Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar

i cant believe you're complaining about writing explanations for things as if it is "hiding english in other subjects". that is just so inane and ludicrous
actually many of my mates who did sciences also complained about the same thing

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i suppose its just my opinion but i think science should be more about actually experiments and calculations rather than extended responses! alot of ppl agree but then some may not! This whole debate is all based on opinion and bias.. those who like english are going to want english as a subject. Those that dont like it, or dont think it is necessary in their life because of watever reason, will not want to study it! i dont think we should start getting pissed over it spin spin sugar! if i offended u or watever im sorry but dont take it too seriously.. we're just having a discussion with opinions and everyone has the right to an opinin! but then again thats my opininion

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Courtenay
i think they should make more levels of maths and everyone should have to do maths too

AND in the UAI calculation, it should have to be the 2 unit part (ie the advanced or standard) which MUST count in the UAI calculation

thats my big beef, because 3 and 4 unit are independant of the common course
OMFG STOP COMPLAINING!!

Goddammit its not good enough that English isnt as highly scaled or even considered hard anymore, we have maths freaks wanting more scaling and higher stuff for it...

come on people, when i need to use the "reality" of maths and all its relevance on a random, spontaneous, unpredictable life then i think ill go use some imaginary numbers to supplement the very fact that i cant even comprehend the lies and propoganda being thrown into my face by an oppressive ruling society, due mainly to the fact that i cannot question anything they say rather just conform to the "rules" ....

I have a major beef with people saying that maths is better, maths should be compulsory...when something needs to be compulsory there has to be a major and overwhelming need for it, maths is a choice because apart from the basics of life there really isnt a need for it in many an occupation!!

When you get screwed for getting high b5's for all humanities subjects and even an e4 for Ext Eng 2 and still not good enough to get a bloody 90 score then you can complain to me yeah.

For now enjoy the fact that your subjects are considered "harder"

Originally posted by iambored
stage 6 eng - what do i use now? nothing. i can't remember what i learnt in sci in year 10

i agree, basic grammer AND basic maths should be compulsory
Basic maths is learnt by year ten, if you didnt know basic maths up to year 11-12 you need to go have a hard look in the mirror and contemplate ritual suicide...jkz..we do not encourage such actions ehre...but seriously thats how stupid saying that is...

oh its grammar by the way again another example of the need for people to take up the english course

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mazza_728
I agree! if i could drop english i would -- i really dont respond to it, i have such a maths brain! i support the fact that up to yr 11 both subjects are compulsory but once you enter year 11 i think students should be able to pick all their subjects, the subjects that are going to assist them personally for wat they wanna do in the future. im sure if maths was made compulsory in year 11-12 people would be complaining that they dont need to know integration to be successfull in their lives .. and thats fair enough! but people who relate better to maths may agree that they dont need to be able to compare emma to clueless to be successful in their personal endeavours! i think having learnt more than the basics up to year 11 is enough! People are different .... they want different things from life and i think the BOS should appreciate this by making all subjects optional!
use sophisticated terminology for english and appropriate them *if that makes sense

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
BLAH, sif u neads Engrish to expressed themselves wen sciences to study. wat writing for?

..eh E=mc<sup>2</sup> :cool:

is a roflcopter
HSC
then many of your mates are retards too. having to express things in writing is a fact of life.
incidentally they are mostly high 99 people =/~~

even as a humanities-type student, i can agree with them in seeing how unnceccesary it is to qualitatively bitch on for 2 pages when a couple of numbers would suffice

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Newbie

even as a humanities-type student, i can agree with them in seeing how unnceccesary it is to qualitatively bitch on for 2 pages when a couple of numbers would suffice
lol not really, the simple facts of life sure, but to truly express yourself...

theres a big difference between telling a chic that you dont want to go out with her, and expressivley regretting the very notion of your intended actions upon this decision which has inadvertantly needed to be set into motion :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC

whats your point? i am a "99 person" too. i am also aware of the fact that a uai is in no way indicative of intelligence, so i have no qualms in calling them morons for bitching about having to write an essay.

clearly there's a point for "having to bitch on for 2 pages when a couple of numbers would suffice". i would even hazard a guess that perhaps the board of studies is looking to reward people who not only memorise formulae but who can also explain and evaluate things at a sophisticated level.

^___^
HSC
uai is an indication of how hard u work..not necessary of how smart...

for example..my friend is going to TAFE and i doubt his uai is impressive..but i can tell u his social skill is excellent..he works at harvey norman as a salesman and from what i see, he is smart and can think quickly..

see the difference?

street-smart? book-smart? IQ-smart?

u can't use the uai to judge a person's intelligence, but rather his delication to work...

is a roflcopter
HSC
blah blah blah
everyone jump on the anti-uai boat!

you didnt get me in the first place

they got 99s and shit which mean they obviously did well in their science exams and satisified the markers with their numbers rather than essays

anyway mazza definately had a point
many people have found fault with the new syllabus, the whole science moving away from its roots thing.

ND

HSC
clearly there's a point for "having to bitch on for 2 pages when a couple of numbers would suffice". i would even hazard a guess that perhaps the board of studies is looking to reward people who not only memorise formulae but who can also explain and evaluate things at a sophisticated level.

The thing is that the new science syllabuses (syllabii?) aren't about real science; sure there are a few scientific concepts that you need to understand, but most of it is just regurgitating bullshit about historical, environmental and social impact. They're rewarding people who memorise from textbooks.

^___^
HSC
exactly...

wtf does einsteins and plank's conflict during ww2 got to do with physics?

boo! spended like half an hr memorising the main pts of the essay...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
blah blah blah
everyone jump on the anti-uai boat!
uh.............................................................................. yeah.
blah blah blah , high 99 people, blah blah blah, everyone jump on the selective school boat

BORRRINNGG

you didnt get me in the first place

they got 99s and shit which mean they obviously did well in their science exams and satisified the markers with their numbers rather than essays
i'm sure they did. good for them, i couldn't do it.

this is relevant how...?

anyway mazza definately had a point
many people have found fault with the new syllabus, the whole science moving away from its roots thing.
i can;t give a fair judgement either way, so i won't try. but i maintain that having to write extended responses in a science-based subject is not "hiding english in other subjects", unless you are referring to the language itself which we speak in this country. the subject english is about analysing texts - something physics or chem has very little to do with, regardless of how much writing you need to do.

Originally posted by ND
The thing is that the new science syllabuses (syllabii?) aren't about real science; sure there are a few scientific concepts that you need to understand, but most of it is just regurgitating bullshit about historical, environmental and social impact. They're rewarding people who memorise from textbooks.
sounds like most other subjects. in fact i can;t think of one subject that ISNT like that.

^___^
HSC
what ND and newbie refering is that once a maths orientated subject such as Physics where it requires alot of maths now only requires students to memories pointless essays on social issues to get marks..

i've got the 84-92 physics past papers and back then..the only writing requried was explaning physics concept that revolves the math equations needed..which is fair enough..

but now..the 8markers are related to social issues that should be dealt with in other subjects, not in a maths oriented sub such as physics...

the only maths required in the present day physics exams is in the multiple choice section and one or two super basic ones later...

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i think pplz are confusing the subject English with the language english...

like spin spin said, the subject English is abt analysing texts... it has nothing to do with other subjects...

the need to express yourself in english - the language- is vital for everyday communication.. hence having to write a couple of pages to explain a topic is not an attempt to hide the subject English in other subjects, it is merely testing how well one is able to explain oneself..

ND

HSC
sounds like most other subjects. in fact i can;t think of one subject that ISNT like that.
That doesn't change the fact that what they're testing in the "sciences" is not science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)