Girra or Penrith? (1 Viewer)

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Does Baulko also make an extra class for yr 10 like penrith and Girra? Also should I apply for Girra at all or leave 3rd preference blank?
Nah baulko usually doesnt open an extra class on yr10, just based on whoever leaves lol. Just apply for girra anyways its only an extra 50 dollars so might as well

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
I'm applying for selective into Yr 10, and I was wondering what school you would say is better. For your reference, both are equal distance apart 45-50m to me so travel time isn't a factor in determining which one would be better suited for me. I average around 4-5 As and the rest Bs in my reports, I frequently participate in clubs and competitions eg. AMC, AHC, BSC. AGC etc. I got into zone for swimming and cross country both this year and last year, I was U13s age champion last year for swimming, zone athletics 2022, Sydney West Swimming 2022, First in class science, history, geography, pdhpe, first in course geography (2022) and I also do the premier challenges such as reading, sporting etc.

I also do Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Squad Swimming, Piano and rugby outside of school which I've also earned awards in such as in ISKA, swim meets etc. I also do some volunteering at my church among other things

I want to apply for Girra as it seems like a better school however I feel as if the competition to get in there is much higher than the one of Penrith and I don't want to "waste" my first preference, but I've also heard and seen that Girra is steadily losing ranks each year. From 2020-2022 Penrith was usually around 10 places behind Girra however in the 2023 HSC Penrith was only 3 ranks behind. Maybe, it was just a bad year for Girra idk but I've heard on BOS that each year Girra is getting worse. On the same note, I've also heard how Penrith kids say how bad their school is and wish they went somewhere else, especially Girra. Also, it seems that Girra makes an extra class in yr 10 which allows for the enrolment of a greater number of new students than Years 8, 9 and 11.

Which schools would you say have a better environment, facilities, teachers, programs for uni, and also sport opportunities as that's a big thing for me.

My 3rd preference at the moment is Fort Street as that's the next closest school after Baulko, which I'm not going to apply for as the chance of me getting in there is much much much slimmer than all the other schools mentioned. Also. if you have any other school suggestions feel free to comment them.

Btw this doesn't relate to the actual post however my friend at Granville said that he was able to move up a year so now he's 14 in yr 10, so he'll graduate at 16. Have you ever heard of any other schools allowing students to move up a year, and is it even allowed?
I can def say Penrith bc its a really good experience to go there. The school community is extremely inclusive and teachers, staff and seniors go out of their way to include +engage all students. You seem like a person interested in extracurriculars and joining many extracurriculars and out of school activities is highly encouraged there (not to mention they have a lot). Hope this helped

HSC
Thank you to both eternallyboreduser and blueberrymilkbread for your responses.

Would you have any tips to prepare for HAST and Edutest? I found Edutest easier than HAST for me I have a feeling I would've made it into Girra or Penrith but I bombed abstract reasoning. I legitimately guessed everything, I did not understand Abstract Reasoning at all. I got everything else either High top 15% or low top 10%

Any tips/ways to prepare for it? I know I should focus more on abstract reasoning as to strengthen my weak points but the sample abstract reasoning tests were nothing like the ones on the actual HAST test. Any resources or websites you'd also recommended?

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
Thank you to both eternallyboreduser and blueberrymilkbread for your responses.

Would you have any tips to prepare for HAST and Edutest? I found Edutest easier than HAST for me I have a feeling I would've made it into Girra or Penrith but I bombed abstract reasoning. I legitimately guessed everything, I did not understand Abstract Reasoning at all. I got everything else either High top 15% or low top 10%

Any tips/ways to prepare for it? I know I should focus more on abstract reasoning as to strengthen my weak points but the sample abstract reasoning tests were nothing like the ones on the actual HAST test. Any resources or websites you'd also recommended?
I haven't done HAST so I'm not really sure. Sorry about that :(

hi_998

HSC
I'm applying for selective into Yr 10, and I was wondering what school you would say is better. For your reference, both are equal distance apart 45-50m to me so travel time isn't a factor in determining which one would be better suited for me. I average around 4-5 As and the rest Bs in my reports, I frequently participate in clubs and competitions eg. AMC, AHC, BSC. AGC etc. I got into zone for swimming and cross country both this year and last year, I was U13s age champion last year for swimming, zone athletics 2022, Sydney West Swimming 2022, First in class science, history, geography, pdhpe, first in course geography (2022) and I also do the premier challenges such as reading, sporting etc.

I also do Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Squad Swimming, Piano and rugby outside of school which I've also earned awards in such as in ISKA, swim meets etc. I also do some volunteering at my church among other things

I want to apply for Girra as it seems like a better school however I feel as if the competition to get in there is much higher than the one of Penrith and I don't want to "waste" my first preference, but I've also heard and seen that Girra is steadily losing ranks each year. From 2020-2022 Penrith was usually around 10 places behind Girra however in the 2023 HSC Penrith was only 3 ranks behind. Maybe, it was just a bad year for Girra idk but I've heard on BOS that each year Girra is getting worse. On the same note, I've also heard how Penrith kids say how bad their school is and wish they went somewhere else, especially Girra. Also, it seems that Girra makes an extra class in yr 10 which allows for the enrolment of a greater number of new students than Years 8, 9 and 11.

Which schools would you say have a better environment, facilities, teachers, programs for uni, and also sport opportunities as that's a big thing for me.

My 3rd preference at the moment is Fort Street as that's the next closest school after Baulko, which I'm not going to apply for as the chance of me getting in there is much much much slimmer than all the other schools mentioned. Also. if you have any other school suggestions feel free to comment them.

Btw this doesn't relate to the actual post however my friend at Granville said that he was able to move up a year so now he's 14 in yr 10, so he'll graduate at 16. Have you ever heard of any other schools allowing students to move up a year, and is it even allowed?
Dont try for Penrith. One secret many don't know when applying for Penrith is the Chemistry/Physics entry protocals. I go to penrith and to be able to do chem/physics, an exam must be taken and they only pick the best of the best. They look at how you perform in science from yrs 9-10. In my experience, this definitely has caused so much tension and desire to be able to get into a subject that many comprehensive schools can let you choose. Yes, penrith let in students pretty openly, but I definitely dont think it is worht apply for. Infact, I am trying to get into sghs because of how unorganised the school is. They do not have enough teachers to supply the kids and the transport to get to school is not worht putting in all the effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)