Fountain Pens! (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
PLEASE I IMPLORE YOU PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ANY FURTHER ARGUMENTS ABOUT PENS.
NO! My pen is better than your pen.

Anyhow, I'll attempt to get this thread back on track.
I have really messy/medium-speed handwriting mostly due to habit and partly due to my cheapo choice of bic pens. I should probably get some exercises in to make it better first before I invest in something like a fountain pen, though they seem value for money if kept for a long period of time.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol in my opinion Kwayera wins, end of discussion...

Case Closed! lol

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
NO! My pen is better than your pen.

Anyhow, I'll attempt to get this thread back on track.
I have really messy/medium-speed handwriting mostly due to habit and partly due to my cheapo choice of bic pens. I should probably get some exercises in to make it better first before I invest in something like a fountain pen, though they seem value for money if kept for a long period of time.
I changed to a fountain pen for exactly that reason: my script was so poor when using a ballpoint that it was essentially chickenscratch (and even to this day, even the odd use of ballpoints is rendered in illegible script), largely due to how I was taught to hold the pen and to write.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
I changed to a fountain pen for exactly that reason: my script was so poor when using a ballpoint that it was essentially chickenscratch (and even to this day, even the odd use of ballpoints is rendered in illegible script), largely due to how I was taught to hold the pen and to write.
that was my promblem to then one of my teachers actually suggested the use of a fountain pen and i have found when i do use my one at home my handwriting is a lot more legible.

I've also found that using a pen with a larger girth my handwriting improves (at school i'll use one of those 4 color pens cause they are thicker than a normal biro) try that as well, and see what happens.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Maybe I should just check out one of the cheapo fountains from officeworks and see how much it helps? I mean, it's pretty risky to purchase a $70 pen without knowing if it's going to help or not. It'll leave me in a better position on whether or not to get a fountain or get the lightscribe or maybe get both.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm reading this makes me consider a fountain pen. Is it possible that my handwriting could improve? Because currently it's really bad, extremly hard to read (even for me sometimes)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
that was my promblem to then one of my teachers actually suggested the use of a fountain pen and i have found when i do use my one at home my handwriting is a lot more legible.

I've also found that using a pen with a larger girth my handwriting improves (at school i'll use one of those 4 color pens cause they are thicker than a normal biro) try that as well, and see what happens.
I actually did use those, and as you said experienced a marginal improvement in legibility (still not as much as with a fountain pen), but I still gripped the pen very forcefully and applied a lot of pressure to the paper; in combination with use of normal ballpoints, this combined to give me RSI in my right hand, specifically in the muscle supporting my thumb.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Maybe I should just check out one of the cheapo fountains from officeworks and see how much it helps? I mean, it's pretty risky to purchase a $70 pen without knowing if it's going to help or not. It'll leave me in a better position on whether or not to get a fountain or get the lightscribe or maybe get both.
Those fountains are really poor quality in terms of how they write in comparison to a proper pen, but they're good if you want to get used to the feel of one. In use, they're much like using one of those rollerballs, except.. not. :p

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
Same

Gloves

HSC
i've got amazing hand writing.

like truly amazing.

Gloves

HSC
here is my amazing hand writing.

sorry it's a bit unclear.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Oh and you must have running writing to use fountain pens right?
Not at all, though it does help with speed. Some people running write, some people print, some people even use block letters (i.e. both my parents). I use a weird hybrid of running writing and print.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Do they bleed through the page? Because if they don't, the only thing stopping em from buying them is the fact my current pens rub out. but they run out quite quickly. Which fountain pens do not.

bettina44

HSC
i use fountain pens for all my exams cause i can write fast with them and they flow smoothly. they tend to bleed with the crappy quality paper they use but its the last thing thing i would worry about in exams! and they run out very quickly, for my half yearlies i refilled my pen 3 times but maybe cause i have big writing so it might not be the case for everyone.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Do they bleed through the page? Because if they don't, the only thing stopping em from buying them is the fact my current pens rub out. but they run out quite quickly. Which fountain pens do not.
It depends on the paper and the ink. I generally don't have any bleed problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)