Extension English (1 Viewer)

HSC
bobness said:
zomg doesn't ANYONE here do fairy tales? and critical readings of them?
on second thoughts .. avoid fairy tales :)
Im doing fairytales and doing critical analysis on them. Its weird, but interesting.

anniea89

HSC
Term 1- Fairy tales
Term 2- Frankenstein and appropriations
Term 3- Mrs Dalloway and The Hours

I really like ext english. My marks weren't great at first but they've started to pick up. I don't think it matters if you're rank is low in ext eng, as long as you can do well in advanced.

dombro

HSC
yeah im in a class of 8 (only guy), and we're spending the year on satire....so far we've dun the simpsons, muriels wedding, fahrenheit 451, northanger abbey, and we're doing the importance of being earnest now....
All in all- great topic...good mix of texts....culda bin worse....but a cuple of these have bin a little harder for me then for others.....wat guy in their rite mind reads gothic romance willingly with a passion.....but im copin.....

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
prelims should be close to over for you year 11 folks and its time for the mad scramble to get into an enligh extension two class

good luck for all. i did cr*p in advanced but was close to topping extension so i got accepted. and don't worry about any marks you scored in prelim that's all done. its hsc ftw from now!

kloudsurfer

HSC
bobness said:
prelims should be close to over for you year 11 folks and its time for the mad scramble to get into an enligh extension two class

good luck for all. i did cr*p in advanced but was close to topping extension so i got accepted. and don't worry about any marks you scored in prelim that's all done. its hsc ftw from now!
To get into? There are like three people doing it at my school! Nevertheless, we have a class, as we do every single year despite the few people who choose it.

On the topic of Extension 1, I take back all my complaining before, we are finally doing something cool. Were doing a french play from the 50's called 'Waiting for Godot'. Sure, its as crazy and abstract as out other texts, but it is interesting. Its got all these trippy existentialist themes and all, its great.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
bobness said:
Durr.. our teacher just asked us if we wanted to do ext. 2 or not, no scramble or anything. By the way, did you do ext.2(if so what) and what'd you do for ext. 1?

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Wish I did ext English, just so I could drop both chem & business studies.

chuckabanjo

HSC
Extenson's awesome. We've done gothic this whole year - started with 'Frankenstein' first term, second term we did 'Rebecca' and this term we've been doing 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. It's pretty freaky because for the whole first term when we were doing Frankenstein, every arvo class we had it would storm . . .

lulabelle

HSC
wow everyone seems to be doing something completely different to what we're doing - we did The Taming Of The Shrew and the appropriation 10 Things I Hate About You, we also did postmodernism, modernism, feminism etc. but we focused on post-colonialism and did Disgrace by J.M Coetzee which is a really good book for anyone who likes looking for metaphors

I think english ext. is so much better than english, we did 'relationships' in english which is the most cliched thing ever and we had to write an essay about it as well how it changes who we are and affects our perception of the world blah blah

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
lulabelle said:
wow everyone seems to be doing something completely different to what we're doing - we did The Taming Of The Shrew and the appropriation 10 Things I Hate About You, we also did postmodernism, modernism, feminism etc. but we focused on post-colonialism and did Disgrace by J.M Coetzee which is a really good book for anyone who likes looking for metaphors

I think english ext. is so much better than english, we did 'relationships' in english which is the most cliched thing ever and we had to write an essay about it as well how it changes who we are and affects our perception of the world blah blah
Holy crap, we did Taming of The Shrew and 10 Things... in Year 10. I loathed that... :(

Well, I have my Prelim Exam on Friday... I'm not too sure that I'm going to do very well, I have been VERY lazy this year (that's going to change this week).

Our teacher actually told our class one of the 2 questions for the exam, so I should be writing it very soon and handing to my advanced teacher for a bit of an idea.

But yeah, Utopian/Dystopian literature is amazing, to any 08's here, I highly recommend doing EE if you are doing this topic.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
we've just done postmodernism- studied buffy the vampire slayer "prophecy girl" and "run lola run" (gosh i loathe that movie).

exam tuesday week.
one hour.
one question.
they've already given us the question-

one view of postmodernism is that it is
"the subversion of the old and
the construction of the new."
where for you does the interest of postmodernism lie?

we need to use buffy, run, and our own text. im thinking of "the butterfly effect"?

i think they're expecting around 5 pages???
its going to be practice essays from here on...

by the way, who here is continuing with just extension 1 next year?

woho

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Wow. We have 4 periods a day, 5 if you include the 45 minute period 0 for seniors. They are about 75 minutes and we have 20 min recess 1, 15 minute recess 2 and 35 minutes for lunch. We used to have 8 periods about 6 years ago but they decided to halve it.

We have about 18 people, but the teacher thinks half the class is crap and wants to cut it down to 8. Its held online.

Anyway, we are doing the worst. ever. topic. It is on Text, Culture and Value. It is just so broad, it can be applied to ANY text at all. Which is why I dont understand why our teacher chose such crappy texts.

I would kill to be doing something NORMAL like Farenheit 451, or The Crucible (ive done them in normal English).
Instead, all we have done are random boring texts which no one understands or enjoys. Maybe if we did something interesting, everyone wouldnt be failing.

Anyway, we've done some T.S. Eliot, Gerald Manly Hopkins and William Carlos Williams poetry and some incredibly boring, abstract short stories that no one understood.

Now we are studying Metropolis, a black and white silent film from 1927. Dont get me started on Metropolis...
Hah! We did that, kinda! Now we've moved onto King Arthur. Joy...

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
Our teacher made a mistake. We have studied a billion texts this year!

First of all Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf with The Hours (book and film)
Then we studied The Catcher in The Rye
And then Dracula by Bram Stoker and the movie Bram Stokers Dracula

Because we studied so many things the texts are our choice. We know we have an essay and we have to talk about how the values change due to the context.

We also have creative writing which is to either write an appropriation or a parody of any of the texts studied. We have to include stream of conciousness writing if doing Mrs Dalloway, and if Catcher in the Rye colloquial language etc.

fishy89sg

HSC
we're doing the 'gothic' genre, which is apparently "an excellent fit for next years crime fiction"

have fun year 12s in my school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)