HSC for sale :( (1 Viewer)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
tattoodguy said:
theres nothing wrong with it.... u should have a right to buy and sellll essays etc.

money buys everything its just a fact of life.

theres nothing wrong with it, if you have money u should have a right to buy ur education.
yeah but if you work by that very flawed logic, then the economy will fail. Not everyone can afford to pay for an education... and if there aren't enough people working in educated jobs then society has a problem.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think it's important to accept that being rich gives you a competitive advantage in all aspects of life, however blatantly cheating due to money is no better than blatantly cheating through sex.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
tattoodguy said:
theres nothing wrong with it.... u should have a right to buy and sellll essays etc.

money buys everything its just a fact of life.

theres nothing wrong with it, if you have money u should have a right to buy ur education.
You, my friend, are an idiot. Money buys drugs. Do you have the right to buy drugs if you have money? No. Case dissmissed.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
addymac said:
unless you think drugs should be legalised.....
..which still doesnt give you the _right_ to buy drugs. Money may give the power to but not the right to.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, this is just one of the number of ways you can buy your way in to university, there are also full fee places etc.

It sucks. It is morally wrong. But ultimately, these parents and students are not doing anything good for themselves in the long run...

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I don't get why everyone's freaking out etc like this is big breaking news. I don't really care to tell you the truth even if these ppl with these fake marks beat me. Their conscience will have to deal with it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ok, this angers me...
What EXACTLY is your issue with full fee places... don't you think they're not really getting much value for their money?

sy33

sick to the stomach

i thought that the HSC was to test a students ability to control language a talk about what we had been learning......... not a time to buy your way through, what the hell what happens to the people who can't afford to pay for this, they get punished cause they try and do the hsc themselves ,, come on!

^___^
HSC
but just one question

say those students (who struggle academically) and decides to get these tutor to do the school work for them and score a reasonably high course mark

and when the exam comes, i would assume their exam mark should be quite poor, and wouldn't this affect their uai??? cos the article stated one person asked for help in 5 subjectcs and ended up with a uai of 83+, i find that hard to believe...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
... said:
but just one question

say those students (who struggle academically) and decides to get these tutor to do the school work for them and score a reasonably high course mark

and when the exam comes, i would assume their exam mark should be quite poor, and wouldn't this affect their uai??? cos the article stated one person asked for help in 5 subjectcs and ended up with a uai of 83+, i find that hard to believe...
yeah but if you have really high school assessment marks, and poor hsc exam results, i thought they took that into consideration or something?

pete_mate

HSC
im pretty sure its sydney boys high that did it

yeah, just dont do the subjects that require you to prepare beforehand, though 4 unit english is a problem, if they're all good, then we maths guys get screwed

then again, if their tutors pre-prepare the english thing, then theyll suck at the english 2 exam, which means these guys will be scaled down and english 4 unit wont be lifted to a high standard

so it all equals out, stick with maths, economics and other non-hand-in stuff , these guys cant cheat that.

funniboi

HSC
... said:
but just one question

my maths teacher told me this, im not sure if she is right or she was just tryin to scare us

but she said who ever comes first in the assessments,... will get the highest exam mark, like

say if you come first in maths, and in the exam ur mark is ranked 4th, you wont get the 4th highest mark, she told me you'll get the 1st highest mark of whoever sat the test (even if its not urs).. or something along those lines..

if that IS how it works, its completely unfair for the other students that do work hard..

shortie_689

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
And investigation? What will that do?

It's up to schools to judge whether cheating has taken place and take the needed action.
well all the students that did it are looking to have all their places at uni revoked... so it sucks for them in the long run big time i mean out of pocket by $5000 and with no place in uni

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
im pretty sure its sydney boys high that did it

yeah, just dont do the subjects that require you to prepare beforehand, though 4 unit english is a problem, if they're all good, then we maths guys get screwed

then again, if their tutors pre-prepare the english thing, then theyll suck at the english 2 exam, which means these guys will be scaled down and english 4 unit wont be lifted to a high standard

so it all equals out, stick with maths, economics and other non-hand-in stuff , these guys cant cheat that.
There is no exam for English Extension 2.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
There is no exam for English Extension 2.
There are however viva voces and other checks upon the work throughout the year. Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone could get 48 in 4U english JUST BECAUSE they payed to have their final product written for them (which is worth around 25% of the overall mark, though I suppose that they could just as easily have bought their reflection statement too :p).

The article is just a typical daily tele bitch "BMW driving", "selective schools" etc. Besides which $5000 per course isn't that much more than what some kids at places like Prior and Leading Edge pay anyway.

There's nothing to stop kids memorising pre-written English responses - I blame that on our crappy English syllabus which forces kids to memorise essays. Also, there's nothing stopping people having their school assignments written for them. However, anyone who is so useless that they need someone to write the EASY ASSIGNMENTS that you get in year 12 for them (and that aren't worth too much of their school mark anyway) will fail in any school and HSC exams anyway.

TBH though, I can think of plenty of people back at school who swapped work, it's no different.

4U English is a whole different kettle of fish though, and I don't believe that anyone could really still get 48 with a pre-written poem and not have done at least some of the work.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
if students buy their way through the hsc into uni, then how are they going to cope at uni?
When I was discussing it with a lecturer this morning, he said that "we know, believe me, we know".

sy33 said:
i thought that the HSC was to test a students ability to control language a talk about what we had been learning......... not a time to buy your way through, what the hell what happens to the people who can't afford to pay for this, they get punished cause they try and do the hsc themselves ,, come on!
Sy, that's the theory, but in practice, I think that the HSC is very much more about turning a few tricks - that is, jumping through their hoops, telling them what they want to hear (esp. in English - "If I were to stage King Lear set in modern times, I would make Lear a baby boomer" wasn't my best tactical stroke, I warrant, but it was my own opinion, and I backed it up.) and playing the game, except not always fairly, as can be seen from these most recent allegations. I feel sorry for the 05ers, who will probably be put under a fairness *microscope*. Even if they're doing everything by the letter of the book, it's an added pressure.

I personally think that tutoring and the BOS forums saved my French mark - I never asked my tutor to write anything for me - she just proofread my stuff, and went over basics that I'd missed (when everyone else was making a ruckus - it was really ridiculous, by 2nd term 2004, more than half the class had tutors, but did anyone think about maybe shutting up and listening??? no.). Nor did I ever ask any BOS people to write anything for me.

I don't think that proofreading ( To (get someone else to) read copy or proof for purposes of error detection and correction) is cheating, because you can't see the errors that you make in your own English language-ism-thingies, for example, saying that William Shakespeare is a feminist. (anachronistic) rather than saying King Lear can be read in a feminist way. I think it would be hard to find a HSC student that hasn't had someone proofread their work before it was submitted.

Part of learning, I think, is learning what makes the good stuff good, rather than trying to make crappy stuff first off.
Do you think that the BoS will try and come and get BOS? :eek:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
Do you think that the BoS will try and come and get BOS? :eek:
One day the men in black will come for Lazarus ;)

the Board has had painful dealings with him in the past, I'm sure they aren't exactly brimming with adoration for this place

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
One day the men in black will come for Lazarus ;)

the Board has had painful dealings with him in the past, I'm sure they aren't exactly brimming with adoration for this place
Just curious but what have the Board of Studies done in the past?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
Just curious but what have the Board of Studies done in the past?
An example... a while ago on their newsletter to schools or some such thing, on the front page they had a headline:

WARNING!

We would like to warn students about the site "www.boredofstudies.org" - it may not be reliable and may contain false information. We advise that it is not safe to rely on anything in the site, etc etc

Something like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)