does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The ranking is a product of the school's marks. Not the other way around.

Lukybear

HSC
Thats quite not true. Sure your school rank means nothing, but the performance of your cohort will affect you, IF you are not ranked 1st.

dolbinau

HSC
Lukybear said:
Thats quite not true. Sure your school rank means nothing, but the performance of your cohort will affect you, IF you are not ranked 1st.
I don't think so...only if you say slack off in the internal assessment and then do much better in the external exam. If you do your best in the internal+external assessment then you shouldn't be at any disadvantage, no matter what your internal rank or school rank. (Ignoring other factors e.g quality of teaching)

dp624

HSC
I think digimonstudent is overestimating his ability. 'crapper' schools (prepare for generalisation) often have more poorly written exams. also you can't gauge your performance.
dude i think that atm you really should have an aim lower than 100

also your sc marks arent scaled at all, its just aligning. and if they got aligned to 91 or something, you probably got ~85 or lower raw.

lol namu you smashed me in sc hard.

spence

HSC
digimonstudent said:
my teacher told me that after the markers mark it they put the marks in a computer n then the computer does something to it(makes mine worse). dont be so sure that every1 will forget bout ur SC marks. all my teachers/ parents expected me to do well n i failed. that really upsets them. the kids in my school r the biggest smart assess evah. if i dont get 95+ in a test they come up n keep teasing me about till the rest of the year. i try to ignore those dumb assess but sometimes i just resort to fighting them. these kids get so annoying n there so hateful. u cant imagine how annoying they r. :chainsaw:
You go to a really bad school, with people there make fun of you if you get less than 95, and you're surprised that your external marks are lower than your internals?

lionking1191

HSC
lol this is why BOS and UAC send fifty thousand billion copies of how "marks are determined" and "how uai is calculated" in the lead-up to the hsc

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
lionking1191 said:
lol this is why BOS and UAC send fifty thousand billion copies of how "marks are determined" and "how uai is calculated" in the lead-up to the hsc
And don't forget they come to your school and explain it.

dolbinau

HSC
Fortify said:
Do they? No one came to my school, at least not that I can remember. hmmm.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Fortify said:
I don't think all schools get that kind of opportunity. My school certainly did but I am not sure some other schools did. And I don't think BOS has that luxury to send people to 600+ schools or so around NSW.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
*jealous*
I feel really REALLY deprived.. I may just appeal, not having had this opportunity. Mebbe not.

OP is a fool, like others have said, he's flattering himself, when in reality, the school's rank hasn't affected his marks.

ALSO... since when has there necessarily been a correlation between SC and HSC marks?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
wixxy2348 said:
*jealous*
I feel really REALLY deprived.. I may just appeal, not having had this opportunity. Mebbe not.

OP is a fool, like others have said, he's flattering himself, when in reality, the school's rank hasn't affected his marks.

ALSO... since when has there necessarily been a correlation between SC and HSC marks?
NEVER seeing as the work and skills required for both are pretty much mutually exclusive

fishbulb

HSC
Your school only affects your marks if you are smarter than most people in your schools cohort but you however have a lower ranking. In that case, your school will have a 50% effect on your marks.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A reasonable theory to explain why people who move to higher ranked schools end up getting higher marks than if they stayed in a lower ranked school is because of the difference in environment.

If you were at a not-so-competitive school, then if you top the grade, you really don't have a good indication of your performance relative to the state. So for example, you wouldn't know if your abilities are at the mark range 90 or if they are at 99. You would usually need some external reference to judge your ability.

Also, with less competitive schools, there is less motivation/pressure to excel academically because the work ethic peer pressure just isn't there. If you're at the top you're usually more complacent because you don't think you need anymore effort to maintain the top, so relative to the whole state you might not be doing so well.

Also, if you're at the top and you are stuck on something, generally there aren't many people (particularly within your peers) within the school that can help you.

Usually those who come out on top with impressive marks in lower ranked schools have some sort of external reference to gauge their performance relative to the top end of the state and usually tend to work on their own pace.

A more competitive school (e.g. a selective school) on the other hand has a much more stimulating environment academically. There is definitely some peer pressure to do well which increases motivation/pressure to excel.

Since it's harder to top a competitive school, you get a better idea of how you fare against the top end of the state. So for example, you would know whether you're at the 90 range or the 99 range.

Even if you do manage to top it, you would have a lower chance of being complacent beacuse those just below you are often snapping at your feet lol

Also, if you happen to get stuck on something, you generally can refer to your 'smarter' peers to help you, whereas that wouldn't be so readily available in a much lower ranked school.

However, in the end it's generally up to the person as an individual. I know people who just can't stand competitive environments and others who thrive on them...

Last edited:

Kalashnikov47

HSC
The myth: Whichever school you go does not matter, it is always up to you and how you study.

The truth: the school does not effect you is truly wishful thinking. Your environment will effect how you perform, deeply.

I heard about that "myth" on schools over and over again for a million times when I was planning to change school after year 10. My decision turned out to be absolutely right. Now I want to tell people still believe in that myth: go and fuck yourself.

dolbinau

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
The myth: Whichever school you go does not matter, it is always up to you and how you study.

The truth: the school does not effect you is truly wishful thinking. Your environment will effect how you perform, deeply.

I heard about that "myth" on schools over and over again for a million times when I was planning to change school after year 10. My decision turned out to be absolutely right. Now I want to tell people still believe in that myth: go and fuck yourself.
Bitter much? I think whether it is a 'Myth' or not depends on the person...

dp624

HSC
dolbinau said:
Bitter much? I think whether it is a 'Myth' or not depends on the person...
No myth. Environment is such a big factor it isnt' funny

dolbinau

HSC
dp624 said:
No myth. Environment is such a big factor it isnt' funny
But to say you cannot do well in lower ranked/less academic schools is not true at all - a lot of people achieve just fine results through (for the most part) their own efforts..

I suppose it can certainly have an effect, for some a massive effect, but this is (obviously) not always the case. It depends on the person..

dp624

HSC
Agreed, but for most people it will help a lot. I think the extra willpower you need to muster when going to a lower ranked school can tax you a lot. Like, at a good school, you can screw up one assessment and do well. if you're at a bad school, you absolutely must top every assessment so yea, its harder

HSC
what the hell is wrong with the boreofstudies server? it keeps saying theres some sort of network timeout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)