i suck at general maths HARD! (1 Viewer)

Rebecca1234

HSC
Hi, i am in year 12 next term, which in 2007 HSC year ... i have sucked at Maths all of my schooling, an i chose maths to improve and make it look good for my UAI ... The thing with me is when a teacher explains something to me, i get it, than when i get to class the next day i forget it ... i have no idea how to study maths and need major help :S please someone help me ... i do chapter reviews, past HSC papers, i get on HSC online, i get resources and i am getting a tutor ... :( i jus cant get it please heeellllppppp i will love you forever :) ppppplllllease help!!!!!!!!! Email me Cheeky_Bub4life@msn.com please email me

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry what are you after? Tips for studying? A tutor?

For maths, just keep doing questions. The more you do the more intuitive it is, and the faster and more accurate you get.

HSC
when you get home revise what you did in class, that way you wont forget what to do, and if you do forget then use post-it notes so that when you get to class you can remember to ask your teacher for help

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Maths is like a second language. If you're not always talking it (or studying it) you will eventually forget it.

Only your first language is hardwired into your brain. Maths is a secondary language.

So, just dedicate more time to it.

Also (I hate spamming) but have you checked out this product? http://www.mathspower.com.au/

That product is really good. It is like having a teacher at home that you can replay as much as you like and it will never get frustrated with you.

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
damn spammers ^^

anyways.. for maths... maybe u r trying to memorise the steps?...

u shouldnt memorise..just understand everything...

if u do all the things u said i dont think u will b doing bad.. u r prolly not doing those things.. like homework..

anyways if u have any problems with a maths question den post in dis thread.. there are some smart punks on dis forum...

just keep practicing.. but even if u do a million questions.. it wont help u.. unless u nuderstand why they do it like that..

copy the examples.. study the xamples then proceed to do the questios

PC

HSC
N/A
Well, strictly speaking, you'll be in Year 11 until December 31 this year. You'll move into Year 12 on January 1.

More correctly, you've probably finished the Preliminary Course and are about to start the HSC component of your course next term.

Yeah, whatever the other guys have said.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
PC said:
Well, strictly speaking, you'll be in Year 11 until December 31 this year. You'll move into Year 12 on January 1.

More correctly, you've probably finished the Preliminary Course and are about to start the HSC component of your course next term.

Yeah, whatever the other guys have said.
Excellent contribution...

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
ronaldinho said:
u shouldnt memorise..just understand everything...
Well a lot of maths is just memorising. I mean take times tables for an example.

Sometimes just memorising the way things are done will pull someone through.

How do you find out the percentage of something? Put that number there, that number there and that number there and you will get your answer. Looks good on an exam.

PC

HSC
N/A
A combination of both memorising and understanding I think.

I hate it when students use a formula for Pythagoras' Theorem or the sine or cosine rules. Understand how the rule works and what information is required. Forget about worrying about what is a, what is b and what is c.

On the other hand, there is some rote learning required.
1 nm = 1.852 km
1 degree = 60 nm
and those tricky percentages 68%, 95% and 99.7%. Who is ever going to bother worrying about where they come from!

vern

HSC
But after you do so many of those questions, you don't need too memorise them they're stuck in your brain. I didn't even glance at the forumlae sheet when I did the HSC last year, the equations are drilled in if you work hard enough.

melmelrulz

HSC
hey, yeah i have the same problem lol. Uhm... just write down the notes given to you in class and add some random notes on the page that helps YOU understand. It works pretty well for me. Also go home and do chapter reviews out of the text book and do extra exercises if you feel it will help you. I also was coming last in maths all through high school coz i changed schools n they taught differently but yeah, that all seesm to be working well. Good luck :)

PC

HSC
N/A
f3nr15 said:
hh...Balls Of Steel...hhh
big as thee deathstar..hh
Look at the size of those things! :)

Last edited:

rr.dun.dun

HSC
general math is really not that hard. i find it pretty simple except for one part of financial math, people always ask me why i understand the hard stuff but not the simple haha im screwed up. lol but then again i did drop from 2 unit.

anywayy to the point. all you have to do is do questions on the topic over and over again and eventually you will remember them, you dont even have to memorise it because your mind will automatically recall how to do it from last time. .its like watching the same movie over and over again you get so sick of it but you can practically word what the characters are going to say. if you think the problem is how the teacher explains it to you or you dont understand the teacher maybe you should get a tutor. my teacher is not good at all but i usually ask other teachers or my sister so its alright.

hope i could help.

Agywaggy

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Average General Maths exam mark in our year: 50%
Highest General Maths exam mark in our year: 80%

n00bs ...
Stop paying people out!!! Thats so rude.
80% is a good mark!! i wish i could get that mark!
I don't care if your in Extension or whatever but people chose to general maths and not have to put up with you. You do your extension, if your even in extension and LEAVE general maths students to do there work. if thats what they understand it will be better for them to gain the BEST possible marks for the HSC, instead of stuggling in 2 unit and doing very poorly.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
At least less than a dozen students got a Band 5 or 6 in General Maths last year ... a little less than the amount of people getting Band 5 or 6 in Maths, 3U and 4U.

Agywaggy said:
Stop paying people out!!! Thats so rude.
80% is a good mark!! i wish i could get that mark!
I don't care if your in Extension or whatever but people chose to general maths and not have to put up with you. You do your extension, if your even in extension and LEAVE general maths students to do there work. if thats what they understand it will be better for them to gain the BEST possible marks for the HSC, instead of stuggling in 2 unit and doing very poorly.
I actually don't pay General Maths kids out in person and I'm quite fine in Maths thnx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)