• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Failed my Ps. (1 Viewer)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I thought everyone new about the RTA stop signs and I mean even if you don't it doesn't hurt to go to your RTA early on the test day and practice exiting it, meaning then you should pick that up. Always one of the first advice given on BOS when people are going for their P's check for the stop sign when leaving RTA.

But that being said when I went for my P's I didn't actually park inside the RTA. Outside across the road at the RTA I went to they had a place where testing vechicles could park, that and my instructor told me to park there (was using his car).

Yeah it is. I guess that one comes down to nerves, you accelerating through the lights. I mean normally it's a judgement call but in the test if it's yellow and you have enough time to safely stop, you stop.

The other to go without saying.

Practice up more, get more time behind the wheel and good luck next time. :)

HSC
Triangulum said:
No there aren't. If you do anything that is listed as a 'fail' in the test guidebook, you fail the test instantly, no exceptions. If you do something incorrect that isn't a specific fail item, you lose points, and if you get below about 85% or 90% - can't remember the exact mark - you fail even if you don't have any specific fail items.
yeah sorry those mistakes that can lose you points was what i meant by "fails they will let you get away with"

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
There's a fail and instant fail. I think instant fail is shit like running someone over/hitting a car whereas a fail is running a red light/stop sign.

michael1990

HSC
AntiJap said:
Hey guys,

I failed my Ps test today with my instructors' car. I had 1 fail item with the testing officer having to intervene and 6 braking errors.

Now the fail item was at a T junction there were a few cars parked on both sides of the T junction blocking a good view of the road, so I stopped and decided to creep up bit by bit. I probably was going too fast and the officer slammed the brakes.

The 6 braking errors were for non-smooth braking.

I usually practice in a differnt older car where the brakes are less sensitive. But I was wondering if I should rebook the test really soon like next week, or should I keep practising on my Ls.

Thanks
Just rebook. RELAX and do it again!

who cares if you failed?

Roguedeth

HSC
Azamakumar said:
There's a fail and instant fail. I think instant fail is shit like running someone over/hitting a car whereas a fail is running a red light/stop sign.

those are all isntant fails

iEdd

HSC
Roguedeth said:
those are all isntant fails
No, they aren't. They are just fail items. "Immediate fail" as it is called (some call it "instant") is where you commit one of the fail items in a dangerous way, such that the rest of the test is not conducted and you must walk or be driven back to the RTA. Same occurs when you are in an accident, your fault or otherwise, or in extreme weather (you may be able to get a refund for this).

jas62

HSC
hey all only got a week to go just wondering when you stop at the lights should you leave your car in gear or take it out???

Pace_T

HSC
jas62 said:
hey all only got a week to go just wondering when you stop at the lights should you leave your car in gear or take it out???
i pass my p's test by leaving it in gear at the lights. however, these days i take it out when im idling.

CieL

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's in gear.

Didnt someone in this forum fail because he took it out of gear?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

But like Pace T, I passed it by leaving it in gear at lights.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
  • Take the car out of gear at lights, and keep your foot on the brake.
  • If it is an exceptionally long light (i.e. one you might find at a busy intersection) take the car out of gear and also apply the handbrake.
While both of those above practices are the best way to look after your car's clutch and gear-box, they are not complusary for the test. In the test you are allowed to keep your car at a halt at traffic lights in anyway you like (as long as the engine remains switched on).

michael1990

HSC
jasonml said:
While both of those above practices are the best way to look after your car's clutch and gear-box, they are not complusary for the test. In the test you are allowed to keep your car at a halt at traffic lights in anyway you like (as long as the engine remains switched on).
I HEARD so much different.

I heard you are supposed to have your car in gear at the set of lights at all time. I did that and passed with 100%.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
It's not a fail, it's like -5 points or some load of shit like that because sticking it in neutral is 'unsafe' by RTA standards.

But I really think it's so if you need to move for an emergency vehicle you can move quickly.

Jess007

HSC
yeh i think your supposed to have it in a gear while your at a stop light or stop sign...

just keep it in gear to be safe

i love neutral though.... i love just waming it in and rolling...

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Azamakumar said:
It's not a fail, it's like -5 points or some load of shit like that because sticking it in neutral is 'unsafe' by RTA standards.

But I really think it's so if you need to move for an emergency vehicle you can move quickly.
Yeah thats basically how it was explained to me. I never get why people put their car in neutral at lights, it just seems weird to me. Being able to take off and not worry about that shit is nice and easy.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Serius said:
Yeah thats basically how it was explained to me. I never get why people put their car in neutral at lights, it just seems weird to me. Being able to take off and not worry about that shit is nice and easy.
So you don't have to hold the clutch you douche.

I would've thought that was a no brainer.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
yep, for the test, at stops and lights keep it in gear (with clutch in obviously)

outside of the test do whatever you are most comfortable with.
I almost always go to neutral if I know I'll be stopping, otherwise I try keep the momentum and roll through in 2nd

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I understand the intellectual argument of it, but it seems like a lot of hassle stuffing around with gears every time you come to a stop and have to take off again, then if you have to take off suddenly you have to shuffle the car back into gear etc. I could hold the clutch in all day if i wanted to, it doesn't really take much effort. To me it was really weird the day i found some people actually put their car into neutral every time they come to a stop.

I guess its sort of like the wiping your ass debate, you either do it sitting or standing, and the thought of doing it a different way to "normal" seems absurd.[btw slightly more people wipe their ass sitting than standing but i think thats because women have a predisposition to the sit wipe that skews the figures]

jas62

HSC
hey all only few more days to go just another question if you stop at most giveways to have a better look will they see that as a good thing or bad thing???

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Depending on the vision in the lead up to/at the giveway sign I usually stop at them unless I can clearly see into the lead up that it's safe. I personally don't think it's a bad thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)