Fountain Pens! (2 Viewers)

rachel2219

HSC
I'm sorry, Pens?

Really?

A whole thread.

On ...pens....

Why don't you just practise speed hand writing and get better at it rather then spending 60 + on a fountain pen?

Tape a battery onto the top of your pen and in time your hand writing will become faster.

But seriously. A whole thread on pens.
You should have just googled it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If you don't like it, don't post here.

Alternatively, discover that some people do indeed think that $60-100 is a good investment for a pen that suits your writing style, is easier to write with, and will last decades or more.

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
60 bux for what?? the pen bill clinton uses????

cuz the fountain pen i have = 7 bux=good quality= will last for a really long time..

kara42

HSC
I'm sorry, Pens?

Really?

A whole thread.

On ...pens....

Why don't you just practise speed hand writing and get better at it rather then spending 60 + on a fountain pen?

Tape a battery onto the top of your pen and in time your hand writing will become faster.

But seriously. A whole thread on pens.
You should have just googled it.
???

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Officeworks. FYI, in comparison to a real fountain pen, the "$7" ones are abundantly crap, and you can't refill them.

My pen, a Lamy ($70), is at the low end of quality fountain pens; I've been writing with it continuously for about 7 years now, going through four ink wells (each about $16). Higher quality pens, with higher quality nibs and ink flow technology, can go for anywhere from $300-$15,000 (~$1000 on average for a decent Mont Blanc fountain pen).

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
60 bux for what?? the pen bill clinton uses????

cuz the fountain pen i have = 7 bux=good quality= will last for a really long time..
lol @ Bill Clinton

I might get a $7 one lol, I'd rather buy books then pens :haha:. I've got a stack of books I need to buy too

ForbiddenND

HSC
hey do these pens have problems with ink flow cause all the ball point pens i use always start blotching up as in when i write suddenly a lot of ink comes out freaking annoying the only way i can stop it is by cleaning it on a scrap piece of paper every fking 2 mins

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well-maintained, high quality fountain pens that are used often (i.e. so the ink does not dry up) very rarely have problems with ink flow.

rachel2219

HSC
If you don't like it, don't post here.

Alternatively, discover that some people do indeed think that $60-100 is a good investment for a pen that suits your writing style, is easier to write with, and will last decades or more.
Alternatively, you could discover that maybe there is more to life then spending your earnings on an expensive pen that cost the company about 50 cents to produce but claim it's of quality and well worth your money spent.

But hey, I can't wait to here all about how "Insert company name" make quality pens, that they spend a long time on, crafting them, to get them perfect for your individual needs.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Alternatively, you could discover that maybe there is more to life then spending your earnings on an expensive pen that cost the company about 50 cents to produce but claim it's of quality and well worth your money spent.

But hey, I can't wait to here all about how "Insert company name" make quality pens, that they spend a long time on, crafting them, to get them perfect for your individual needs.
$70 isn't much for a pen that will last decades, as opposed to a $2 pen that only lasts a few weeks (days?) under heavy use.

harryc

HSC

Agreed. And the fact that the need is felt to discuss wanky, expensive brand-name pen's just comes off as way to pretentious. So what, you spent craploads on a pen? It's not like the HSC marker is gonna look down and go, "Hey! This person gets better marks! I can just tell they've spent lots on this pen".

Sorry, but the way the economy is at the moment, there are SO many better things your money can be spent on then pens.

rachel2219

HSC
$70 isn't much for a pen that will last decades, as opposed to a $2 pen that only lasts a few weeks (days?) under heavy use.
I'm sorry but how are you planning to make your pen last decades under heavy use? Correct if i'm wrong but i'm almost certain that all pens have AROUND the same amout of ink? Are you planning on replacing the ink in your pen? Adding to the cost.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
harryc said:
Agreed. And the fact that the need is felt to discuss wanky, expensive brand-name pen's just comes off as way to pretentious. So what, you spent craploads on a pen? It's not like the HSC marker is gonna look down and go, "Hey! This person gets better marks! I can just tell they've spent lots on this pen".

Sorry, but the way the economy is at the moment, there are SO many better things your money can be spent on then pens.
Lol, wtf? It's not about what the marker thinks. It's about how you feel writing and what makes writing easiest and speediest. For me and many other people, that's a fountain pen. Kudos to you if you can hack cheap and cheerful biros, but, again, I don't think that $70 is much in the face of the actual incremental costs of said cheap and cheerful pens, and the treatment for the RSI they gave me in particular.

:rolleyes:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm sorry but how are you planning to make your pen last decades under heavy use? Correct if i'm wrong but i'm almost certain that all pens have AROUND the same amout of ink? Are you planning on replacing the ink in your pen? Adding to the cost.
Ink wells cost about $16 for good quality ink, and they last on average 1.5-2 years (that's with everyday use). You still come out cheaper, in the long run.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i love using fountain pens, i use them at home all the time when i do my work, don't want to take them to school cause i actually hate the ink cartriage and i use ink wells so its a pain to transport around. But you can see a greater improvement in my handwriting when i am using a fountain pen. And there is less strain on my hands so they are beneficial so use them if you want but get decent type, i got a good one on special at a scrapping booking store the other day for $30 (down from $70, cause they are closing down) so you can find them fairly cheaply but the better the quality the better the writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)