If English wasn't compulsory, would you do it? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Yeah, if it was compulsory for HSc not UAI, many people would exploit the system. Given the extreme low popularity of English, the whole course should be scrapped! :p

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
That's how I would like it to be, compulsory for HSC but not UAI :uhhuh:
Ditto. Though, if given the choice, I probably wouldn't do it. It can be interesting at points, but not enough for me to really enjoy it.

I reckon a pass/fail for English, and it counts for your UAI if it's one of your ten best.

confetti-31191

HSC
For sure. I am really annoyed when people who live in our country cannot use correct English. So the fact that is compulsory is great for people like me and besides who is stupid enough to fail?
Besides its one of my Best :)

Last edited:

shane23q06

HSC
HELL NO!!
if i could i would drop english faster than a rabbit gets.... =]

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I'd still do it because I find English quite enjoyable and like its subjectivity.

cs01001

HSC
m0ofin said:
I'd still do it because I find English quite enjoyable and like its subjectivity.
Subjectivity in marking is quite dangerous. I guess if you had quotes to back it up, it will be fine :)

Graniel

HSC
If it were up to me it wouldn't even be a subject let alone compulsory. But I guess I'm a tad biased against it as it's my only bad subject and I don't enjoy it.

andyn

HSC
Yea i'd do it, to get a piece of paper saying that I am able to speak the language.

fiona.p

HSC
two words...HELL NO!! I hate english man...i wish maths was compulsory instead of english

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
fiona.p said:
two words...HELL NO!! I hate english man...i wish maths was compulsory instead of english
lol i find that generally most people who do ext. eng enjoy it but yes i agree, maths ftw !

Dave2007

HSC
Now for all of you people who think english is "stupid" and just want to get back to your maths, phys and chem;

English improves your ability to write (spelling, punctuation, etc...), your writing speed, your ability to construct a logical arguement, familiarity with other text types (e.g. being able to write a letter in the proper format and very importantly how to write essays), your abilities in public speaking/debating/seech-writing, it gets you familiar with texts that are an important part of pop culture today hopefully inspiring you to further reading, and it also makes you question everything you read: to be aware of how people would criticise it, how the techniques are manipulating you, etc...

People who can't do all of these things will struggle greatly in later life. No, it absolutely is not necessary: especially as other subjects like history (With its essay writing and source evaluation) can do the exact same thing. But with English being compulsory it "gurantees" that most of society has these basic skills.

It is also fair that it is so hard on people that hate/can't read very well and foreign students. Because the UAI is almost the only thing universities look at for student applications, if english wasn't compuslory the VERY important fact that a student mightn't be able to write in syntax, speak english properly, or read a book or write an essay would not be factored in at all. Even though they might kick ass at other subjects, the fact english is universally relevant (essay writing, researching/criticising research books and english language skills being relevant to probably every uni course) means that they will actually be less competent than someone with slightly lower marks in other subjects, but who has actually passed english.

ENGLISH WINS.

Legham

HSC
There is absolutely NO reason why you should have to learn the stuff you list, dave2007. Who gives a shit "how techniques are manipulating" and everything else you mention. The only people who will benefit for the bullshit we learn in english are people who want to grow up to be english teachers.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
So you don't buy into propaganda?

Yeah I like that one.

Also it's good to know how to spell, how to correctly structure language etc. I find it immensely handy at work (law firm) to know these things.

Last edited:

Dave2007

HSC
No need to get angry, I'm just trying to be the only person here who actually wants to stick up for english.

I listed the good things it does, why they are necessary, and how compulsory english helps for uni applications.

If you disagree that english either doesnt teach things, that they are not necessary to learn or shouldn't form part of your UAI then that is fair enough, and there is a point of debate. But don't just dismiss my whole list as gay, when, for example, learning how to write essays/construct arguments and appreciating literature are pretty important to a lot more people than just future english teachers.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
English should be a subject which has its limits. Like sure everybody should be able to speak the language, read, write properly. But to the extent that we have to analyse movies and poems, analyse images and study Shakespear, I personally believe should be up to us, depending on what we plan to persue in life or the subjects that we undertake. Essay writing is probably a factor which most high-schoolers should be able to undertake. But well, we HAVE to do english whether we like it or not and I guess thats the way its gona stay for quite a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)