Essay writing in uni (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys!
Was wondering if anyone could give a few tips and pointers on writing essays in uni
When an essay question starts off with "critically analyse....", what kind of criteria would I have to keep in mind when writing the essay in order to effectively answer the question?
Thanks! :)

enoilgam

HSC
With uni essays, it often depends on what the lecturer/marker wants from the response. Some have very specific requirements, whilst others are laissez faire in that they will mark almost anything you put in front of them. So try to suss out your lecturer get something more specific.

Generally speaking though, "Critically analyse" usually means to examine an issue thoroughly by looking at a variety of arguments.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
SGSII there is a Writing Hub that can help out. I can send you details... they are mostly PhD students helping out fellow undergraduates/graduates. :D

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
SGSII there is a Writing Hub that can help out. I can send you details... they are mostly PhD students helping out fellow undergraduates/graduates. :D
Yes please :) Thatd be great!

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Another question :)
When being presented with an argument, what questions should I ask myself when critically ripping it apart?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@enoil

How do you write critically? That is one thing I cannot do effectively.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
@enoil

Generally speaking, think about everything. All sides of the possible arguments - what gives them effect and takes them away. Give authority to your statements. It's more effective to say "Blah blah as stated by ______" or "blah blah as shown in ________" than simply just saying "blah blah". Don't take anything for granted, and most of all don't waffle (keep it relevant).

pHyRe

HSC
can i get a PM for that writing hub too? thanks

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Writing Hub: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/writing_hub/

Learning Center: http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/learning_centre/

Learning center generally opens up during the first week of the semester, and they're full pretty much on the same day. So I recommend getting in early. On top of that tutors NEVER read drafts. And from what I've heard people from the writing hub can just give you some tips on your structure and grammar but they'll never be able to actually say whether your essay is actually relevant to the topic (especially if they've never done your subject. Then again this is a subject opinion as this is what my classmates have told me about the writing hub).

On top of that, try not to stray too far away from the topic, even if you wanted to build or critique (might be outside of the scope) upon it. I did this in my first semester essay and exam and pretty much got owned by doing it.

In addition to those tips. Some PDF's attached which I found helpful during my first year.

View attachment ECOP1001 Guide to writing essays.pdfView attachment Critical thinking exercise.pdf

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Writing Hub: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/writing_hub/

Learning Center: http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/learning_centre/

Learning center generally opens up during the first week of the semester, and they're full pretty much on the same day. So I recommend getting in early. On top of that tutors NEVER read drafts. And from what I've heard people from the writing hub can just give you some tips on your structure and grammar but they'll never be able to actually say whether your essay is actually relevant to the topic (especially if they've never done your subject. Then again this is a subject opinion as this is what my classmates have told me about the writing hub).

On top of that, try not to stray too far away from the topic, even if you wanted to build or critique (might be outside of the scope) upon it. I did this in my first semester essay and exam and pretty much got owned by doing it.

In addition to those tips. Some PDF's attached which I found helpful during my first year.

View attachment 30150View attachment 30151
I've had classes where tutors/professors were more than happy to make comments on drafts provided you got them in by a certain date.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
I've had classes where tutors/professors were more than happy to make comments on drafts provided you got them in by a certain date.
Really!??!? Shittttttt.... My tutors for the past 1.5 years all said no. They pretty much quote that its an unfair advantage plus they didn't have time. Maybe its my faculty? Both ECOP/GOVT departments said no :(

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
@enoil

Critical analysis can involve presenting a variety of viewpoints and using them to arrive at your own viewpoint. Alternatively, you can present a view and then show it's weaknesses (i.e. "Bloggs states X. However, Bloggs fails to consider Y. According to Black, this fundamentally negates the findings of Bloggs").

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a bunch for the resources guys! :)

You lucky one!
I've asked both my lecturers and tutors for comments and they both said no :'(

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Guys, this might sound like a silly question but this just something I need to clarify.
When you introduce the article you are critically analysing in your introduction, is there a specific correct way to do it? - like author, title, year, pages

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys, this might sound like a silly question but this just something I need to clarify.
When you introduce the article you are critically analysing in your introduction, is there a specific correct way to do it? - like author, title, year, pages
No, not really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)