How badly can school assessment and rank affect HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

Sphonix

HSC
Now I admit I haven’t achieved what i should of during this year sadly due to lack of organisation and commitment but my marks are still pretty ok cept my chemistry result.

Chem:
Modded assesment 70%
Rank 13/19

Chem was really damaged by failing my prac exam (was very stupid of me, didn't having structure, didn't do it properly, didn't get right results...) and not doing great in the Trial and an assessment task.

I am looking to get around a 85% in chem, I am capable of doing it (I got a High Distinction in the Royal Aus Chem Institute: Chem Quiz), but with such a low rank (I am behind some really bad students even) how will my mark be affected? Will I be stuck with a poor result due to rank? I think I actually come around 5th or 6th in exam results.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
You do know about that 50/50 rule for internal and external results right?

lala2

Banned
HSC
How badly can school assessment and rank affect HSC mark? Very badly. The exact same situation happened with my own Chemistry too. Paid the price by not having a band 6. It depends though. If everyone in your cohort is fairly good, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if you are in a not-so-good cohort, that would be a problem. Quoting myself as an example:

Chem rank: something like 26th out of 53? where only the top 5 were actually any good (read: scholarship holders, and even then, Chemistry was their worst subject across the board), the next 5 were good, but Chemistry again was their weakest subject, etc.
External mark: 92
Shitty moderated assessment mark: 81 ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burn: :burn: :chainsaw:
Overall: 87--DIE! DIE! DIE! (ok, maybe not as borderline as 89, but still....:burn: :burn: :burn:)

I am still angry about it a year later, even though I got into the course I want, probably because I know I actually had the potential to achieve better--that external exam mark wasn't for nothing! And same reason why too--our stupid assessment program made HUGE weighings for the pracs, which I suck at, and we only got the one trial for practice. So everyone didn't have enough practice for the HSC, and so everyone sucked, and so I died too. Didn't help that everyone else was like, 'ah, everyone else will pull me up!' Now, I'm not gonna go into the whole 'if you were good enough, you would actually have gotten 90+ anyway' (cos I received the whole spiel too) but let me just say this is what happens with a shitty rank.

So--pull your socks up--majorly--for the external because any mark--actually, every mark--counts. I guess it was a good thing I resolved to do that otherwise I would shudder at what my Chem mark (and subsequent UAI) would've been.

virus_89

HSC
lala2 said:
How badly can school assessment and rank affect HSC mark? Very badly. The exact same situation happened with my own Chemistry too. Paid the price by not having a band 6. It depends though. If everyone in your cohort is fairly good, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if you are in a not-so-good cohort, that would be a problem. Quoting myself as an example:

Chem rank: something like 26th out of 53? where only the top 5 were actually any good (read: scholarship holders, and even then, Chemistry was their worst subject across the board), the next 5 were good, but Chemistry again was their weakest subject, etc.
External mark: 92
Shitty moderated assessment mark: 81 ??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burn: :burn: :chainsaw:
Overall: 87--DIE! DIE! DIE! (ok, maybe not as borderline as 89, but still....:burn: :burn: :burn:)

I am still angry about it a year later, even though I got into the course I want, probably because I know I actually had the potential to achieve better--that external exam mark wasn't for nothing! And same reason why too--our stupid assessment program made HUGE weighings for the pracs, which I suck at, and we only got the one trial for practice. So everyone didn't have enough practice for the HSC, and so everyone sucked, and so I died too. Didn't help that everyone else was like, 'ah, everyone else will pull me up!' Now, I'm not gonna go into the whole 'if you were good enough, you would actually have gotten 90+ anyway' (cos I received the whole spiel too) but let me just say this is what happens with a shitty rank.

So--pull your socks up--majorly--for the external because any mark--actually, every mark--counts. I guess it was a good thing I resolved to do that otherwise I would shudder at what my Chem mark (and subsequent UAI) would've been.
woahh thats a big difference in external nd assesment marks. Wt ranking is ur skool?

Sphonix

HSC
Hmm, My school is pretty good normally for a public school, and our small class is pretty good (mostly everyone above me is pretty good at the subject). I am glad only 1 unit of my chem has to count because it is my worst subject. It shouldn't be too bad I hope. We will see i guess.

lala2

Banned
HSC
virus_89, my school ranking last year was, according to the Daily Telegraph--22nd.

Ennaoj

HSC
excuse my ignorance - but how can you find out your school rank?

I should have graduated last year - got sick - had to leave - and now am at this TINY new school - and i don't think it would be very good.

And how will this affect my performance?

I am ranked at the top of most of my subjects, however it seems too easy in this new school, with only 24 or so in yr 12.

Thanks

Ennaoj

HSC
Thanks.

It's not on there! *gasp* what a surprise! not...

What is like a knife in the stomach - my old school - is in the top 100.

*mumbles angrily* lol

Does if affect your mark terribly ??

casvana.victor

HSC
ok,
there is this 1 girl at school who is ranked first in like every subject
i am pretty much second behind her in everything
i probly could have beaten her in assessments, but i always assumed that i could just beat her in the hsc exam.
is that true? im starting to have my doubts now
if i am ranked second in my assessments can i beat the person who is ranked first if i beat her in the exam???????????

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
u can beat her in the HSC MARK... but internal u cant... cuz if u do beat her in the hsc.. she's gonna take ur mark or whoever comes first for the aligned internal mark....

this ensure fairness and also ensures that the HSC exam isn't the exam that ppl can make or break...

casvana.victor

HSC
r u serious?
but that is silly
then that means there is absolutely no point in doin the hsc exams at all if everyone is gonna get the same mark and stay in the same rank neway and u take eachothers marks???
i dont get it
that makes it not fair.
we should all have a chance to take over ppl in the hsc cause like me we might have bombed out in the trials and that basically lowered our ranking

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
casvana.victor said:
r u serious?
but that is silly
then that means there is absolutely no point in doin the hsc exams at all if everyone is gonna get the same mark and stay in the same rank neway and u take eachothers marks???
i dont get it
that makes it not fair.
we should all have a chance to take over ppl in the hsc cause like me we might have bombed out in the trials and that basically lowered our ranking

this is why ppl tell you the significance and importance of RANKS... the person coming 1st in your year for watveer subject.. is lilely to stay there.. unless they coem like last int he exams which ios highly unlikely.. i'll give u and example of ppl taking ppls marks.. ok pick a subejct... lets put english.. k? theres Student 1, S2 and S3....
these are there internal ranks:
S1 - 1st
S2 - 2nd
S3 - 3rd....

and int he HSC external exam their ranks change ( maybe cuz some1 went betr)
now comes
S2- 1st in englsh
S3- 2nd
S1 - 3rd...

now for your aligned internal ranks... the student S1 who originally came 1st in your school gets S2 english HSC mark whent hey determine your assessment mark.... but S1 still keeps their HSC mark... and S2 gets their HSC mark.. but gets S3 hsc mark for his internal aligned mark which is sort of an average of the internal and HSC mark accorindg to their ranks... and S3 gets their oustanding 2nd place mark int he HSC but gets S1 mark for their aligned internal assessment...

i hope this makes it easier to understand... i gues in a way its good.. because a person coming 1st or 2nd maintains their rank.. and this concept makes the HSC external exam not the only "major thing" but dont get me wrong... if the person coming 1st comes 10th and u came 1st... and you are S2, you can overtake S1 in the aligned internal mark and in the HSC... but the person coming 1st comes 1st for a reason.. cuz there the best at that subject...

casvana.victor

HSC
ok i think i kind of get it
me n the girl who came first were really close in the assessment marks.
ok so the person who is ranked 1st gets the highest exam mark even if it is not theirs. would i get the 2nd highest or does the scaling just give me a mark that is still second highest but not necessarily someones exam mark.

say if we r ranked s1, s2, s3 plus lots of other randoms

wat about if s2 (me) gets the highest exam mark and S1 gets the 3rd highest. would that mean i would get more becasue i cam 2nd and 1st and they only came 1st and 3rd???

???

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
casvana.victor said:
ok i think i kind of get it
me n the girl who came first were really close in the assessment marks.
ok so the person who is ranked 1st gets the highest exam mark even if it is not theirs. would i get the 2nd highest or does the scaling just give me a mark that is still second highest but not necessarily someones exam mark.

say if we r ranked s1, s2, s3 plus lots of other randoms

wat about if s2 (me) gets the highest exam mark and S1 gets the 3rd highest. would that mean i would get more becasue i cam 2nd and 1st and they only came 1st and 3rd???

???
highest exam mark meaning highest HSC exam markk ok... umm u will get the higher Exam mark.. but S1 will take S3's mark for there ALIGNED ASSESSMENT Mark.. and you will jus stay the same.. but remeber S3 still gets her "highest mark in the exam since she came 1st as her EXAM MARK..." but S3 will take S1's Mark (cuz S1 came 3rd) for her ALIGNED Assessment mark... either way this way of doing this is built so that the 1st person in the course gets 1st and 2nd gets second.. etc etc...
this has been the case for several years and decades.. my teacher who finsihed school 20 years ago told me hjow it was back then.. but he didnt tel me how it is now.. i found out from a friend...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)