Fearing Muslim Lobby, Washington Post Pulls Cartoon. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
thoughts?

Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eugene-volokh/isnt-the-opus-car_b_61988.html

Editor and Publisher
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003631122

FOXNews
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294779,00.html

Salon.com has the full cartoon for you.
http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/08/26/opus/

From the Editor and Publisher article:

At least 25 of the 200 or so "Opus" client newspapers might not run the Sunday-only comic's next two episodes, which feature Islamic references and a sex joke.

Is there a double standard when it comes to what we can talk about or joke about?

Is Islam off-limits or should it be that anyone is fair game?

Did the papers who pulled it do the right thing?

What is scarier; people protesting peacefully and PC fallout because people don't like someone's opinion or people blowing up stuff and killing people and rioting in the streets for the same reason?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It's lame that they didn't but I guess a major newspaper doesn't really want to offend anyone.

America's Muslims are very well intergrated I think the chances of the same thing happening like what did in Europe is very low.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
someone post up that thing from belligerent and numerous. Thats basically my views on this.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A

Blasphemous Footballs

A demonstration has been held in south- east Afghanistan accusing US troops of insulting Islam after they distributed footballs bearing the name of Allah.

The balls showed the Saudi Arabian flag which features the Koranic declaration of faith.

The US military said the idea had been to give something for Afghan children to enjoy and they did not realise it would cause offence.

The footballs were dropped from a helicopter in Khost province.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6964564.stm

They never ran out of something to protest and riot :burn:

jimmayyy

HSC
its a bit of a different situation to the danish thing. that cartoon wasn't so much offensive as blasphemous in it depicted the prophet muhammed (peace and blessings be upon him)

anyway, to answer your question, i think there are some things that are untasteful to joke about, but i think its lame to put them off limits. let people joke about them and offend other people.

K

katie_tully

I'm just over religious types at the moment. Anybody else read about the Christian Lobby group going ape shit over 'Californication'.

FFS STFU :(

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Is it necessary to post up cartoons that you know will offend people in a 'popular' newspaper?

When instead they could put something that would be more beneficial to all people?

banco55

HSC
HotShot said:
Is it necessary to post up cartoons that you know will offend people in a 'popular' newspaper?

When instead they could put something that would be more beneficial to all people?
You're right let's strip the newspapers of anything that could offend anyone.

kazan

im a herooo
at home, in the study, on a chair, infront of a co
HSC
Imo, I don't even think that was that offensive, I know plenty of muslims who might even of found it funny.

People are shit, and need to STFU and realise that you need to be able to laugh at yourself, or your going to spend your whole life getting angry over nothing.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I kinda lol'd is that bad?

(I just think the whole fuss it's created is worse for muslims than having published the comic. A few people would have laughed, and almost nobody in the states would have got the joke anyway. The punch line was in the last word 'God willing', as in she believed she didn't have a choice.)

Gosford

HSC
i could see the humour in it
but i reckon some1 like my sister could be offended by that coz 1) it isnt a 'fad' or something and 2) a man's rightful place? Probably some minor undertone relying upon a flase aspect of Islam.
I'm impressed they didnt show it, but personally I would definately not been angry enought to compain (my sister probs 50/50)

wasupdog

HSC
Optophobia said:
Oh really?
australian press should be like canada. press can publish anything they want in regards to anything, except religion, even if its good or bad news.

only reason in saying this is because i was affended about those jesus comparison to bin ladin images, those images are an insult and any1 who thought they were funny is fucking plane stupid, and yes im muslim.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
wasupdog said:
australian press should be like canada. press can publish anything they want in regards to anything, except religion, even if its good or bad news.

only reason in saying this is because i was affended about those jesus comparison to bin ladin images, those images are an insult and any1 who thought they were funny is fucking plane stupid, and yes im muslim.
thanks, glad you're the humour police. please tell us what to find funny and what not to find funny

Gosford

HSC
wasupdog said:

yes
Jesus (pbuh) was a prophet of allah
and for any1 to try and compare a person nowadays to similar atus as a prophet, they are not only deluded but highly offensive!

banco55

HSC
Gosford said:
yes
Jesus (pbuh) was a prophet of allah
and for any1 to try and compare a person nowadays to similar atus as a prophet, they are not only deluded but highly offensive!
But still within the bounds of free speech no matter how offensive people find it.

Gosford

HSC
i have prolems with the 'free speech' but thats beside the point i was agreeing with wasupdog. People thinkin muslims tryin to compare some1 like ossama to a prophet of god (pbuh).

banco55

HSC
Gosford said:
i have prolems with the 'free speech' but thats beside the point i was agreeing with wasupdog. People thinkin muslims tryin to compare some1 like ossama to a prophet of god (pbuh).
If you're a muslim it's hardly surprising you have a problem with free spech.

Gosford

HSC
wat r u guys sayin?
you dont have problems with free speech?
right nowtell me you did not mind when hilaly 'compared woman to uncovered pieces of meat'
i think that was wrong (I dont believe that)
but theoretically thats free speech?
u's were ok with that?
i think there is free speech then there is a time to keep your mouth shut and not to say offensive things
such as deragaotory comments against another sex, religion, race etc.
UNAUSTRALIAN?
I dont think so
i dont think many australians like the freedom of speech when it is used in an offensive manner
they only support it with an agenda (i wonder how many were pleased by hilaly's comments?)
so think b4 you write guys
dont have a go at me
if u dont agree ask wat i meant (i was vague)
lastly
freedom of speech
eg. you say "i dont believe in god"
you r entitled to speak your mind
but i would have to clearly say that there is a point where you have to draw a line!
(I dont have problems with it in general, schroedinger, ok?)
And banco55
why would i have a problem with free speech just coz im muslim?
thats a stereotype there by you mate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)