Gay marriage in NSW/Australia (1 Viewer)

should gays be allowed to get married

• yes

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • no

Votes: 49 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
X

xeuyrawp

Re: should gays be allowed to marry in NSW

withoutaface said:
I am involved fairly heavily with the party, but it can't hurt to have debate in other places about the merits of various policies.
'Debate' ? :eek:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

HotShot said:
just wandering if u marry do you get economic benefit? otherwise why would gays marry? is there any benefit? apart from being called brothers..
There are other benefits to it. Such as power of attourney if they are incapacitated.

*Minka*

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
Yes there's an economic benefit, which is why Rorix argues gay marriage should not be allowed - because the purpose of the economic benefit is only to create families. However I've argued there's other purposes of it, some of which I feel serve a greater function.
A family is also extended though adoption. Children do not need to be biological to be family.

Secondly, there are many different types of families in modern Australian and none is less worthy than another, including families with no children.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

What gives the government the right to decide that one way of living is more valid than another? Why should someone who is married receive more benefits than somone who decides to be single for their entire life?

Lundy

Banned
HSC

Trillium said:
I just fail to see why people think they should be able to make decisions about other poeples marriages.
It's their life, their marriage- what gives anyone the right to restrict them from doing what they want (in this case)?
Seriously, it's getting involved in someone else's business to such an extent... gah.
What the hell is it going to do to you?
I think what they're getting worked up about is that gay marriage makes a mockery of, cheapens and subverts the ancient and sacred institution of holy matrimony, which by "god's divine will" is exclusively between man and woman. So while it would not effect them directly, it would offend and pervert their faith somehow.

I don't agree with that sentiment, though. I'm very much in favour of gay rights.

davin

HSC
N/A

Xayma said:
Lets extend your argument to intersex marriages then. Oh wait those who don't fit into either male or female are quite stuck trying to find someone of the opposite sex.
if i recall my bio right, there's no such thing as a true hemaphrodite in humanity, it is still either male or female, just that sometimes the characteristics are stunted.

anyway, i'm not saying that the historical definition of marriage is correct and fine, just saying that the focus of the debate should be how we define marriage, not "letting gays marry" because thats not directly addressing the problem. they can marry, just not who they want.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

If you recall your bio right you would realise that sometimes miosis doesn't always work correctly. Hence some sperm carry XY instead of X xor Y. If these sperm fertilise an ovum then the resulting embryo and baby having XXY for their sexual chromosomes. Which doesn't fit into either sex.

Trillium

HSC

I think what they're getting worked up about is that gay marriage makes a mockery of, cheapens and subverts the ancient and sacred institution of holy matrimony, which by "god's divine will" is exclusively between man and woman. So while it would not effect them directly, it would offend and pervert their faith somehow.
Ah. Thankyou for that :) We had this discussion in SOR a while back, and as a member of a catholic school, i can say it was... interesting.
It seems religion automatically gives a person the right to be personally offended by what other people do in their own lives.
*sighs* This is where one has to come to terms with the fact that no argument, however logical, will ever batter down the walls of "But God says so."
Though, i wonder, if the marriage was not a religious one, merely legal, would it be seen in the same light??

~Trill

Last edited by a moderator:

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC

no, taking all the benefits...i dont want my tax to go to a bunch of assfuckers.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

1)You're a bigoted homophobe.
2)This wouldnt give them your tax dollars it would give them their tax dollars
3)You're an ignorant fuckwit and show no sign of getting smarter - or indeed learning - at all.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

loquasagacious said:
1)You're a bigoted homophobe.
2)This wouldnt give them your tax dollars it would give them their tax dollars
3)You're an ignorant fuckwit and show no sign of getting smarter - or indeed learning - at all.
Thats life. Not everyone is going to take the other seriously, and not everyone is going to agree with anothers opinions. Hence, this thread continues on...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Xayma said:
If you recall your bio right you would realise that sometimes miosis doesn't always work correctly. Hence some sperm carry XY instead of X xor Y. If these sperm fertilise an ovum then the resulting embryo and baby having XXY for their sexual chromosomes. Which doesn't fit into either sex.
They end up as stupid men who are really built iirc.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

Thats more inline with XYY Syndrome which isn't intersexualism in the same way that XXX syndrome isn't.

XXY generally produces people who identify as male but the case of transsexualism is a fair bit higher then the general population. Chimerism can also occur, which is closer to a true hemaphrodite, having both male and female reproductive tissue.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Hmm, on googling you're right, but what we were taught in bio was that xxy= dumb men and xyy= almost never goes to term.

mearsy454

HSC

hey random question but how the hell do u use this website??

crustafa

HSC

There's 4 basic laws of marriage.
1. You cannot marry someone who is already married.
2. You cannot marry someone who is closely related to you.
3. You cannot marry someone under 16.
4. You cannot marry someone of the same sex.

To alter one law is discriminatory. If gay marriages are allowed, then why shouldn't i be allowed to marry someone who is under 16, already married and just happens to be my sister? To change one rule and not any others is discriminatory.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

crustafa said:
There's 4 basic laws of marriage.
1. You cannot marry someone who is already married.
2. You cannot marry someone who is closely related to you.
3. You cannot marry someone under 16.
4. You cannot marry someone of the same sex.

To alter one law is discriminatory. If gay marriages are allowed, then why shouldn't i be allowed to marry someone who is under 16, already married and just happens to be my sister? To change one rule and not any others is discriminatory.
1. Shouldn't exist. So long as all partners know about each other then there is nothing wrong with polygamy.
2. Also shouldn't exist. So long as you don't have sex with this person there is no problem. Some people could say this'll encourage related people to have sex, but I'd argue that if I was going to fuck my sister, I'd do so irrespective of whether I could marry her or not.
3. Minors are incapable of exerting their freedom to choose, therefore need to be protected.
4. Same deal as 1 and 2. Hurts noone.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Discrimination based in logic is ok lol

What you're saying is like me saying 'it's discrimination that people can play baseball and I can't kill people', they're not analogous and the way we examine it is by looking at each on a case by case basis...

In conclusion,
You're a Nut.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

And just as a note the other rules are not so much rules as guidelines eg polygammy is practised in some countries, and via a loophole i believe that you do not have to be 16 to marry - IF you do then this is a relatively recent change.

Trillium

HSC

(do posts often randomly disappear??)

But anyway- altering a law isn't really discriminatory if the law itself was discriminatory in the first place. You can't lump every law that has to do with marriage in one group and say- "if you change one, you have to change them all" It's just a petulant response.
You have to look at the reason, and time, these laws were made, and what prompted them.

In the case of 'gay marriage' i guess it started in the bible (when reproduction was kind of important seeing as the Jews had just left slavery, were looking for a homeland and were desperate to keep their culture going) and in Australia, was based on religion, back when Australia was a very religious place.
Nowadays, while you can't discount religion entirely, we're becoming a much more secualr society, and religion is seperate from state- to keep laws made when our society was different without reviewing them is a bit weak.
~Trill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)