• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fountain Pens! (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Doing running writing (many say they've already tried it before and it doen't work but have they reallydone it 'correctly'? whatever that might mean) and ensuring having 'correct' letter formation and even more importantly, a 'correct' grip. If u have a wrong grip, you will feel pain writing and give up. Without seeing it demonstated we may be arguing about different things. As I've said elsewhere before I'm not a 'qualified handwriting expert'. Only thing I know is old foggies like me have seen it done effortlessly before and now see much more than 50% of students holding their pens wrong. It is something that struck me. That's why I'm participating in this exchange in the hope some of those on Bored may benefit from it. It is possible I'm wrong. But have they tried it? Do they know what I'm on about without seeing it demonstrated.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Doing running writing (many say they've already tried it before and it doen't work but have they reallydone it 'correctly'? whatever that might mean) and ensuring having 'correct' letter formation and even more importantly, a 'correct' grip. If u have a wrong grip, you will feel pain writing and give up. Without seeing it done we may be arguing about different things. As I've said elsewhere before I'm not a 'qualified handwriting expert'. Only thing I know is old foggies like me have seen it done effortlessly before and now see much more than 50% of students holding their pens wrong. It is something that struck me. That's why I'm participating in this exchange in the hope some of those on Bored may benifit from it. It is possible I'm wrong. But have they tried it? Do they know what I'm on about without seeing it demonstrated.
Then you should probably be ranting at the teachers that instruct students in correct pen usage, right? And what is "correct" letter formation - "Foundation" as according to NSW DoE?

I think that is incorrect. I do not think there is one correct writing style for everyone, one correct style of letter formation.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
When I saw 'Foundation' I was shocked. It's an ugly angular style. It is shit. I don't know which expert or panel of experts came up with this idea. As for the teachers, most younger generation teachers do not know how to write and are therefore unable to teach it. Case of the blind leading the blind. It is a simple fact that the majority of kids nowadays write badly. They are excellent in many other things.

Must you use the term 'rant' when I'm well-meaningly trying to be helpful.

91MAM09

HSC
How are you supposed to get the air bubbles out??
I have cleaned it several times before under running water etc but it always seems to go back to the old problem...
If I can'r fix it which brand/type do you suggest i get?? (and what would the price be??)
I just reakon that they're pretty cool in general! Haha Very few use them ;)
I have bought those cheapo ones before (like the $2 someone mentioned beore) but i find that since they're not heavy your hand gets more tired... The weight of the pen makes a difference.
I was actually thinking that maybe the point could be damaged, since i lent it to someone once and they pressed quite hard like a normal pen... =(... you think that might have stuffed it up??

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, it does look a bit like a rant when you decry other people's writing styles as "wrong" (such as my running-write/print hybrid) when they genuinely may not be. People's writing styles evolve with time and maturity, to best fit their speed and neatness.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
back it China it was complury to use fountain pens in pmy school since yr 2....
so ive used that for all my works for 2 yrs.

and what i wana tell u is... it sucks!
and it would suck even more here cuz it's more expensive... i went to the art shop and saw inks in small bottle for 8 bucks.... whatta big rape!

the inks go thru pages easily! it even breaks the pages sometimes..... any most importantly... the ink fkn leaks like creazy if u don't know the proper was of using it ( which happens to most noobs in the 1st yr. )

e.g. the ink leaks when u didnt screw the lid back on enough. but most gay'ly it leaks when u over-fills it, it's like when the pen touches the paper the inks start poring lika river. and any leaking will make an instant big blue dot fucking THIS BIG... on ur cloth, on the paper, on ur hands....

if u wana find out more, feel free to ask me. and i still have a fountain pen in my house, no inks tho:mad1:

there is a reason y no1 use em anymore.
Hey Kwayera, will that happen with a $50 Lamy?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Anyone have any of those $1.95 smiggle mini fountain pens???? I got 3, theyre pretty good, use them sometimes, and it looks mad and colourful lol :)
But I prefer my pilot varsity - only about $8 and its really good - no bleeding through pages and its lasted for more than a year now :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Well, it does look a bit like a rant when you decry other people's writing styles as "wrong" (such as my running-write/print hybrid) when they genuinely may not be. People's writing styles evolve with time and maturity, to best fit their speed and neatness.

Each of us is trying to be helpful here.

When I used 'correct' with the quotation marks, it was meant to imply that this is a subjective matter. So I'm not unaware that what's right for one is wrong for another. That's why for many of the other subjective terms I have used the quotes. I'm aware that different styles suit different people.

My interest in this subject arise out of my concern for the bad handwriting that is so prevalent nowadays. Some may beg to differ. Many people couldn't care less if they write badly. That is their prerogative.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
How are you supposed to get the air bubbles out??
I have cleaned it several times before under running water etc but it always seems to go back to the old problem...
If I can'r fix it which brand/type do you suggest i get?? (and what would the price be??)
I just reakon that they're pretty cool in general! Haha Very few use them ;)
I have bought those cheapo ones before (like the $2 someone mentioned beore) but i find that since they're not heavy your hand gets more tired... The weight of the pen makes a difference.
I was actually thinking that maybe the point could be damaged, since i lent it to someone once and they pressed quite hard like a normal pen... =(... you think that might have stuffed it up??
Oh yes, that'd do it. The nib needs to be replaced (~$20).

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i used a fountain pen a coupla times. and it just wasn't working for me. i didnt have the energy to really learn how to use it properly and refill it etc. so instead i use felt tips which i feel provide the same function in that they are easy to write with - very little pressure needed - dont leak through pages, and have the added bonus of drying almost instantly.

i recommended a 0.1 or 0.4 artline felt tip.

Gloves

HSC
jesus christ, how in god's name do threads about PENS get so much attention? it's beyond me.

seriously, there's also been a few.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The problem with felt-tips, though, is that the material has a certain resistance to the page - I find the friction irritating.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
The problem with felt-tips, though, is that the material has a certain resistance to the page - I find the friction irritating.
not really. it only has friction if you're using the wrong size tip. so i usually have a 0.1 and a 0.4 in my bag.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
There is a friction purely because of the type of pen. Anything that isn't ground metal will have a significant amount of friction, to me.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I mainly use an Artline 200 0.4mm for essays, its really good - bought a box of 12 at the beginning of this year very cheap...
havnt tried 0.1mm... isnt that a bit too fine, like wont it be really fragile????

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
i used a fountain pen for 4 years overseas (years 5-9)....and it was the best ! (running writing)....but I then switched to ball point for some reason..

OMG

WHY DONT I GO BACK TO FOUNTAIN????

BRILLIANT

THANKS!

kara42

HSC
I found my old fountain pen when clearing out my stuff yesterday and I was like "HEAPS SICK AYE"

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
There is a friction purely because of the type of pen. Anything that isn't ground metal will have a significant amount of friction, to me.
I agree, felt tips have a lot of friction. They also bleed through the page if you want to cross something out, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)