hating scaling. >=/ (1 Viewer)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
OKK.

is anyone else in year 11 majorly stressing out as yr 12's getting closer n closerrrr.... :(

everyone around me is doing subjects like physicss. and chemm.. and 4u mathsss.. and im totally stressing out because ive just decided to drop to general maths ! >.< . how ' influential ' is scalingg ? .... as in ....

what would be the minimum mark i can gett in my subjects if i want to get a uai in the high 90's ? [ sounds really stupiddd.. cant think of any other way to word it ... basicallyyy.. if worst comes to worstt.. where would my last hope lie at =s ]

all the courses im interested in requires high 90's .... :(

my subjects aree

general maths
avd eng
society and culture
ancient history
history ext [ picking up ]
studies of religion
legal studiess.

im not a maths & sciency person.. makes me depressed thinking about itt.. becaause i really wish i was * sigh *

well anyhoww.
what are the chances of me getting high 90's ? can anyone give me a roughish ideaa ?

im told that ranking is the most important aspect. my grade has 450 which makes it REALLY hardddd... :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Haha - I'm not worried about the stuff that I can't control. I can't affect how the subjects I do are scaled. I can affect how well I do in them, though. So I worry about the stuff that I can control. :)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Haha - I'm not worried about the stuff that I can't control. I can't affect how the subjects I do are scaled. I can affect how well I do in them, though. So I worry about the stuff that I can control. :)

how i wish i was like thatt...
i stress about EVERYTHING :(
hsc's already giving me moodswingss
and its not even here yettt...

-_-"

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
omgd. said:
how i wish i was like thatt...
i stress about EVERYTHING :(
hsc's already giving me moodswingss
and its not even here yettt...

-_-"
LOL, it's more like - I've got enough to worry about without having to worry about scaling. :p
Ask any of the SBHS people here - I'm very prone to mood swings and I stress out more than anyone else in my grade.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
LOL reallyyy..
godd i knw soo many people at that schooll
& theyre all soo SMARTTTT
just reading their english essays makes me realise what im up against in hsc
wish i tried out for selective when i had the chanceee >.<

ro.25

HSC
hey .! i'm pretty nervous about the whole scaling thingo aswell...some people say it's true and then some people say it doesn't even matter..and u have no idea who or wat to believe =| i do general maths and i should really be doing 3 unit maths..dw i no how u feel .!

omgd.

HSC
N/A
i know righttt !!
i saw this uai calculator graph last night which showed two examples of scaling...

student 1 did

chem
physics
4umaths
eng

got an avg of 80 in all of em and got a uai of 91.6

and student 2 did

business studies
business services
general maths
standard english
ancient history

and got an avg of 80 in all those & ended up with a uai of 76 !!!!

i was like OMG what have a doneee =|
LOL
no bt seriouslly
omgd if thats truee ! . :eek:

ro.25

HSC
ahh =| how does that work

i do

adv english
gen maths
bio
chem
legal
drama

and for my uni course i need 3 unit maths :| and i suck at maths .! but the thing is theres always bridging courses...but i don't know if that will give u the same privledeges if u do it in school instead...if u get what i mean :S

omgd.

HSC
N/A
ro.25 said:

i do

adv english
gen maths
bio
chem
legal
drama

and for my uni course i need 3 unit maths :| and i suck at maths .! but the thing is theres always bridging courses...but i don't know if that will give u the same privledeges if u do it in school instead...if u get what i mean :S
well basically student 2 got scaled down where as student ones marks got averaged because their courses were better i guess. *sigh

ohh the unii thingg. well i dno what course ur doing bt my careers advisor told me whn you go to uni all they look at is ur uai. they have too many applicants they dont have the time to go thru your subs ..
all your cert states is your uai .

with courses that have prerequisites they apparently dont even make you do the bridging course but its upto you to get it done because it means the course will require that level of understanding and if you dont have the assumed knowledge you wont be able ot keep up in class....
or tht was what ive been toldd :)

Shoubadoo

HSC
ro.25 said:

i do

adv english
gen maths
bio
chem
legal
drama

My friend is going to become a G.P. and she's not doing maths.
She very smart and will get awesome marks, but she's not doing any sciency subjects, but 4u english and history and legal studies etc.
She could do very well in math, but she didn't want to do it.

Pick the subjects you love- work really hard, and you will get great marks :)

ro.25

HSC
ahh i see... i haven't done much research into it but i see u have. i neda talk to my careers advisor...im just really iffy about the general maths thing and the whole scaling range. i reckon scaling shudnt be included...it should be looked at through the individual performance

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Shoubadoo said:
My friend is going to become a G.P. and she's not doing maths.
She very smart and will get awesome marks, but she's not doing any sciency subjects, but 4u english and history and legal studies etc.
She could do very well in math, but she didn't want to do it.

Pick the subjects you love- work really hard, and you will get great marks :)

realliee?? !
GP as in general pracitionerr ??
because i want to do medicinee tooo
but my theory was.. dont want too much stress during my hscc.. so i picked easy subjects which would let me get good marks & thn pick the relevant courses in unii.. just all the scaling talk around me is giving me the jitterss..and not the good kindd :(
i hopee your rightt !!
thankk youu.. :)

Shoubadoo

HSC
ro.25 said:
ahh i see... i haven't done much research into it but i see u have. i neda talk to my careers advisor...im just really iffy about the general maths thing and the whole scaling range. i reckon scaling shudnt be included...it should be looked at through the individual performance
Yeah scaling is stupid in the fact that people can do really shit and drag your marks down, no matter how well you did.

But really, don't let it worry you. Worry doesn't fix anything.
Do your best, and you will get good marks.
Whatsmore, the HSC will not determine what careers you can do in the future, only how long it'll take you to get there- even if you do not get the desired outcome, there are always courses/steps you can take to get you to your goal, it simply means it'll take a little longer.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
ro.25 said:
Ooo yeahh yeahh have a talkk with themmm..
its good ot have a few prespectivess :)
iv been tryna find out about these things for ages because all this hsc & uni and uai stuff are really eating away at mee =s

i wishh thats how the system was runn :(

Shoubadoo

HSC
omgd. said:
realliee?? !
GP as in general pracitionerr ??
because i want to do medicinee tooo
but my theory was.. dont want too much stress during my hscc.. so i picked easy subjects which would let me get good marks & thn pick the relevant courses in unii.. just all the scaling talk around me is giving me the jitterss..and not the good kindd :(
i hopee your rightt !!
thankk youu.. :)
Yes, general practitioner :]

I am right, because she will do fabulously, and she does no sciencey subjects. So you can get in the 90s UAI :)
I'll ask her about what steps she's going to take after school to become a GP, seeing as she's not doing mathematics, and get back to you.
Ciao bella

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Shoubadoo said:
Yes, general practitioner :]

I am right, because she will do fabulously, and she does no sciencey subjects. So you can get in the 90s UAI :)
I'll ask her about what steps she's going to take after school to become a GP, seeing as she's not doing mathematics, and get back to you.
Ciao bella
thats soo nicee of youuu :) thankk youuu !!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)