English Standard vs Advanced (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Buddy let me tell you something.... come closer -_- no a little more closer..... DO STANDARD ENGLISH BECAUSE ITS AWESOME!

lol it's up too you, but if you are aiming in the 90's range, don't do it. But if you are aiming in the 80's range and you're getting around pass mark, then go for standard.
Why? It's because it will require less effort but no big reward.

STANDARD WOO!
You do realise you do pretty much the exact same thing in Advanced, but you get punished harsher with aligning in Standard? So really, most times - it's logical to go to Advanced?

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
Don't drop down, my older brother dropped down to Standard from Advanced because he thought he'd do better in Standard, turns out that it wasn't much of a difference in difficulty for him and he ended up with quite a low ATAR because of the scaling. He wishes he'd never done the move, so DON'T DO IT BRAH

Last edited:

mrteeson

HSC
i do standard how much does it "ruin" your atar? i though they took raw marks so aligning wasnt the biggest deal... probably get people screaming at me idiot lol :p
"how much does it "ruin" your atar?" ALOT it does a lot of damage if you don't get above the states average performance. My english teacher who is 12 years+ exp said from her teaching exp its very rare to get band 6s in stand. She recommands ppl get at least high band 5s in order to be 'safe' from scaling.

My current ranks are good in stand eng but my marks are JUST around band 5 (80-84) and yes this marks are still giving me shit percentile and scaling (even SOR is scaling higher for me atm). Just to be safe get high bands 5s+, don't rely on the aligning of your raw marks.

StephanieMit

HSC
I chose advanced English for year 11 but my teacher said I'll get a band 5 in advanced. Now seeing this, I don't want to drop. I'm just really bad at poems with their techniques and I'm scared in case I do bad. But I need a challenge and I think it's the right subject to challenge me. I'm aiming for at least 77-80% because the average at my school is 80% and above.

inJust

HSC
how come its not bad on atar calculators? i know they are not official but its still an estimate
It's because getting a band 6 is nearly impossible. Heck, getting an 85 is difficult. Just do advanced.

get_back23

HSC
thanks guys
dont listen to these cunts man, they are saying how shit standard english can mess up your atar, but you realise apart from it counting toward your atar no matter how shit u do, its just 2 fkn units out of 10.

It is a shit choice comparing to advanced, but your always have 8 other units.

HSC
N/A
I chose advanced English for year 11 but my teacher said I'll get a band 5 in advanced. Now seeing this, I don't want to drop. I'm just really bad at poems with their techniques and I'm scared in case I do bad. But I need a challenge and I think it's the right subject to challenge me. I'm aiming for at least 77-80% because the average at my school is 80% and above.
You can always improve! Identifying techniques in poems is a matter of having knowledge of the techniques and being able to apply them. Practice makes perfect and all that.

hasdhil

HSC
Well what exactly does "not amazing" mean?? A lot of people think about scaling when they choose a subject but I want to say that scaling will not always be good in Advanced English if you are not doing well it might actually scale down. Also it is important to take into consideration your personal capabilities when doing a subject, the amount of time and effort you are willing to put into improving your marks and ranking.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
dont listen to these cunts man, they are saying how shit standard english can mess up your atar, but you realise apart from it counting toward your atar no matter how shit u do, its just 2 fkn units out of 10.

It is a shit choice comparing to advanced, but your always have 8 other units.
You're fucked, why have 2 shit units when you could go so much better if you were to select advanced?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Like everyone has said in this thread, you do advanced! It's really not a lot more difficult than standard and the benefits are massive.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
Look, it really depends - I've seen students when I've worked in schools who are really that bad at English (the fault of society and the school system in this country for not giving them the help they needed all the way through - one of my pet hates, but I'll try to resist that tangent) who would without a doubt fail Advanced. Unfortunately, they are not likely to do particularly well in Standard either. If you get the right help, you can probably do perfectly well in Advanced, but it's really difficult for people to give adequate advice without actually seeing the standard of your work. If you get really organised and hand in the work early to your teacher for feedback and help to improve it, then hand it in after applying that feedback (I'd correspond with your teacher several times with several drafts before handing it in, if at all possible) you should be fine. There are plenty of places you can get external help, as well. I edit and provide HSC assessment help, and I'm sure you'd find others who do the same - in fact, you may even have someone in your family who is willing to help you. Don't try to get through the HSC on your own strength - find the right help for you, and try to keep contact up with your teachers. They're in the best position to help you improve your marks, and most teachers love to have students show an interest and dedication.

Naz1234

HSC
I did standard and topped the year out of 200 students.

Standard is fun, there is so much inclusion of you opinions and ideas. Its not easy though and I can imagine Advanced is probably not "easy" as well.

If your doing standard don't listen to what others say do well, get top ranks and your safe. TRUST ME. As in the case for other subjects which dont scale as high.
If you are in advance, still dont drop to standard.

Aysce

HSC
I'm sure OP knows what decision to make lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)