English adv. vs. extension 1 (1 Viewer)

TrueAlpha

HSC
the biggest problem is that the one extra unit that ext 1 english gives you basically has 2 units worth of work (let's say compared to business or legal)

trust me, 3u english is a lot of work

so two units worth of work is only yielding you one unit in result in 3u english

the other factor is 4u maths --> obviously it scales well...

but, if you do 4u maths, ur 3u maths automatically goes from 50 to 100 (think about it, even if you get zero for 4u, ur 3u marks still automatically double) --> this is honestly rlly stupid. + it scales rlly well as well

to be fair, all extension courses apart from maths is objectively (i don't care whether u like it or if ur good at it --> just ROI + scaling) not worth it, for the reasons stated above (result on investment --> two units of work yielding only one unit)

going back to maths, 3u english is not work it objectively because of the existence of 4u maths (its stupid scaling) and ROI, and I feel like 3u maths + english is completely not worth it because you are doing 8 units of work while only yielding 6 units of work + ur missing out on the 3u double mark if you do 4u maths (assuming u do 2u english + 4u maths --> which is the choose among top achievers)

here my two cents, pls feel free to disagree and we can explore this explore down in the thread!
I mean ig that’s fair enough but at the end of the day for me personally Extension 1 English did feel like just an extra unit. Also I feel like OP should go for it cos they can drop whenever they like at the end of the day. But all your points are valid.

Also side note the PFP is straight fire!!

sabito

HSC
I mean ig that’s fair enough but at the end of the day for me personally Extension 1 English did feel like just an extra unit. Also I feel like OP should go for it cos they can drop whenever they like at the end of the day. But all your points are valid.

Also side note the PFP is straight fire!!
about the pfp, i think i will be dox because i preach about Sana at school

and yea, i agree, i also recommended op to keep and drop to see how it goes in a earlier post--> in fact, a school forces u to do 3u english in yr 11 (to supposedly boost their 2u english)

surely we can get matching pfp, @TrueAlpha + everyone watching!

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
the biggest problem is that the one extra unit that ext 1 english gives you basically has 2 units worth of work (let's say compared to business or legal)
totally agree that it has a 2 unit workload despite it being a 1 unit subject. However as english ext, is an extension of english adv, the skills are transferrable between the two subjects (i.e creative writing, essay writing structure) unlike english adv with either business or legal, with all three subjects having differing essay structures.

Considering that 2u of english must count at the end of the day, any extra english practice doesn't harm too much (You can just do it for y11 and drop it for y12). Also, hypothetically, if a student (that does 11 units or more) bombs english adv but does really well in english ext, only half of the english adv will be counted. So I guess it can be seen as some security measure?

to be fair, all extension courses apart from maths is objectively (i don't care whether u like it or if ur good at it --> just ROI + scaling) not worth it, for the reasons stated above (result on investment --> two units of work yielding only one unit)
100% agree that maths ext 2 is a great subject with high scaling, however you have to consider the interest and ability of each student. Not everyone is capable of 4u maths even with tutoring and even for students who are capable of 4u maths, their strengths as well as interests may lie elsewhere. Not everyone who gets a great ATAR does 4u maths and in fact there are 99.95s that don't do math at all.

Also to OP, how good is your school's english department? If it's not good, I won't recommend it unless you are really interested.

Anyways love the sana support, from a jeongyeon stan :)

TrueAlpha

HSC
totally agree that it has a 2 unit workload despite it being a 1 unit subject. However as english ext, is an extension of english adv, the skills are transferrable between the two subjects (i.e creative writing, essay writing structure) unlike english adv with either business or legal, with all three subjects having differing essay structures.

Considering that 2u of english must count at the end of the day, any extra english practice doesn't harm too much (You can just do it for y11 and drop it for y12). Also, hypothetically, if a student (that does 11 units or more) bombs english adv but does really well in english ext, only half of the english adv will be counted. So I guess it can be seen as some security measure?

100% agree that maths ext 2 is a great subject with high scaling, however you have to consider the interest and ability of each student. Not everyone is capable of 4u maths even with tutoring and even for students who are capable of 4u maths, their strengths as well as interests may lie elsewhere. Not everyone who gets a great ATAR does 4u maths and in fact there are 99.95s that don't do math at all.

Also to OP, how good is your school's english department? If it's not good, I won't recommend it unless you are really interested.

Anyways love the sana support, from a jeongyeon stan :)
Yesss, the transferability of the skills between advanced and extension English is something I failed to mention but was so useful.

Additionally, I found that my extension studies were providing me with an advantage in advanced as I was learning how to deeper analyse texts and how to make my arguments more defined and complex.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
is it dumb if I do English ext if I want to go into med?

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
cause im not good at English and keep getting B's but my teacher keeps forcing me
if you don't like it and not good at it, I don't reckon u do english ext. Considering you are aiming for med, I am assuming you are more stem inclined? so maybe focus on your stem subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)