English adv. vs. extension 1 (1 Viewer)

oot123

HSC
N/A
I can’t decide if I want to do English advanced or extension 1 for the prelim course. Initially i only wanted to do adv. but then so many seniors told me how much for fun ext.1 is and i like the fact that there’s a research project which I don’t have in my other subjects.

however I’m already doing maths extension 1 next term and do not want to drop it. I also don’t LOVE reading.

what are some reasons why people like adv. or ext.1?

mandemindiguise

HSC
I can’t decide if I want to do English advanced or extension 1 for the prelim course. Initially i only wanted to do adv. but then so many seniors told me how much for fun ext.1 is and i like the fact that there’s a research project which I don’t have in my other subjects.

however I’m already doing maths extension 1 next term and do not want to drop it. I also don’t LOVE reading.

what are some reasons why people like adv. or ext.1?
what r all the subjects u plan to take

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
for ur prelims you can certainly do ext1 english since you have to do 12 units anyway right? you seem to have an interest in it and if it ends up being overwhelming/not a strong subject then you can drop it for year 12. agree with previous responses saying less english is better, if it's not smth ur good at then it's only gonna lower ur atar but I would say go for ext1 to at least see how it is

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
I did both extensions! It is certainly manageable. For me, I loved english ext because:
- usually more interesting texts
- smaller classes --> more discussion based then worksheets
- most ppl from my school found english ext easier and less demanding than adv
- more study periods!

You don't have to love reading! (I certainly didnt) Typically, the texts studied have a bunch of online resources so you can get away with not reading the texts however it is always recommended to read texts.

Usually, schools offer a two week period where you can switch subjects. I recommend that you flip through some of the prelim and hsc textbooks to see if you like the content and to ask seniors on how your school performs in your subjects (or you could just check hsc ninja stats)

Hope this helps!

sabito

HSC
i will say pick up 3u english just because

u can always drop (i assume ur school forces u to do 14 units at the start)

the truth is more than half the class drop 3u english at the start of yr 12, but just remember maths > english

and the workload in 3u english is insane

lastly, pls don't do 3u english and 3u maths in yr 12, that's not a smart choice for a multitude of reasons

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
lastly, pls don't do 3u english and 3u maths in yr 12, that's not a smart choice for a multitude of reasons
hey!
out of curiosity, what are the multitude of reasons to do not do double 3u? also what makes you say the workload is insane?

also to the op:
- only year 11 has a research project --> Year 12 does not unless u choose to do 4u english
- choose subjects that you genuinely enjoy, if u don't feel like u would enjoy english ext, don't feel compelled to choose it

empowered

HSC
I did both extensions! It is certainly manageable. For me, I loved english ext because:
- more study periods!

You don't have to love reading! (I certainly didnt) Typically, the texts studied have a bunch of online resources so you can get away with not reading the texts however it is always recommended to read texts.

Usually, schools offer a two week period where you can switch subjects. I recommend that you flip through some of the prelim and hsc textbooks to see if you like the content and to ask seniors on how your school performs in your subjects (or you could just check hsc ninja stats)

Hope this helps!
Vouch, would definitely say I enjoyed eng ext for these reasons!

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
i will say pick up 3u english just because

u can always drop (i assume ur school forces u to do 14 units at the start)

the truth is more than half the class drop 3u english at the start of yr 12, but just remember maths > english

and the workload in 3u english is insane

why?

C_master

HSC
- more study periods!

Hope this helps!
how is eng ext less demanding than adv?

Bronx_Tips

HSC
- more study periods!

Hope this helps!
ENGLISH EXTENSION IS JUST TOO MUCH IN YEAR 12 DONT DOMNTDONTDONT

TrueAlpha

HSC
how is eng ext less demanding than adv?
Because as the name states it is merely an extension of English. For those that enjoy English, the extension course just feels like a bonus. Not once did it really feel like an obligation to me this year. With fewer modules and fewer texts, it’s a course that allows you to travel at your own pace whilst still providing rewarding results.

sabito

HSC
the biggest problem is that the one extra unit that ext 1 english gives you basically has 2 units worth of work (let's say compared to business or legal)

trust me, 3u english is a lot of work

so two units worth of work is only yielding you one unit in result in 3u english

the other factor is 4u maths --> obviously it scales well...

but, if you do 4u maths, ur 3u maths automatically goes from 50 to 100 (think about it, even if you get zero for 4u, ur 3u marks still automatically double) --> this is honestly rlly stupid. + it scales rlly well as well

to be fair, all extension courses apart from maths is objectively (i don't care whether u like it or if ur good at it --> just ROI + scaling) not worth it, for the reasons stated above (result on investment --> two units of work yielding only one unit)

going back to maths, 3u english is not worth it objectively because of the existence of 4u maths (its stupid scaling) and ROI, and I feel like 3u maths + english is completely not worth it because you are doing 8 units of work while only yielding 6 units of work + ur missing out on the 3u double mark if you do 4u maths (assuming u do 2u english + 4u maths --> which is the choice among top achievers)

here my two cents, pls feel free to disagree and we can explore this explore down in the thread!

Last edited:

sabito

HSC
sorry for the thesis everyone + pls don't dox me after this post + spill all the secrets for yall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)