Done every 4u paper (2 Viewers)

Triage

HSC
N/A
73/100 would put you above 90 definitely.
However, remember that your own marking is not an accurate representation of the HSC marking.
Also, if I were you, I'd be revisiting the questions you couldn't do for the HSC. This will ensure you have the best chance to tackle the really hard questions that come up, rather than simply being stuck with a lot of marks and a lot of time nearing the end of a test
This is a fair point.

Given the amount of questions in a 4u paper that are prove questions.

Is it possible that someone could be marking themselves 80 and actually be getting 60?

mreditor16

HSC
This is a fair point.

Is it possible that someone could be marking themselves 80 and actually be getting 60?
don't think it'd be that much of a gap.

IR

HSC
Are you guys doing the whole papers? Or just the difficult looking questions? And JRAHS doesnt seem to have much harder ext1 questions? Neither does CSSA? If someone has the papers which more harder ext 1 please tell me the names.

Last edited:
HSC
Are you guys doing the whole papers? Or just the difficult looking questions? And JRAHS doesnt seem to have much harder ext1 questions?
I always seem to skip question 1 (because it's integration and their typical sorts of questions), most of question 2 and I begin at 3 :D

Triage

HSC
N/A
I always seem to skip question 1 (because it's integration and their typical sorts of questions), most of question 2 and I begin at 3 :D
I only do question 13, 14, 15 in the new system or 5, 6, 7 in the old.

I am fairly certain of the marks I will get in the first few questions, and positive of the mark I will get in the last question.

IR

HSC
And? Do you say doing them again would be a good thing"? And how many do you do in a day?
Is doing 3 CSSA and 3 JRAHS and 3 Sydney Boys an overload, considering I skip the first 2 questions?

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is a fair point.

Most certainly, and I observed this when marking BOS Trials.

Many people for Q16 thought they figured out the problem and had a complete 'proof', but often the entire thing was flawed or based on flawed assumptions that made the question easier, scoring them zero. For example, for the circle geometry problem, about 30 out of 60 of candidates attempted the problem and 'got it out'. However, only about 2 or 3 people actually got it out.

IR

HSC

Many people for Q16 thought they figured out the problem and had a complete 'proof', but often the entire thing was flawed or based on flawed assumptions that made the question easier, scoring them zero. For example, for the circle geometry problem, about 30 out of 60 of candidates attempted the problem and 'got it out'. However, only about 2 or 3 people actually got it out.
I wouldn't compare BOS Trials to HSC though. My average in HSC papers is around in 98 in new and 116/120 in old papers with the paper done in average of 2-2.5 hrs. On the other hand BOS 2013 and 2012 averages was like 64 and the 2014 one was even lower and needed the exact 3hr time.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't compare BOS Trials to HSC though. My average in HSC papers is around in 98 in new and 116/120 in old papers with the paper done in average of 2-2.5 hrs. On the other hand BOS 2013 and 2012 averages was like 64 and the 2014 one was even lower and needed the exact 3hr time.
That doesn't address my point, which was that students in the upper tier tend to often think they get questions out when they actually didn't.

How do you know your average is ACTUALLY 98? How do you know for sure, unless properly marked by a more experienced marker that score you claim is actually the score you will get?

Not saying that you're deluding yourself, but I'm saying that the better the student is, the more prone they are to giving themselves marks where they shouldn't be.

HSC marking is unfortunately more than just getting the answer, it is also for showing the working out, and "trivial" steps that we skip may actually have marks attached to them.

iStudent

HSC
Is there a way of getting our answers back for bos trials? (physical form or whatever)
*if there is, but I'd have to go all the way to usyd then nvm that's too far :p

IR

HSC
That doesn't address my point, which was that students in the upper tier tend to often think they get questions out when they actually didn't.

How do you know your average is ACTUALLY 98? How do you know for sure, unless properly marked by a more experienced marker that score you claim is actually the score you will get?

Not saying that you're deluding yourself, but I'm saying that the better the student is, the more prone they are to giving themselves marks where they shouldn't be.

HSC marking is unfortunately more than just getting the answer, it is also for showing the working out, and "trivial" steps that we skip may actually have marks attached to them.
I mark with the answers in the success one book. Can't seem to find the answers for the old papers. But I see what you mean.

integral95

HSC

One example in my 3U paper,I had to prove something using the perpendicular distance formula, then i got something like

I lost a mark for that as i didn't prove that it's a positive definite i.e x^2+x+1 > 0

IR

HSC
One example in my 3U paper,I had to prove something using the perpendicular distance formula, then i got something like

I lost a mark for that as i didn't prove that it's a positive definite i.e x^2+x+1 > 0
Yes don't you generally have to do that? Or you just forgot?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I would definitely point in the direction of the circle geo in 3U.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have 2014 North Sydney Boys extension 2 trial solutions?

edit: found them

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have 2014 North Sydney Boys extension 2 trial solutions?

edit: found them
are you requiring more 2014 papers check my sig. If you require other subjects or ones not listed pm me.
(if it has an 's' at the end of trial excl. the english ones, then someone got it off me)

IR

HSC
Can anyone please provide me with 2005 CSSA 4U solutions by PM?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)