extra time in exams (1 Viewer)

cataleptic

HSC
I guess I'm neutral on this issue.

There's kids in my year who are perfectly smart, just have issues with their brains processing the words on the paper. So they have to use blue paper to help it, and it still takes a little while longer to process. So i think they get like 2 mins extra per half an hour. Ithink that's pretty fair.

But another kid has a mental issue (depression) and are all like 'It's a disability, I need extra time because of it'. Bullshit - I have depression, and technically it's more of a disability for me because it's genetic. But do I appeal for more time? No. I get on with it and do the job. And I hate when people appeal for special consideration over minor things. Again - i have every right to do as my mum's been in and out of mental hospitals and this has disrupted my schooling and mental stability. Hell - I've even had breakdowns this year which has disrupted my schooling. But do I appeal? No - I get on and do the job. If I can come 1st in biology and society and culture and 5th in maths with these problems, then I think it goes to show that most other people just abuse the system to get extra marks.

If I can do it, with all that shit going on, then so can they.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
cataleptic said:
I guess I'm neutral on this issue.

There's kids in my year who are perfectly smart, just have issues with their brains processing the words on the paper. So they have to use blue paper to help it, and it still takes a little while longer to process. So i think they get like 2 mins extra per half an hour. Ithink that's pretty fair.

But another kid has a mental issue (depression) and are all like 'It's a disability, I need extra time because of it'. Bullshit - I have depression, and technically it's more of a disability for me because it's genetic. But do I appeal for more time? No. I get on with it and do the job. And I hate when people appeal for special consideration over minor things. Again - i have every right to do as my mum's been in and out of mental hospitals and this has disrupted my schooling and mental stability. Hell - I've even had breakdowns this year which has disrupted my schooling. But do I appeal? No - I get on and do the job. If I can come 1st in biology and society and culture and 5th in maths with these problems, then I think it goes to show that most other people just abuse the system to get extra marks.

If I can do it, with all that shit going on, then so can they.
really depends, depression is caused by alot of things, one girl i was friends with was in hospital for a few months with it and quit school because of it. i believe she also has an eating dissorder which would be linked with her depression. another friend of mine has depression as she was raped. shes my hero as shes had to handle this year with the court case and hsc, of course she knows shes not going to do well as shes always been in special ed or whatever the special classes are at school :\ and now shes had to take much time off due to the court case. at least shes giving it a go, thats what i admire about her.
her depression also causes her to cause bodily harm and she also now has bulliemia and other problems.
how bad is yours?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Well, let's see. I get special provisions (laptop) because after writing for more than thirty seconds my wrist starts to hurt. After about five minutes, I literally can barely hold a pen and my handwriting is past illegible and into downright incomprehensible. This is due to overly tight muscles/tendons in my right arm. Is it fair for me to use a computer? I think so - the very slight advantage that it might give me is countered by the enormous disadvantage that I would encounter otherwise. Reader/writer? I wouldn't be able to keep a coherent train of thought, and I wouldn't enjoy having to pause every little while to tell someone how to spell a word. Reasonable? I think so.

Also, re: computer assistance. When you think of being able to type an essay, you think of in Word, with autocorrect and everything else. No. You use wordpad, on a crappy computer with a useless keyboard that you've never seen before, with no spelling, grammar or otherwise. There's plenty of people that can write more in an exam than I can, despite the fact I can type at 80+ WPM.

If you want to talk about injustice, try having a look at the people who get extra time in exams with nothing more than a medical certificate. There's a girl in my grade has claimed extra time because the darling has carpal tunnel syndrome caused by playing the flute. Unfortunately, the board declined to take into account that she writes about 9 A4 pages to the hour.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
depends... a girl at our school gets extra time as she can't see properly... so in that regard it is fair.... laptops... i think shouldn't be allowed what so ever.... if they can type they can write... it's just lazy... tho... one girl in priimary school had to use a laptop as she had no bones in her writing arm... that is ok

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
lucigrace said:
hey jebbie im pretty sure thats u jess.. i hope your not impling i am one of the people you know who does have the special provisions.. and doesnt need it because i most certainly do...its lucy btw. i get provisions of 5 minutes/half hour extra time, plus 5minutes/half hour of rest breaks due to basically the same reason as jebbie.. not holding pen correctly('poor pen mechanic){yes it does have a proper name} and having 'premature pain'.... im not wroughting the system by getting extra time for 'writing slow' as some people may say.. but its actually a problem in subjects where there is enormous amounts of writing.. and it was my teachers not me who told me to sought out special proviosions as they thought it was putting me at a disadvantage as in essays i was physically only able to write approx 2 and a bit pages in 40minutes...it wasnt a problem of running out of things to say... i still had more too say but not enough time to write it in.. i frequently experience pain after about a parargraph of writing .. i ikeep writing.. but i often have to pause and shake my arm numberous amounts of times during the writing period eating away from my writing time (thus i need extra time and rest breaks).. i do use my extra time especially for english and those exams with long responses eg geography... but it only just means i am able to write just as much as everyone else i still on write maybe 1 and abit extra pages but at least it gives a more accurate account of what i am able to write.. my rest breaks i use too but not ever the full amount of time..(30minutes for a 3hr exam) i only used today about 10minutes extra for my 3hr business paper.. it just gives my hand a rest in order for me to fully get through my next extended reponse... but even towards the end of exams i end up having to write with abit of pain cuz i just want the exam to be over and am sick of frequently being by myself still doing the exam whikle everyone has finished..

some people may argue about me getting extra time but it just means i am put at the same level as everyone else and means i can write a decent amount about wat i know..instead of not having enough time due to my stupid arm hurting soo damn much.. i had to do a hell of alot to get it from getting an OT to write a full report on my condition as well as doing handwriting tests with her.. then back at school i had to do 2 30 minute writing tasks to send with my appplication to the board of studies (which i only wrote 2 and 1.5 pahes for may i add)... its not something u can just get without having a genuine problem..

soo i think all u guys should give people who have genuine reasons for special provions a break.. there arnt many people out there without
a guenuine reason for them..

Sif Lucy!! I know you need it. I just didnt apple because I can endure the pain and not slow down, sometimes it needs a few shakes.

I was actually thinking of this twin person.. Hmm.. not too sure if you know them...
Hahaha anyways.. GOOD LUCK MISSY!!

Zedmeister

Terminal Procrastinator
HSC
my legal studies teacher told us about someone who got to type for the hsc instead of write because of some deforming injury

he ended up doing about 3000 words for each essay in him exams

crips have it good

scribes would be really cool to have though =)

"stop massaging your wrists!!"
"Cryptogrammataceae. you heard me"

MarsBarz

HSC
What pisses me off is that the HSC is a test of time. My handwriting isn't particularly messy but I write very slow (Don't ask why, I've just never been a very fast writer). As a result it is all too common for me not to finish my exams, even when I still have a lot to say the time just runs out. And I don't think that's fair. I thought the purpose of the HSC was to test your abilities and knowledge, not your speed-writing.

HSC
thats why people say "hsc marks are not a measure of your intelligence", intelligence can be shown through a million other ways. people learn and react to learning differently

jebbie

HSC
MarsBarz said:
What pisses me off is that the HSC is a test of time. My handwriting isn't particularly messy but I write very slow (Don't ask why, I've just never been a very fast writer). As a result it is all too common for me not to finish my exams, even when I still have a lot to say the time just runs out. And I don't think that's fair. I thought the purpose of the HSC was to test your abilities and knowledge, not your speed-writing.
You only JUST realised the hsc sucks?

Hello, think about all those people with photographic memories.. Ohhh yeh, thats right...

sumkid

Goldmember
HSC
ar3nbe said:
I been wanting to get this of my chest for a while now. Extra time for certain students. I think its totally uncalled for that these students get extra time in HSC exams. Im not trying to me rude, or mean, or cold hearted here, i just think it disadvantaging thost students that have less time.

To put into context, its like me sayin "Hey, i cant remember all my formulas for maths, im going to bring them all into the exam". OR, me going to try out for a football team, and during the fitness test, the coach makes me run 200m because im not fit, and tells other people to run 1000m. It dosnt work, if i want to improve, i need to get better.

Whats more, and what really annoys me, is that one particular studnet at our school, whose coming first in 2U Maths, third in 3U, and top 10 for everything else gets extra time. What the hell for. Did anyone stop to think maybe his doing this well because he has the extra time. Theres another studnet, coming first in ext english, and he types his essays. If only i was allowd to type, i could type twice asmuch as i write.

Now look, the way i see it, everyone should be treated the same, dosn't matter if someone has A.D.D., or bad handwriting.

I didnt write this to affend anybody, infact, ive had extra time once (due to an injury), but i think there is a serious flaw in the system. I would love to hear peoples coments on this.
Coming frm a IT & Business student hav u eva heard of indirect & direct discrimination OK da guy typin da essays dats really bullshit & sme wif da messy writin but the kids with actual disabilitys shouldnt b treatd da sme as every1 else as dat would b an examplke of indirect discrimination

4 example if pregant or cum bak frm injury & u go 2 wrk if the boss treats u da sme as he treats evry1 else dat is indirect discrimination as he is not caterin 4 ur special needs sme if ur cnt speak english fluently or hav trouble understandin. u shouldn't ignore the fact, assuming their english will improve so yeah i tink dat wipes it all ovr ur chest

Michael Jackson

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
You telling me in the HSC this is happening?! That IS unfair....all students should be treated the same!

*DAWN FRAISER ... GUILTY*

jebbie

HSC
sumkid said:
Coming frm a IT & Business student hav u eva heard of indirect & direct discrimination OK da guy typin da essays dats really bullshit & sme wif da messy writin but the kids with actual disabilitys shouldnt b treatd da sme as every1 else as dat would b an examplke of indirect discrimination

4 example if pregant or cum bak frm injury & u go 2 wrk if the boss treats u da sme as he treats evry1 else dat is indirect discrimination as he is not caterin 4 ur special needs sme if ur cnt speak english fluently or hav trouble understandin. u shouldn't ignore the fact, assuming their english will improve so yeah i tink dat wipes it all ovr ur chest

Michael Jackson
well you obviously dont understand english properly.. So lucky you..

sumkid

Goldmember
HSC
jebbie said:
well you obviously dont understand english properly.. So lucky you..
look here *%$ i'm not quite sure what u mean. Dnt u get it, if u trippd ova a cable or ur own rolls of fat 4 dat mattr & smashd ur already un presentable face & got even more brain damaged wuldnt u expect mre time othr dan goin 4 only 2hrs wif ur idiot readr writr tryn 2 decrypt the attemptd communication leaving ur foul odoured cave "Skrzynecki - Crossing the Red Sea"

Last edited:

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
sumkid said:
look here *%$ i'm not quite sure what u mean. Dnt u get it, if u trippd ova a cable or ur own rolls of fat 4 dat mattr & smashd ur already un presentable face & got even more brain damaged wuldnt u expect mre time othr dan goin 4 only 2hrs wif ur idiot readr writr tryn 2 decrypt the attemptd communication leaving ur foul odoured cave "Skrzynecki - Crossing the Red Sea"
i agree with *%$

HSC
I can understand why people don't think that its fair that people get extra writing time and stuff, but at the same time, I am one of those people. There are about seven of us in our grade who have it. Sometimes it's for back problems, for reading/eyesight problems, and sometimes it's handwriting. For me, thats what it is. I cannot write legibly. People cannot read my writing. So my teachers told me to apply, and I was offered a writer or five minutes rest. Now, my hands can actually hold a pen after 40 minutes and write without cramping and shaking. I get that it's unfair that not everyone gets provisions, but some people need them.

sumkid

Goldmember
HSC
i concur as my elder brothr lost his hands in an accident back in iraq

jebbie

HSC
sumkid said:
Um, if that happened you wouldnt be doing the HSC it would be a misadventure, and they would estimate your mark by previous assessments..

Anyways I meant it in reference to your inability to type words out correctly and properly..

jebbie

HSC
sixleadballoons said:
I can understand why people don't think that its fair that people get extra writing time and stuff, but at the same time, I am one of those people. There are about seven of us in our grade who have it. Sometimes it's for back problems, for reading/eyesight problems, and sometimes it's handwriting. For me, thats what it is. I cannot write legibly. People cannot read my writing. So my teachers told me to apply, and I was offered a writer or five minutes rest. Now, my hands can actually hold a pen after 40 minutes and write without cramping and shaking. I get that it's unfair that not everyone gets provisions, but some people need them.
Nah I fully agree some people need them. Im just against people who think its like an sms and decide 2lyk typp lyk dey r retarded.. Seriously.. Good luck with the HSC if thats how you write..

sumkid

Goldmember
HSC
jebbie said:
Um, if that happened you wouldnt be doing the HSC it would be a misadventure, and they would estimate your mark by previous assessments..

Anyways I meant it in reference to your inability to type words out correctly and properly..
(I woz refern 2 u)

OHHHHHHH well that woz stupid cos y wuld i do dat 4 writin sumtin on an website forum dats like a waste of time which u seem 2 have u sad sad person
god get ova english its finshd its sux like a $10 vietnamese hookr

Last edited:

Santah

HSC
tell you what assholes...

I'll trade my 20minutes extra time for your hearing. I'm sick of cocksuckers like the thread starter heaping shit on me, you've got no idea what its like to live with a long term disability and still have to go through school and compete with all the "normal" kids.

Today at school when people found out I got extra time I get told "thats bullshit", ill tell you whats bullshit, being born deaf is bullshit.

oh and many people that use computers to type their essays are dslxyic.

yes youve hit a nerve, especially after what happened at school today.

get a clue you morons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)