Gain Weight and Muscle (1 Viewer)

throwaway

Banned
in the hsc exam hall doing a massive dump on my MX
HSC
+38

eg i bench 40kg because thats all i got at home, and i havnt grown/gained anything at all.

make sure you regularly increase your weight, because benching the same amount will not do you any good (in terms of growth). Once you grow enough to be able to withstand 40kg, you wont grow any more, you'd need to up the weights to add more resistance to your muscles.

edit: btw there isnt really a set time when you should increase the weight, its not like every week or every month u HAVE to increase by 5 or 10kg. This would depend on how often you work out and how your diet is, if you work out a lot and have an awesome diet, then you'd have good muscular growth and could step up every few weeks, if bad diet and 1ce a week weights, then you'd probably up the weights every few months.
But its a good idea to see how much you can do every now and then. That's what i did when i regularly went to the gym a couple of years ago. I'd go and see what's the heaviest i could lift, then i'd decided that i should actually step up my regular bench/curl/fly/whatever, thus: PROGRESS =]

edit edit: and yeah, focus on compound stuff, deadlift, bench, squat, upright rows.
why would anyone listen to you you tard

you just said that you only bench 40kg because thats all you have and you haven't moved up in weight ever

pathetic.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i didnt say what IM doing is correct, i need to buy more weights to actually gain something.

im saying what NOT to do.

edit: you penk

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
To gain weight in the form of muscle you will need to eat more calories than you
burn off each day. If you choose to do cardio, low-intensity cardio is the way to
go. This will keep the fat off and to maintain general fitness whilst minimizing the effect on gains.

As someone earlier mentioned, do cardio after weights. That's what i do but i take it easy on the cardio. Since your aim is to build muscle and gain weight then you should keep cardio to no more than 3 times a week. Make sure to consume plenty of calories to make up for the cardio.

As for working and rests. Definitely take day/s off to recover because you don't
grow in the gym! You grow while you are in deep sleep, which is the time when your body will produce growth anabolic hormones for muscle growth.

Before you workout eat carbs and protein. Because when you workout you will be tearing muscle fibers and depleting your muscles of it's glycogen supplies. To
refuel after working out you should consume SIMPLE carbs and some protein. Also a protein shake comes in really hand after your workout.

IF you don't have access to a gym or weights. Then there really isn't much you are going to gain out of body-weight exercises (as others have mentioned) as your muscles will 'adapt' to your body-weight. Though you could add a load of textbooks in a backpack and perform pushups with them lol.

You should eat every 3 hours-4 hours. Go for 5 meals a day.
Make sure there is some kind of protein in each meal. Tuna is a cheap source of
protein and eggs are too.
NOTE:make sure to eat the yolk because it has vitamins which are always good for you, some eat the egg white only because it has no fat content in it which i think is silly because you are missing out on vitamins/minerals.
If you haven't tried kangaroo meat, try it. It is a very very good source of protein as others have mentioned.

************************************************************************************

To the people who have access to a gym:
You guys probably already know the stuff i'm about to write about here but i'm going to include this in my post for others who might pick up something new.

There is the full-body workout routine and there is the split-routine.The split
routine is a weekly routine where you work out your different muscle groups over different days of the week. The advantages to the split routine is that you won't be spending an average of 2 hours in the gym; also you will be able to maximise your gains more efficiently if you allow a specific muscle or muscle groups to rest.

There are two popular ways of training utilising the split routine: push/pull split
routine OR the upper/lower body split routine.

Day 1: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Pull (back, biceps,forearms)
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Push [legs] (glutes, hams, quads)
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Ab workouts can be done on days 1,3,5 :)
The above workout routine would be suitable for beginners.

For the hard-gainers the routine can be intensified with the below routine.

Day 1: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders, legs)
Day 2: Pull (back, biceps, forearms)
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders, legs)
Day 5: Pull (back, biceps, forearms)

This allows for just enough time for your muscle groups to recover while training
them twice a week.

Compound exercises are an excellent way to build muscle mass these include: bench presses, dead-lifts, squats. Though it can be extended to other exercises such as: standing (more difficult than the seated military press) military presses, pull-ups (if you can't perform a pull up, use weight-assistance OR alternatively use the lat pull-downs cable machine), bent-over rows, dips etc

Anymore questions please post. I apologise in advance if there is anything i haven't made clear.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
haha, that happens, it's called DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness (i think).

imo that means you did a good amount of working out :D

also, if i dont get doms the next day, then that'd kinda mean i should increase the weights. That's what i do at least.

dux&src

HSC
How is everyone going with their muscle gains?

VicTrix

HSC
Im skinny, and need help gaining weight (in terms of muscle, that is) I'm about 179/180cm tall, and weigh about 59-60kg (my weight is also dependent of what I've eaten during the day)
Can normal push ups, chin ups, help me gain more? I usually do some every now and then.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
How is everyone going with their muscle gains?
Just started :eek:

Been working out pretty much every day this week, so took a break yesterday and today.

Probably nullified all my progress by drinking so much last night, haha :p

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Im skinny, and need help gaining weight (in terms of muscle, that is) I'm about 179/180cm tall, and weigh about 59-60kg (my weight is also dependent of what I've eaten during the day)
Can normal push ups, chin ups, help me gain more? I usually do some every now and then.
i highly doubt it, you'd need to hit the weights big time AND eat lots more food (especially food that contains protein) to gain weight.

dux&src

HSC
Did you even read the thread or my post which is on the same page as your post?

Push-ups and Chin-ups aren't enough.

dux&src

HSC
BRILLIANT, i gained 15kg of muscle in the past day since i last posted in this thread.
Wow, do you mean 0.15kg? :lol: cause to gain 15kg of lean muscle would take a year!
loll i know you are kidding :) :wave:

Just started :eek:

Been working out pretty much every day this week, so took a break yesterday and today.

Probably nullified all my progress by drinking so much last night, haha :p
That's good! I hit the gym five days a week.
My break is today and the next two days :).

haha that's okay once in a while, you gotta let loose. Just not too often.

friction

HSC
I think u guys are forgetting these guys are beginners and if they can only lift what they say that they can lift pushups will help as well as chinups and just body wieght squats for now. They can also add the 5 kg via a backpack and may last a few weeks with good results. Slow and controlled is definitly the way to go and really focus on your form. You see it way to often in gyms the people that think they know everything about wieghtlifting and they are lifting really heavy wieghts but with poor form. It is not half as good as lifting lighter wieghts with perfect form.

If u really are serious get yourself a gym membership it will be one of the best things u can do. Also get yourself in to see a personal trainer atleast once so that they can attempt to show u good form (i am mates with a few pts that honestly dont know alot). If ur picking a personal trainer pick the big strong fit one. Oh and btw you will soon find that if you are using good form you wont need that heavy wieghts (although 5kg is really not enough). But for the first month or so it might be ok.

Cardio is no problem with putting on wieght unless again you are a bodybuilder it is only bad when it is way to excessive and/or you dont eat enough someone with a high metabolism like you should just eat heaps but eat clean.

Oh and BTW for the others you will lose DOMS after a few months of training. If you are trying hard and full time. I was training in 4 day cycles 3 on 1 off and i lost it after about 3 weeks and nothing i could do could get it back until i had the last few weeks off over chrissy and now i went to the gym and im really feeling it.

Edit: You wont gain muscle unless you employ some sort of overload technique if ur muscle adapts you have to increase in some way.

Last edited:

dux&src

HSC
Yes.
Do you do implement the occasional drop-sets to 'shock' your muscles?

micuzzo

HSC
To gain weight in the form of muscle you will need to eat more calories than you
burn off each day. If you choose to do cardio, low-intensity cardio is the way to
go. This will keep the fat off and to maintain general fitness whilst minimizing the effect on gains.

As someone earlier mentioned, do cardio after weights. That's what i do but i take it easy on the cardio. Since your aim is to build muscle and gain weight then you should keep cardio to no more than 3 times a week. Make sure to consume plenty of calories to make up for the cardio.

As for working and rests. Definitely take day/s off to recover because you don't
grow in the gym! You grow while you are in deep sleep, which is the time when your body will produce growth anabolic hormones for muscle growth.

Before you workout eat carbs and protein. Because when you workout you will be tearing muscle fibers and depleting your muscles of it's glycogen supplies. To
refuel after working out you should consume SIMPLE carbs and some protein. Also a protein shake comes in really hand after your workout.

IF you don't have access to a gym or weights. Then there really isn't much you are going to gain out of body-weight exercises (as others have mentioned) as your muscles will 'adapt' to your body-weight. Though you could add a load of textbooks in a backpack and perform pushups with them lol.

You should eat every 3 hours-4 hours. Go for 5 meals a day.
Make sure there is some kind of protein in each meal. Tuna is a cheap source of
protein and eggs are too.
NOTE:make sure to eat the yolk because it has vitamins which are always good for you, some eat the egg white only because it has no fat content in it which i think is silly because you are missing out on vitamins/minerals.
If you haven't tried kangaroo meat, try it. It is a very very good source of protein as others have mentioned.

************************************************************************************

To the people who have access to a gym:
You guys probably already know the stuff i'm about to write about here but i'm going to include this in my post for others who might pick up something new.

There is the full-body workout routine and there is the split-routine.The split
routine is a weekly routine where you work out your different muscle groups over different days of the week. The advantages to the split routine is that you won't be spending an average of 2 hours in the gym; also you will be able to maximise your gains more efficiently if you allow a specific muscle or muscle groups to rest.

There are two popular ways of training utilising the split routine: push/pull split
routine OR the upper/lower body split routine.

Day 1: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders)
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Pull (back, biceps,forearms)
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Push [legs] (glutes, hams, quads)

Ab workouts can be done on days 1,3,5 :)
The above workout routine would be suitable for beginners.

For the hard-gainers the routine can be intensified with the below routine.

Day 1: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders, legs)
Day 2: Pull (back, biceps, forearms)
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Push (chest, triceps, shoulders, legs)
Day 5: Pull (back, biceps, forearms)

This allows for just enough time for your muscle groups to recover while training
them twice a week.

Compound exercises are an excellent way to build muscle mass these include: bench presses, dead-lifts, squats. Though it can be extended to other exercises such as: standing (more difficult than the seated military press) military presses, pull-ups (if you can't perform a pull up, use weight-assistance OR alternatively use the lat pull-downs cable machine), bent-over rows, dips etc

Anymore questions please post. I apologise in advance if there is anything i haven't made clear.

I dont think complete beginners should perform split routines, imo its best to begin with full body and ensure u have the correct technique...once achieved splits can be done... technique is VERY important!!!

dux&src

HSC
I dont think complete beginners should perform split routines, imo its best to begin with full body and ensure u have the correct technique...once achieved splits can be done... technique is VERY important!!!
Yeah, thanks for the heads up.

Beginners should start with a routine something like the below.

Day 1: chest, triceps, shoulders
Day 2: rest
Day 3: legs and abs
Day 4: rest
Day 5: biceps, forearms and back
Day 6: rest
Day 7: rest

I think splits can be done after about 12 weeks of following such a routine.

If you are talking about a full body workout 3 days a week that might be a lil excessive as the person is working the same muscle group 3 times a week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)