• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Essay writing in uni (1 Viewer)

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Guys, this might sound like a silly question but this just something I need to clarify.
When you introduce the article you are critically analysing in your introduction, is there a specific correct way to do it? - like author, title, year, pages
I'll PM you something. Generally, its done by citation eg: Biggs (2004) stated that blah blah blah. But it really depends on citation style and how you would like to introduce it.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll PM you something. Generally, its done by citation eg: Biggs (2004) stated that blah blah blah. But it really depends on citation style and how you would like to introduce it.
Yay okay thanks!

enoilgam

HSC
Guys, this might sound like a silly question but this just something I need to clarify.
When you introduce the article you are critically analysing in your introduction, is there a specific correct way to do it? - like author, title, year, pages
I wouldnt critically analyse in the introduction - the intro should state your thesis and give a quick overview of what you will discuss throughout the response.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
I wouldnt critically analyse in the introduction - the intro should state your thesis and give a quick overview of what you will discuss throughout the response.
Yep and if you do mention any material that is not your own (articles, research papers, theories, etc) just remember to cite them even if its in the intro.

Also, having more references isn't necessarily a good thing. Quality > Quantity as standard.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you reference properly.

In uni, the standards are incredibly strict compared to high school.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A

Seconded. For anyone that is looking at this thread for help. I recommend using EndNote. Incredibly powerful referencing tool. Most of the time you are able to import references straight from the source of your journal article and the libraries which are on the list (ANU,USYD, etc).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

This. Even if you used a tiny bit, reference it. Also, aim to reference only primary sources. You can lose LOTS of marks if you don't reference properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)