HARRY POTTER: Has anybody noticed....? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
blamethesystem said:
lol has anyone noticed the similarities between h.p. and LOR??? and LOR is so much better
You will find that most fantasy books are formed around similar ideas, it's just that it is the unique twists that tend to drive some to the fore.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I don't think JKR hates HP, I think its just character development.
exactement...
I mean HP wouldn't have built up such a substantial fanbase without a jittery plot.

Sutaseyu

Is Looking At You
HSC
Argonaut said:
I'm just saying, Fan Fiction is usually pathetic (I should know, I've written some before (not HP)). But we've covered this in the other Harry Potter thread.
Fan Fiction to me is some of the best reading material in existance. Although there are many badly written ones there are also some real gems hiding on the net.

rumour

HSC
Sutaseyu said:
Fan Fiction to me is some of the best reading material in existance. Although there are many badly written ones there are also some real gems hiding on the net.
All of the ones I've read are smut!!!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Harry is the poor tortured Hero. Thats why JKR likes throwing all these problems at him. But latley, he's loosing the whole 'hero' persona. At least, with PoA onwards he is developing his faults --> He's more human now that he was in CoS and PS. By the time you get to OotP, he has the attitude of a typical 15 year old, not some Saint. Still brave, but by no means perfect.

As for LotR, there are certainly similarities, but like Generator said, most fantasy books are built around the same storyline. And even with that in mind, there isn't that much thats really the same, not that I can see at least.

sex_bomb_410

I think this forum would be useful if i was about 10 years old and actually interested in reading about shitty magic and surrealism and all the bullshit that goes on in these "childrens" novels........seriously guys.....harry potter....ur a bit old dont u think??

Generator

HSC
N/A
It may be a series for younger readers, but is there any real problem in reading through something a little lighter than the standard 'adult' text?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Bug --> No, not in the slightest

If you don't enjoy the books, why join a thread where it topic cleary states 'HARRY POTTER'

hbk_ace

your all F**k Liars
HARRY POTTER ROCKS< RABITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahahha except the third movie, i thought it was shit

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
hbk_ace said:
HARRY POTTER ROCKS< RABITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahahha except the third movie, i thought it was shit
omg......*nearly has a heart attack* how can u say that??? the 3rd movie was the best out of all of them!!!!!!!! *takes deep, calming breaths* how could the 3rd movie be shit?? why?? wat was wrong with it?? i LOVED it!!!!!!!! explain...

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I personally didn't enjoy any of the movies. I felt they were kind of "dumbed down", and that's saying something, because the books weren't exactly over-intelligent. (not saying the books aren't good, just that you don't exactly have to be an intellectual to read them)

tennille

HSC
I thought the third movie was the worst. I felt as if they omitted much of the plot. Very disappointing. But maybe if I watch it for a second time, I might enjoy it more...

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
Logain said:
I personally didn't enjoy any of the movies. I felt they were kind of "dumbed down", and that's saying something, because the books weren't exactly over-intelligent. (not saying the books aren't good, just that you don't exactly have to be an intellectual to read them)

Tennille said:
I thought the third movie was the worst. I felt as if they omitted much of the plot. Very disappointing. But maybe if I watch it for a second time, I might enjoy it more...

reeli?? you didnt like the movies?? wooooowwwww..........most people did.... i know they got rid of a lot - that was a bit :( but i still liked them....

Plebeian

Each successive book has either a longer or more complex plot (ie. OP is longer than GF, which is longer than PA and so on), but they still have to fit the story into a movie of similar length... so they're going to have to leave out more and more each time. However, I think the movies are getting better, not worse.

In response to the thread's title, JK Rowling created Harry Potter. Wouldn't it seem a little counter-intuitive to develop a long series of books centred on a personality that you hate? The challenges he faces are just character development, designed to make the reader empathise with him (all the novels are told very much from his point of view, not an impartial narrator's one).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, 3rd movie was terrible. They cut things and re-arranged everything and let out the best bits --> like the McGonagall - Trelawny bickering. Emma Thompson and Maggie Smith are awsome, it would have been hilarious to see them argue. The twins and their humour, paying out Percy etc, none of that was in there. And, as usual, they are leaving out the whole back story to the Snape - Marauders hating each other. They have left it out of every movie!!

And they're leaving out much of Snape's backstory in the GoF too, which will ruin it for me. If they cut McGongall's remarks to Umbridge and the Snape/Marauders in OotP, then I'm going off the movies!

Probably not, but they just leave the best bits out for me...

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Yeah, in relation to the things that happen to Harry, it's called drama and tension. The reason bad things happen to Harry is that so things can come right in the denouement, creating a sense of closure in the story.

Bah, stupid english has got me analysing everything... *mutters*

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
White Rabbit said:
and let out the best bits --> like the McGonagall - Trelawny bickering. Emma Thompson and Maggie Smith are awsome, it would have been hilarious to see them argue.

The twins and their humour, paying out Percy etc, none of that was in there. And, as usual, they are leaving out the whole back story to the Snape - Marauders hating each other.

If they cut McGongall's remarks to Umbridge and the Snape/Marauders in OotP, then I'm going off the movies!
the quotes that i left there are exactly how i feel...(excpet i wont EVER go off the movies) i h8 how they cut out so much - ESPECIALLY fred and georges humour. they're pretty funny in the books and they arnt reeli so in the movies and that is dissapointing but that still dosnt stop me from loving the movies the third more than the others.

i agree with what you say about book 5 too - it would suck for those scenes you mentioned to be cut because they are scenes that i would love to see.

a little off topic here but - why are we discussing movies in the reading room?? hehe oh well....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)