If you will be eligible to vote, who do you intend to vote for? (2 Viewers)

Who are you intending to vote for in the next election?

• Labor

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Liberal/Coalition

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Greens

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Australian (Katter)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Democrats

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Sex Party

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Other/Independent

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Liberal Democratic Party

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

Annihilist

HSC
3 letters for you

L
D
P
Unfortunately they don't have a representative in my area, but they have won my vote as of now.

However I don't support voluntary voting because technically actually voting isn't currently compulsory. You don't have to "vote" but you have to show up and put a paper in. Kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
Debauchee is just another incarnation of Cosmo right?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
"Rudd should have been supported because he has a better chance of holding a Labor majority."

...what?
Rudd will still probably lose although has a better chance of saving members seats than Gillard does.

Annihilist

HSC
Rudd will still probably lose although has a better chance of saving members seats than Gillard does.
The ability to hold power should not be the reason to support a leader.

Out of curiosity, since a republic wouldn't have a constitutional monarchy would you support an elected Executive?
Do we need one? What would be his/her role? We have mandatory elections to keep our leaders in check. Other than that I don't see the point.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, we do need an Executive - if we don't then the system of government we have wouldn't work. Our Constitution brought into existence a system of representative government in which those who exercise legislative and executive power are directly chosen by the people. We might not have an absolute separation of powers, since the Ministers and PM are the Executives and also the Legislature, but we still have possibly one of the best system of government in the world. The Governor-General, though the repository of executive power, does not personally exercise that power, being bound to act with the advice of the Executive Council.

If you'd want to get rid of a constitutional monarchy, we'd obviously need a replacement to the Governor-General, so in essence a President. If you support a republic, would you support a shift towards an American type republic system of government, where the Executive is elected?

Annihilist

HSC
Yes, we do need an Executive - if we don't then the system of government we have wouldn't work. Our Constitution brought into existence a system of representative government in which those who exercise legislative and executive power are directly chosen by the people. We might not have an absolute separation of powers, since the Ministers and PM are the Executives and also the Legislature, but we still have possibly one of the best system of government in the world. The Governor-General, though the repository of executive power, does not personally exercise that power, being bound to act with the advice of the Executive Council.

If you'd want to get rid of a constitutional monarchy, we'd obviously need a replacement to the Governor-General, so in essence a President. If you support a republic, would you support a shift towards an American type republic system of government, where the Executive is elected?
I'll be honest, I'm kind of lost.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

The way a move to a republic would work best is with as little cost and effort involved as possible. What, in essence, should happen is we basically just switch the title of "Governor General" to "President" and don't afford the position with any new power. The issue with this is how that President is put into their position. I suppose it could be a similar situation to the role of Speaker of the House or President of the Senate. The key issue is that we maintain an extremely limited position above that of the Legislative.

I don't think Australia will ever move to a Republic. The public that would be required to vote in a referendum in order for it to occur doesn't care, really. It will also cost a fair bit of money considering we'd have to change our flags and a whole heap of government branding.

Lentern

HSC
The way a move to a republic would work best is with as little cost and effort involved as possible. What, in essence, should happen is we basically just switch the title of "Governor General" to "President" and don't afford the position with any new power. The issue with this is how that President is put into their position. I suppose it could be a similar situation to the role of Speaker of the House or President of the Senate. The key issue is that we maintain an extremely limited position above that of the Legislative.

I don't think Australia will ever move to a Republic. The public that would be required to vote in a referendum in order for it to occur doesn't care, really. It will also cost a fair bit of money considering we'd have to change our flags and a whole heap of government branding.
I was talking to some mates about the republican movement the other day and we decided Australia had gone the wrong way about it with PR campaigns and referenda etc. Instead of trying to become a republic from within, we declare war on England and get ourselves kicked out of the Commonwealth. With the monarch having disowned us we'd have no choice but to either appoint our own or become a republic.

For the record from a constitutional standpoint there is no need for a head of state per se. The executive and the legislature already is effectively the same thing with cabinet being comprised entirely of parliamentarians bar one member and the governor general doesn't even review legislation anymore, how many times have they rejected an act of parliament since 1975? None, how many times have acts of parliament been found to be unconstitutional upon high court challenges? Fucking millions. Many people have suggested fusing the roles of head of government and head of state, I for one see no negative consequences in simply not creating a head of state, it is an entirely nominal office made to accommodate old historical relics like the British royal family.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
the next government will be something akin to a triumvirate (one australian triumvir, one american, one british) following the chinese annexation of indonesia (circa 2030)

discuss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)