Dumbbell Question (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hi
I started doing light weights every night for the last week, now, I did 5kg ( lol) and I felt pain after id do like 3 sets of 12, now I can do like 3 sets of 20 and not feel anything.... does that mean im doing nothing to help my muscles or am I just getting use to it?

quik.

HSC
Define pain? If it is pain as in 'fuck that hurts!' that is your body telling you something is going pretty wrong, stop doing whatever you are doing.

If the pain is just general muscle soreness, that is normal. Generally it goes away with time, however if you change the exercises you are doing or the intensity you do them at it can come back.

Basically your body gets used to things. That's what it does, adapts to a given stimulus.

The lack of soreness doesn't necessarily mean you are not making progress. If you are continually increasing the weight used, you are obviously getting stronger. Most people reach a point where they need to 'change things up' to keep progressing at a steady rate. When you stop making noticeable gains, change things around.

By the way, 3 sets of 20 is considered too light by most for muscle/strength gains. However if 3x20 works for you, by all means, keep at it.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I mean general muscle soreness.

So if I do high reps of 5 kg is it better then low reps of 6 kg.

As I said im just wondering, since I dont get that pain anymore. ( the good one)

quik.

HSC
It depends on what you are trying to do.

If you want to increase your strength, or gain muscle, sets of 8-12 will be most beneficial to start with in my opinion. As you learn correct form for stuff, you can go heavier and do less reps.

Compare it this way. Sprinters are lower reps, endurance athletes are higher reps.
By doing 20reps per set, you're training for muscle endurance more than anything.

I aint never seen no jacked marathon runners.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I just want to make my arms bigger, thats all. so I should do more then 20 reps per set?

Eddie The Eagle

HSC
hey may i say there is no point doing 20reps of an exercise.
you need to do between 6 to 10 reps and every few weeks increase the weight for a training effect. You should join a gym so u can work all the different muscle groups too.
Also have a look at bodyduilding.com a very good website.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
ok, im not questioning you in a negative way, but why is doing 20 reps useless?

Boxes

Banned
HSC
because it does nothing to benefit your muscles. increase your weight, and lower your reps. you'll see a massive difference.

Eddie The Eagle

HSC
ok doing 20 reps is endurance training like the other guy said do u see an buff marathon runners. to build muscle do the most u can lift for 6-10 reps as u get stronger increase the weight not the reps.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
by the way, how's your form when you do dumbbells?

do you keep your back straight, elbows close to your body?

quik.

HSC
It's not.

However 20 reps is not going to help you a great deal in gaining strength or size. It's mainly going to build muscle endurance.

It will possibly help in maintaining muscle once you have got some, but in general the higher you go in the rep range, the less focus you are putting on strength. Once you go past 15 reps, you are also limiting the focus on size.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I see, so since my aim is for the muscles to get bigger, I will increase the weight and lower the reps ( to 8-12).

My back is straight, I saw my friend doing his curls and his arm was actually leaning infront of his torso, right on the edge though.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help.

Now, what exercises can I do that focus on the tricep, deltoid and one that does the shoulders.

Thanks.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
Thanks for all the help.

Now, what exercises can I do that focus on the tricep, deltoid and one that does the shoulders.

Thanks.
hold on, i'll get you this website that'll be perfect for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)