Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
year12 is about choosing your best subjects and see how high a mark you can get so uni's can discriminate against who they pick to do certain degrees, hence perform certain roles in society... this is also known as the job theorem. :)
Exactly I want to be an Engineer more specifically an Aeronautical Engineer (even more specifically an Aerospace Engineer (Armament)), how does an ability to analyse shakespeare influence how I will do in that carrer, it doesnt. Maybe we should all move to SA where they can exchange english for another humanities subject in yr 12.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Xayma
Exactly I want to be an Engineer more specifically an Aeronautical Engineer (even more specifically an Aerospace Engineer (Armament)), how does an ability to analyse shakespeare influence how I will do in that carrer, it doesnt. Maybe we should all move to SA where they can exchange english for another humanities subject in yr 12.
SA? hahaha... thats hardcore... just because of english LOL. oh wait and hsc science.

Aerospace Engineer? the one at usyd? 99.30? wow good course... such a high uai. i believe its the highest uai for a non-combined degree. :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
SA? hahaha... thats hardcore... just because of english LOL. oh wait and hsc science.
There was a girl from NeMeSiS in 2003 who didn't doo English for her HSC equivalent in SA. She got a scholarship from UMelb, but they reneged when they found out she hadn't done English.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Aerospace Engineer? the one at usyd? 99.30? wow good course... such a high uai. i believe its the highest uai for a non-combined degree. :)
Bugger that, thats a space one, I want the mid 80's one at ADFA. Of course a semester overseas sounds nice but I wont get that high (unless everybody else falls asleep half way through each HSC exam)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
We have been debating for 12 pages ... in my opinion i really think that they should both be compulsory or both optional! But realistically i dont think this will happen, well not for us anyway so our complaints are useless! does anyone think the BOS will change?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
yeah thats all it is math = english, and not math < english. :)

but for the english people... you already have enough english subjects anyway... history, social science, science, etc.

while there are only 4 units of math maximum. :mad:

BOS will never change... unless we all drop out of school for that reason and go to SA. then Mr Bob Carr will come in and say whats going on... i don't want SA to be stealing our students... and he'll sack the education minister and kill english. :)

Classic

there are only 4 units of maths, but it can also be applied in physics, some chem ... etc.
I feel english is a relevant course in the HSC and for ppl saying:
'yeah thats all it is math = english, and not math < english.'
this is not true - the BoS obviously thinks that math = english, as although english counts, maths has exceptionally high scaling statistics.
Perhaps we are looking at this from the wrong angle ... perhaps the BoS needs to include a course that is common to ALL students in order to rank students more effectively by comparing marks in the same area - which is english. The reason for this is because english is spoken by a vast majority of the candidates and different levels can be made available (Advanced / standard). It is a broad course that can be applicable to many study areas and can be interpreted by all students in different ways. For those who are 'smart' but in the maths areas and feel this is un-fair in regard to their rank - the ultra maths scaling compensates for this. What do u think?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
well math does not have ultra high scaling.

the math cohort especially 4u math is extremely smart, ie high average scale, because of asians... like i said in an ealier post asian country have a way better educational system than australia... not just in math but other subjects as well. the thing is asians' don't have english as there main language, so they are not good or rather not extremely good like they are at math and science subjects.

but the hsc science is not science... its english in disguise.

so i don't know... if you make math compulsory or english non-compulsory and change science, people might complain that too many asians are taking over australia's good jobs because they'll all get into uni easier or something. but asians still manage top marks with this rather odd hsc syllabi in all the courses... that shows how weak australia's eductional system really is. :(

on a side note, you know that some asian countries do the math that you call 4 unit in australia starting at around year 7 or 8 without any choice. now thats skills... :p

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
but the hsc science is not science... its english in disguise.
here comes the debate again -- I totally agree though!!!

The fairest thing all round would be to make everything optional and if they were going to have a general subject to compare everyone with it should be like general knowledge / common sense or something where u learn a diverse range of subjects and broaden ur intellect. thats more fair than anything!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
english is tolerable.. if i could drop it - i would! but science always dissapoints me, i was so excited about physics because i heard it was based alot on maths and calculations and now every test i have the calculations are worth 1-2 marks and there are essays assessing the practibality, cost etc of something or other that are worth 6-7 marks! :chainsaw:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
English is ok... its the fact that it counts towards the UAI bugs me though. Make it compulsory but not towards UAI (you would see alot more do 12 units then)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
6 units... *resisits urge to bring up biology thing. I only have 4 but I have Engineering Studies which is like another HSC science (we do histroy of lawnmowers in yr 11 etc.)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i think they've only kept english compulsary so they can continue to somehow compare everyone that sits the hsc... its the only common denominator. although it is very askew because as we all know some of us are better at other things and suck at english!

but i don't agree with it. you can't compare everyone based on just english, and it is no longer life skills. it becomes a lot more than that.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But English as a Second Language proves that everybody doesnt need to do the one subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)