Freaking out about maths. (1 Viewer)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
it doesn't matter what method you use unless they ask for a specific method such as simpsons rule or trapezoidal rule.

i use 4unit methods of integration in 3unit when i get lazy hahaha

a. when do u need that, 3 unit integration is just substitution and

b. that would make make it harder if anything

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I'm freaking out about maths too... did poorly for my last MX1 and MX2 assessments (worth 20%, which means that 60% of my internals is complete). trials worth 40% it's do well or die for me.
I did poorly too, and coincidentally, it was weighted exactly the same as your assessment. Trials are also worth 40% - basically do well or my future is at stake (since I do other crappy scaling subjects, maths is saviour)
I'm going to be totally stressed out about the trials because it would be my last chance to save my ranking..... b e f o r e i t i s t o o l a t e

gl to u too. you're not alone :p

kcqn93

HSC
a. when do u need that, 3 unit integration is just substitution and

b. that would make make it harder if anything
integration/differentiation of both sides / implicit dif. when i do calculus in the physical world, it saves me a few lines :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
implicit differentiation helps a lot for many of the functions you encounter in applications of calculus to the physical world
esp ones with ugly square roots

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
it doesn't matter what method you use unless they ask for a specific method
Well that doesn't mean that you can use L'Hopital's rules for fundemental limit type questions...

i use 4unit methods of integration in 3unit when i get lazy hahaha
In the HSC they'll make the papers so that 3U candidates are not advantaged because they know, for instance, integration by parts.

Similiarly for 4U and 3U.

beardedwoman

HSC
I did poorly too, and coincidentally, it was weighted exactly the same as your assessment. Trials are also worth 40% - basically do well or my future is at stake (since I do other crappy scaling subjects, maths is saviour)
I'm going to be totally stressed out about the trials because it would be my last chance to save my ranking..... b e f o r e i t i s t o o l a t e

gl to u too. you're not alone :p
yeah, I'm hoping the first 40% and the trials will at least make up for my atrocious results.

good luck to you too! we'll both need it I think.

also what subs do you do anyway?

NewiJapper

HSC
well seeing as q1 a) was intergrate sinx-cosx within the boundaries pi/3 and 0. It wasnt an easy test.
Mind you that question isnt hard, just not for q1 :p

duckcowhybrid

HSC
well seeing as q1 a) was intergrate sinx-cosx within the boundaries pi/3 and 0. It wasnt an easy test.
Mind you that question isnt hard, just not for q1 :p
lol why should you care what question the problem is located in? It should have no bearing on the rest of the exam. I don't even think about it, I just do the paper.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
lol why should you care what question the problem is located in? It should have no bearing on the rest of the exam. I don't even think about it, I just do the paper.

it gets you focused and more confident, trust me, if you can look at a question ( obviously with question number not next to it :p) and go " i know thats a Q " " question, you know you are doing well. It means you are getting used to the difficulty and format of the question, every single question i have answered on this site i have had a fairly good idea as too where it would "fit" into an exam. It also means you are more alter to kinds of tricks they throw at you. Good technique. if you can predict exam questions ( even think up potentially tough ones as you go through revising the topics, with tricks, in your head, you are doing well, i used to do that, good technique)

i would think integrate sinx - cosx with limits would come in Q3 ( the usual integration/differentation question), probably 2 marks ( if it was a semi hard exam) , 3 marks if it was an easy paper.

the stuff in Q1 is more like rounding, making sure you know sig figures (e.g. something like rounding 0.00604 to two significant figures, this would lose marks for ALOT of people i gaurantee you, a seemingly easy question littered with tricks) , was strange last yrs 4 unit paper had a question on sig figures, like first time ever i think) , solving simple inequalities ( with a negative tossed in here or there) and graphing on number line ,solving fairly simple linear equations, rationalising denominators/surds and such.

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
Do you know of any 2 unit books that are good for exercises that have exam style questions and so forth? Or are just past papers good for that? :p

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Do you know of any 2 unit books that are good for exercises that have exam style questions and so forth? Or are just past papers good for that? :p

papers, resource section, not much else i can say, whatever you dont ignore the first questions ( 1-6 for 2 unit, 1-2 for 3 unit) in a practice exam ( just because they seem easy), you would be surprised to see how many people lose those marks, and they are easy marks, if you leave them out you in your revision you WILL make mistakes. Attempt a paper from start to finish, dont skip questions because you think they are easy, because they are not

Last edited:

NewiJapper

HSC
That happened with someone in our exam. They spent an hour and a half making sure they did q8,9,10 propely and ended up missing q6, 7

random-1006

Banned
HSC
That happened with someone in our exam. They spent an hour and a half making sure they did q8,9,10 propely and ended up missing q6, 7

lol, i dont mean to make you my guinea pig, but what would your answer be to rounding 0.00604 to two sig figures?, trying to make a point here, not to embarass you lol, and trust me, i reckon like 3/4 (atleast!!) of people doing 2 unit maths would get it wrong

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)