Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

Sarahj

There's one very simple reason English is required. It is because most university and TAFE degrees require a pass in English. At least, that's what I gathered from the 'Job Guide' and other material we were given at the end of year 10.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
umm... me thinks all the courses in hsc are english now except for math... maybe they'll change that as well. :p
They've got some essays on the life and works of the Pharaoh's mathamaticians, and Pythagorus too.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
*wading into the debate without having read all 13 pages*
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't English the only compulsory for*ALL* uni courses? (hence the boohaha about O/S students and medicine)
+ when you are at uni, most if not all of your assessments require the English skills that you have learnt at HSC level.
yes, I agree that the content is abit on the "ho-hum" side but then, you can say this for ALL HSC subjects. What is important are the skills........ and yes, English skills are more than important in the practical subjects. How do you think peoples work and research get published? Not through a bunch of numbers but as complex reports that aim to prove or show or argue a point of view! Sound familiar to the HSC sciences??

Just my 2 cents worth.....

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I don't know....have you ever read a published report for eg someones masters or doctorate?
I would classify a 20,000 to 100,000 word report or thesis an extreme level of English......... especially of its ones "life's' work!"
Might mention this concept to my brother in law who has just finished a 60,000 "worder" for Monash in Computer Science.. he'll laugh at the notion!
Oh well, you will find out at Uni I guess........

Last edited:

ND

HSC
That fact is that people don't take up science to learn how to construct an argument, they take it up cos the wanna learn science...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
bah
this is useless the facts are being mixed and muddled

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
That fact is that people don't take up science to learn how to construct an argument, they take it up cos the wanna learn science...
but isnt science about testing arguments and constructing your own argument?

ie proving/disproving/expanding the many scientific theories out there??

I would have thought *one* of the ultimate goals of science was to discover *something* ie prove your argument! (isnt this also known as an hypothesis...sorry my HSC physics and chemistry is a little rusty)

(BTW:could not the same could be said for applied or pure maths as well)

I dont know.........maybe my idea of science (ie not HSC scientific "theory") is different to yours..............

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
testing/(dis)proving/constructing arguments does not equal to regurgitating to a specific reproduced formula, of which 95% of the time are without actual comprehension of the scenario or solid knowledge base.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
testing/(dis)proving/constructing arguments does not equal to regurgitating to a specific reproduced formula, of which 95% of the time are without actual comprehension of the scenario or solid knowledge base.
hence the importance of where things have come from ie an understanding and appreciation of the "history" (ie the where, why and most importantly, the how- which is turn ties back into the proving/disproving and constructing a valid argument as central to the *real* (not HSC) scientific process) which cannot come about without real "English skills" (getting back to the original idea of this thread.

Point in case is what you wrote! (doesnt really make sense therefore your argument is automatically flawed!!)
LOL

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
in yr 11 you just need to understand the concepts, the HSC is a whole new course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)