Gah! (1 Viewer)

B

bekmay

For main round offer i got offered my second preference, B. International Studies at UOW. Tonight, i was offered my third preference, B. International Studies at Macquarie.
I should be over the moon, but can't shake my disappointment over the fact I missed out on B. International Studies at UNSW by one lousy UAI point! GAH.
Anybody for offering advice? Any of you peeps go to either UOW or MAC and what are their pros and cons?

witide

HSC
I've never been to either of the unis and know nothing about either course, but I would still go to Macquarie.

cxlxoxk

HSC
For main round offer i got offered my second preference, B. International Studies at UOW. Tonight, i was offered my third preference, B. International Studies at Macquarie.
I should be over the moon, but can't shake my disappointment over the fact I missed out on B. International Studies at UNSW by one lousy UAI point! GAH.
Anybody for offering advice? Any of you peeps go to either UOW or MAC and what are their pros and cons?
Why was Macq 3rd and UoW 2nd?

Both are good, i'm guessing one of those is closer to you than the other (go with that one), if they are both equal distance then that's tough.

B

bekmay

Why was Macq 3rd and UoW 2nd?

Both are good, i'm guessing one of those is closer to you than the other (go with that one), if they are both equal distance then that's tough.

UOW appealed to me more than MAQ at the time of finalising preferences. Now I'm not so sure.
N yeah they're both similar distances from home. I live in Camden so Wollongong is about 50mins, North Ryde about an hour away, but much worse in traffic.

cxlxoxk

HSC
UOW appealed to me more than MAQ at the time of finalising preferences. Now I'm not so sure.
N yeah they're both similar distances from home. I live in Camden so Wollongong is about 50mins, North Ryde about an hour away, but much worse in traffic.
you are in an awkward location/position then!

piitb

HSC
i looooooooooooove you bekmay!!!!!!!!!!

lionking1191

HSC
lol i dont see why uow's higher than mac. distance wise they are around the same

regardless of which uni's "better" MQ gives u 5k grant to go overseas - that ought to count for something :haha:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you were so keen on getting to UNSW, then the distance of UOW or MQ shouldn't really phase you.

As for advice:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...man-sciences/196289/int-studies-unsw-maq.html

(Which you've already posted in...so yeah lol)

SpoonSamba

HSC
UOW is a friggin beautiful uni and it has relaly great facilities, and i was looking at doing international studies before and was probs gonna go to UOW just cos of the subjects and things

i dnt think the mac one sounds very good

everyone i know whos gone to UOW absolutely loved it, and the degree sounds more flexible and stuff then at mac

lou071

HSC
N/A
after one year, you can transfer!:) so for now, go to the uni where you want to send first year/

HSC
I wouldn't choose your uni depending on what is closer or more convenient. Look at the course structure, the subjects offered, the flexibility, the options for extracurricular experiences etc. Things like clubs and societies, union services, internship/study abroad offers etc can really make uni a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience, so I would take all those things into account rather than how long it will take you to get there if you really can't decide. There is no point in travelling 10 mins less to a uni you don't enjoy being at.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UOW is a friggin beautiful uni and it has relaly great facilities, and i was looking at doing international studies before and was probs gonna go to UOW just cos of the subjects and things

i dnt think the mac one sounds very good

everyone i know whos gone to UOW absolutely loved it, and the degree sounds more flexible and stuff then at mac
MQ is a friggin beautiful uni and it has relaly great facilities, and i was looking at doing international studies before and was probs gonna go to MQ just cos of the subjects and things

i dnt think the UOW one sounds very good

everyone i know whos gone to MQ absolutely loved it, and the degree sounds more flexible and stuff then at UOW

I wouldn't choose your uni depending on what is closer or more convenient. Look at the course structure, the subjects offered, the flexibility, the options for extracurricular experiences etc. Things like clubs and societies, union services, internship/study abroad offers etc can really make uni a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience, so I would take all those things into account rather than how long it will take you to get there if you really can't decide. There is no point in travelling 10 mins less to a uni you don't enjoy being at.
Access to clubs, societies and on-campus activities requires you to spend time there, if you can't easily get there, it makes that time limited and thus makes access to these activities much harder. Now can you see how convenience can contribute to this?

Also, I think most people will look at course structures etc

Last edited:

orbert

HSC
Like you say, UOW is much less difficult traffic wise, but therein lies a con because youd have to drive everyday to Uni.

I havent been to MQ but know Wollongong is awesome. Im only not going there because they dont have my course. The lifestyle is good because its a 5 min drive from the beach between Lectures.

The students are much more laid back in the gong and at its been voted best uni 3 times in the past 5 years (as polled by graduates). It has awesome Student-Admin relations. I know most graduates have job offers in their final year.

Hope this assists your decision

jaimebien

HSC
Really? Which poll? It seems a bit weird because how many universities does one typically go to? Two, three maybe in one lifetime. How would they have been to enough universities to know which is the best?

eelsrule1990

HSC
What was ure UAI if u dont mind me asking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)