• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC for sale :( (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
does academic crime carry from high-school to uni tho?
i.e. would a uni know if a high school student who was a prospective student at the uni, had plagerised at HS

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I concede that it is unlikely a student who plagiarised at HS would be kicked out of uni UNLESS they were failing anyway in which case the uni might use the oppurtunity to shed some dead wood.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
addymac said:
Plagiarism is an academic crime that educational institutions take very seriously, if there was hard evidence and names named rather than hersay then maybe something would be done...
Well it's not a crime. It's not even infringing copyright when the author gives them permission

They can't really punish the teacher other than firing her, and I don't think any legal proceedings could really be brought against the students, they could only be expelled.

I'm trying to think maybe the school could sue the students in tort for deceit for damaging the school's reputation maybe... but its a flimsy stretch

spell check

HSC
townie said:
does academic crime carry from high-school to uni tho?
i.e. would a uni know if a high school student who was a prospective student at the uni, had plagerised at HS
that doesn't even make sense

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Well it's not a crime. It's not even infringing copyright when the author gives them permission

They can't really punish the teacher other than firing her, and I don't think any legal proceedings could really be brought against the students, they could only be expelled.

I'm trying to think maybe the school could sue the students in tort for deceit for damaging the school's reputation maybe... but its a flimsy stretch
yeah there's not really much apart from expulsion that they can do.

yes, all they can do is fire the teacher, but that won't stop her doing it. Sounds like you can make better money doing that than teaching.

And to townie, i don't see how the school can pass on the student's academic info to a university. It's a logistical nightmare. Seriously doubt it would happen, though if the uni suspected a student of plagiarising or practices like these, they could probably check with the school to see if it's happened in the past. but i doubt they'd do that either.

funniboi

HSC
its funny how they scam their way into uni,

if they cant even keep up in high school, in uni they'll just choke.

but damn, payin up to $5k is just bullshit.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
Beside the fact that plagiarism can be punioshed criminally...

Noone has said that its morally wrong (maybe they have and ive missed it?)

What about some poor kid, who's worked their ass off in their HSC to get good enough marks for their desired course...and they miss out by one mark, and some kid who has cheated their way in, gets in, instead of them?

Meh, its wrong. Thats all!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:

At my school at least we were required to sign a statement declaring that it is our own work etc. Wouldn't signing that if other schools have it be illegal.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Xayma said:
At my school at least we were required to sign a statement declaring that it is our own work etc. Wouldn't signing that if other schools have it be illegal.
my school didn't have anything like that.

and the ethical component is obvious... but firstly, if they're willing to pay they obviously don't care about the ethics of it. And secondly, any other students will feel pissed off and think it's unfair... but would they know?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Not that I'm aware of

it may give the school legal rights to remove them from the school or take some other disciplinary action, but I don't see how it is illegal. There just isn't a law for that, though I am thinking maybe tort of deceit if the school suffered some detriment such as loss of reputation.

Last edited:

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
miss_gtr said:
So does this affect the UAI scaling this year?
no, it shouldn't have any impact at all.

the fact of the matter is that it's probably been going on for years and it's never been picked up. actually i know it's been going on for years, there are sites where if you pay a certain amount of money and give them your essay question, they'll write your essay for you.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The article reads like a steaming turd.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
The ladies name is Pauline Dowd. I don't wanna reveal her High school.

ChrisE

HSC
you cant tell me that many of the hsc's high achievers actually wrote all their essays, phhh of course their tutors do some of their essays its a known fact paid extra or not and we have/had these fraudsters to deal with while the honest ones slogged it out

G

Gavvvvvin

funniboi said:
but damn, payin up to $5k is just bullshit.
Yeah its bullshit, considering an Excel text book costs $20 and Google searches are for free.

I cant see how people can make such a big stink over people paying some bitch to do their work, considering the amount of people who just copy an essay from some text book.

Ill admit some of my assignments were nothing but copy and paste jobs with the thesaurus run over them.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
BOS said:
cheating can result in the loss of marks and/or the cancellation of their certificate
Theres your crime and punishment.

BOS said:
Sooner or later, in an external HSC exam or in the workplace, all students will be judged on their own performance
More eloquently put than has been in this thread.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
BOS said:
cheating can result in the loss of marks and/or the cancellation of their certificate
Theres your crime and punishment.

BOS said:
Sooner or later, in an external HSC exam or in the workplace, all students will be judged on their own performance
More eloquently put than has been in this thread.

tattoodguy

theres nothing wrong with it.... u should have a right to buy and sellll essays etc.

money buys everything its just a fact of life.

theres nothing wrong with it, if you have money u should have a right to buy ur education.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)