INJUSTICE! reporting of marks! (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Okay so here is my situation, in term 1 our extension maths class had an exam, this was the first assessment to count towards our final ext. maths marks. Right, so i came first by 2%, my percentage was 70% and second was a friend of mine (Bob) who received 68%.
Obviously the marks don't seem very pleasing. SO our maths teacher decided to set another test. This time the test would be set with less difficult questions. OUT of the TWO tests the higher mark received would be the mark for our first assessment. SO it would be no surprise that the people who get to do the again would get a higher mark.

On the day the test was held about seven people (myself included) were part of an extra-curricular activity, the activity namely mentoring and held within school grounds. We spoke to the teacher, and asked whether or not we could do the test at a later date and she said yes.

BUT! Later on she wouldn't allow us to do the test!!!! Today she gave back the results of the test and the top mark was 86% (Bob) so Bob has her 86% instead of the crummy 68% but as FOR ME:

SEVEN students (myself included) didn't get to take the test... and she isn't allowing us to. SO we are stuck with our crappy marks ... mine being 70%.

SO now instead of being first like i should have been, I am certainly not in the top 4 :(

• had a maths test
  • came first 70%, second was 68% (BOB)
  • the class marks were low
  • had another test (this test was set with less difficult questions)
  • the higher mark received would be the one taken down
  • 7 students (myself included) did NOT take this test
  • teacher promised a later date for the 7 of us to sit the test
  • teacher then did not allow us to retake the test
  • the marks were given out, marks being much higher students get to keep this mark
  • top mark this time was 86% (BOB)

• WE( the seven of us) keep our first mark (70%) .... so I am no longer ranked 1st
  • 70% goes to my report ...while the other students who got to retake the test.. score much higher than their first test
  • these students get to keep their marks
This is an INJUSTICE.:burn:

Is my teacher allowed to set another test, then have students missing out (due to reasons beyond their control) and not allowing these students to retake the test like everyone else did, when she clearly said on the test date that we would be allowed to sit the test the following day.......?????? grrr

IF she is not going to allow us (7 students) to retake the test ...then why take down the marks of others in the class when clearly this would not be FAIR to the seven students.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Has anyone else experienced something like this before? share your stories please.

Last edited:

pillar

HSC
just be thankful that it's only Yr 11 and the overall result doesn't matter, and be hopeful that shit like this doesn't happen in Yr 12

dux&src

HSC
just be thankful that it's only Yr 11 and the overall result doesn't matter, and be hopeful that shit like this doesn't happen in Yr 12
Thanks! That's the only thing keeping me from blowing my head off!

kwabon

Banned
HSC
nothing u can do about it now ... i guess just study harder, so you can achieve the marks you want in the first go.
and yeh, if it was the HSC, i would have taken it up to the higher ups, but yeh, only year 11, so dont worry much.

dux&src

HSC
nothing u can do about it now ... i guess just study harder, so you can achieve the marks you want in the first go.
and yeh, if it was the HSC, i would have taken it up to the higher ups, but yeh, only year 11, so dont worry much.
But it's very unfair.
that those people get the chance to retake the test.. and score much higher, whereas me and 6 others did not have this chance to improve. Also if there was no retest I would be first anyway...and when I heard there was going to be a retest.. I thought sure, I can handle it and it will be a chance for me to improve on my 70% .. maybe even ending up stretching my lead.

But now that those people have taken the test I am no longer first, I am like 4th or 5th.... WHICH is totally inaccurate..!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Your teacher is a crackhead... what kind of teacher says 'i didn't like the marks you got so we'll do another, easier test, rendering the previous marks irrelevant'.

Last edited:

dux&src

HSC
Your teacher is a crackhead... what kind of teacher says 'i didn't like the marks you got so we'll do another, easier test, rendering the previous marks irrelevant'.
EXACTLY!

Why didn't she just scale the marks like at uni? Idiot.
totally! I mean if the test was that hard why not? but I guess she rather make us do another test and since I could not make it to the test due to duties elsewhere in the school with 7 other students (leadership program). I am stuck with 70% ..grrrrrr and I'm not 1st...

dux&src

HSC
but not only that..we ( 6 students and myself) were told we could take the test the following day..but I and six other students in a (leadership program) were told we could not sit it the following day with no reason...
now we have the initial mark we got for the test where mine is a measly 70%...grrrr
given that the top mark was later 86% for the retest...I might have been able to achieve 86% approx. too! GOSH!! i hate this..

dp624

HSC
yeah i agree i'd go burn the teacher in a fire or similar
no, not really; i'm pretty sure you could go to the principal or something

at least it's only yr11

M

midnightpen

what an ass of a teacher. go take it up to the head of maths or something, what she did isn't fair and it was stupid too ==

angelarticulate

HSC
Go to your coordinator or principal. I would cause like that is just totally unfair, even if it is only year 11, you should get the marks you deserve and like you said it was beyond your controll so the coordinator or principal will be on your side. Year 11 is still a competitive year so go for it. :)

dux&src

HSC
what an ass of a teacher. go take it up to the head of maths or something, what she did isn't fair and it was stupid too ==
totally!

Go to your coordinator or principal. I would cause like that is just totally unfair, even if it is only year 11, you should get the marks you deserve and like you said it was beyond your controll so the coordinator or principal will be on your side. Year 11 is still a competitive year so go for it. :)
...i'll see my teacher again, to see if she reconsiders but if not then i'm back to square one..
although seeing the coordinator or head of maths would be a good idea ..i just don't know if it will work out...plus i don't wanna ruin my relationship with my maths teacher....:confused::(

dux&src

HSC
My teacher did that in Year 10.
right, but my situation is different it's not that i was ranked first ...but it's because she won't allow the students involved with the leadership program to sit the test!!!:burn:
so not fair! now i pretty much keep the first mark i get while the others are all happy with their improved marks...hmph

M

midnightpen

you should get the group of people involved with that leadership program to confront the teacher. like, maths isn't a subjective subject so even if she dislikes you afterwards (in which she should have no reason to because she was in the wrong ), she can't give you a crap mark for tests or whatever cause theres is a right/wrong answer in maths, unlike english. plus, if you have a group of people, she can't pick on you in class :)

keymort

HSC
take it easy you little nerd, just because you didnt come first, its yr11 and doesnt even count
Dude that was a pointlessly mean put-down. Why even say anything if you're just going to be critical.

Moving on, there is actually a system in place and a protocol your school has to follow that our school principal explained to our year. First, go to the head teacher of that group and explain what's happened, and they probably will do something about it, because they're required to, and if not, go to the school principal and he/she will step in. If not, call the district education minister, then the department of education lol.
I agree with you, it's kinda screwy that that happened. Be glad it doesn't affect your HSC though. If it did, I seriously would chase it all the way to the DET. As it stands, just go to the head-teacher tommorow and see if you can get it all sorted out.

AnandDNA

HSC
thats really unfair. Try talking to the maths coordinator or year coordinator and tell them that your marks have been judged upon two entirely different exams. but otherwise if you have the capability of coming first you should end up coming first from the upcoming assessments

dux&src

HSC
Moving on, there is actually a system in place and a protocol your school has to follow that our school principal explained to our year. First, go to the head teacher of that group and explain what's happened, and they probably will do something about it, because they're required to, and if not, go to the school principal and he/she will step in. If not, call the district education minister, then the department of education lol.
I agree with you, it's kinda screwy that that happened. Be glad it doesn't affect your HSC though. If it did, I seriously would chase it all the way to the DET. As it stands, just go to the head-teacher tommorow and see if you can get it all sorted out.
Omg thanks so much, i knew there was a system in place. Yeah, it's the only thing keeping me from blowing my head off knowing it won't affect the HSC.

thats really unfair. Try talking to the maths coordinator or year coordinator and tell them that your marks have been judged upon two entirely different exams. but otherwise if you have the capability of coming first you should end up coming first from the upcoming assessments
You are spot on! the class marks are being judged on two entirely different exams.
Mine and 6 other students' marks being from the first exam which everyone in our class would agree was the more difficult of the two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)