I know nothing (1 Viewer)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Okay, I have a 40GB hard drive, which at present has 0.99GB of space remaining. Most of it is taken up by music and various programs my mum uses for her work.. and I can't/don't want to delete these files. I need to get some sort of external hard drive but don't know where to start.

How much do they cost? How much can they hold? and what sort of brands should I be looking out for? Do I have to do anything to my computer, or is is just a hook it up and transfer files across sort of thing?

sunny

meh.
HSC
External hard disks can vary abit in price, and is more expensive than your conventional hard disk. You could expect to pay ~$100 or more for ~80GB.

Most external disks are USB based, so its just a matter of plugging it into your computer's USB port and you're away with a new drive in My Computer.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
BreaKing said:
this thread title reminds me of fawlty towers :)

wow talk about not being able to focus or pay attention....breaking r u drunk?

umm yeah dont go burner (sometimes unreliable if the cd/dvd turns up with a cyclic error or something)

fatmuscle

HSC
steph@nie said:
Okay, I have a 40GB hard drive, which at present has 0.99GB of space remaining. Most of it is taken up by music and various programs my mum uses for her work.. and I can't/don't want to delete these files. I need to get some sort of external hard drive but don't know where to start.

How much do they cost? How much can they hold? and what sort of brands should I be looking out for? Do I have to do anything to my computer, or is is just a hook it up and transfer files across sort of thing?
try clearing out some temporary files. They may be of no use

located:

C:\Documents and Settings\*current profile name*\Local Settings\Temp

this is for Windows 2k / XP

if you can't see it, reply. You may have to unhide hidden folders.

sunny

meh.
HSC
velox said:
80gb drives are $99 alone, arent they?
Yes hard disks aren't expensive anymore, but once people slap it inside a USB case they jack up the price.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
you can get an 80gb hdd for about $98.. an external box for the drive will set you back arround $100. I cant find them on my wholesale pricelist. but a CD ROM external box for a decent one with USB and Firewire will set you back arround $80 just to give you an idea :)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
if u have a DVD burner , burn shit onto DVDs 4 or 8 gigs of space on each DVD thats good value.

or u can wait for a few month till the Blue-Ray disks come out. and burn basically yuor whole harddrive onto one disk. each disk is about 30 gigs

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
fatmuscle said:
try clearing out some temporary files. They may be of no use

located:

C:\Documents and Settings\*current profile name*\Local Settings\Temp

this is for Windows 2k / XP

if you can't see it, reply. You may have to unhide hidden folders.
I couldn't see it, but I do know how to show hidden folders and I just deleted it all.

and as for burning the music onto cd/dvd, there's no point. I have an ipod and an itrip.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
you can also uninstall unused windows components

the ones u never use and r found in remove/add programs in control panel

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
it'll take more than a few months for blu ray to come out
and they'll be expensive and impractical
just get a cd or dvd burner
holds 0.7gb (CD) or 4.7 gb (DVD single layer) and only costs around 50/110 respectively
or u can just get a new hdd
hdds aren't expensive these days :)

sladehk

le random
HSC
I believe since we moving onto Dvd's now, BluRay will become yet another failed concept like those Sony Magnetic Tape thing(was better than VHS but never became popular)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i reckon.
anyone who thinks a new format of DVD will dominate any time soon needs to be shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)