Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor? (1 Viewer)

melonkitten

HSC
Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

do note however: regardless of whether or not you have a tutor, you WILL stumble and fall many times throughout the course.

Just.Snaz

HSC

melonkitten said:
do note however: regardless of whether or not you have a tutor, you WILL stumble and fall many times throughout the course.
very true

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC

+1

the hsc is about working hard, that's it. no matter how much motivation and genius you have in you, someone who works hard will either equal or be better than you. i do 4U and after 1st assessment i realised the level of time and work needed to do well in the subject. i was around 50th/65 students after one test and then i got 2nd best mark in the 2nd assessment test where i did like 10 hrs of maths a week compared to like 3 hrs of every other subject. its easily possible to do well in 4U without a tutor but you need motivation and belief in your own abilities as well as having a good teacher and resources. one reason why i would get a tutor is for the great resources that they have, but atm there are plenty of textbooks and past papers at libraries and on the net (i think its in another thread).

- J

melonkitten

HSC

The top students are the ones who 'get back up after falling'

also be prepared for questions that requrire 10-12 lines of working, or more.

quite the difference from your average 3u question.

i foudn it difficult to continue not knowing whether or not i had made a silly mistake somewhere near the start, and hence would never be ablet o find the correct answer (really sux in a long Q) :shy:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

^^ Agreed.

4unit isn't that much harder than 3unit, but it is harder in terms of the amount of algebra and the amount of abstract thinking required.

Still, fun nonetheless :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

jkwii said:
+1

the hsc is about working hard, that's it. no matter how much motivation and genius you have in you, someone who works hard will either equal or be better than you. i do 4U and after 1st assessment i realised the level of time and work needed to do well in the subject. i was around 50th/65 students after one test and then i got 2nd best mark in the 2nd assessment test where i did like 10 hrs of maths a week compared to like 3 hrs of every other subject. its easily possible to do well in 4U without a tutor but you need motivation and belief in your own abilities as well as having a good teacher and resources. one reason why i would get a tutor is for the great resources that they have, but atm there are plenty of textbooks and past papers at libraries and on the net (i think its in another thread).

- J
You have 65 people in your year doing 4 unit?:jaw:

At my school we have two

EDIT: I just realised you go to NSBHS. That explains it

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

midifile said:
You have 65 people in your year doing 4 unit?:jaw:

At my school we have two

EDIT: I just realised you go to NSBHS. That explains it
SBHS has 110ish people

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
I recommend that you don't do tutoring. I've been doing tutoring since I started 4 unit maths, and the only redeeming factor is getting past papers from other schools (eg JRAHS and CSSA) that I don't know how to find elsewhere, and the help I can get on weekends, or the day before the test, and 3 hour study sessions before major exams (but I don't think normal tutors do that, my tutor is my best friend's mother so I get large discounts).

If you're willing to give up lunch times, you can go bother your teacher about questions you can't do. Ext 2 is a lot of self learning, your teacher will probably go through the theory, and you'll have to spend about an hour or two after each lesson going through questions related to the theory to reinforce the theory. When it comes around to exam times, I've found that worked solutions are your best friend.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
My response is bascially the same as everyone elses The need for a tutor really depends on the individual. If they play games at home instead of doing homework then they're better off with a tutor as it forces them to do work; whereas on the other hand, if you can do more work at home then in a group environment then stay at home!

I'm against tutoring, and I hate my parents for forcing me to go from Year 7 to half of Year 12. Their concept, like of many Asian parents, is flawed; they believe in "the more tutoring you go to, the higher UAI you would get; and without tutor, you would fail"; and from my experience, I've been getting decent marks without the need of a tutor. The only good thing I can think of having a tutor is that they provide you with resources such as past papers. Then again, you can always download them online and print them off yourself

So my advice, try going without a tutor first. If you get decent marks then good! If not, then either push yourself further and harder, or get a tutor to help you

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Why do you think tutoring is a waste of time?
Is it a waste of time to have a 1 on one lesson at home?
It is like having a teacher at home to help you

i think you meant waste of MONEY!

please do not dis tutors :burn: (although im not one)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

tommykins said:
You hurt our feelings.
:( sorry tommy

...but I dont really get how I hurt your feelings. It's not like I beat you (unless you secretly go to my school but are so ashamed of the fact you do that you wont admit it)

cccclaire

HSC
midifile said:
Yep me too. In my both my 4 unit class (although there are only 2 people) and my 3 unit class (like 7 people), I am the only one who has never had maths tutoring, and im coming first in both of them.

It does take a lot of hard work, but if feels heaps good when you beat all the people who are tutored.
ok whatever meek.
I've had one tutoring lesson, and you're loads smarter than me anyway, so really, beating me isn't exactly that much of an achievement.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

midifile said:
:( sorry tommy

...but I dont really get how I hurt your feelings. It's not like I beat you (unless you secretly go to my school but are so ashamed of the fact you do that you wont admit it)
Bingo.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cccclaire said:
ok whatever meek.
I've had one tutoring lesson, and you're loads smarter than me anyway, so really, beating me isn't exactly that much of an achievement.
Yea, but we'll see what happens in the trials when your all like "I totally get motion" and i'm all like 'Circular whattion?"

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

tommykins said:
Lol... would only work if you were cccclaire. I'm pretty sure your not (or at least I hope your not becasue that would be really strange)

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Why do you think tutoring is a waste of time?
Is it a waste of time to have a 1 on one lesson at home?
It is like having a teacher at home to help you

i think you meant waste of MONEY!
I hope you realise sooner or later that time is precious too

melonkitten

HSC

midifile said:
Lol... would only work if you were cccclaire. I'm pretty sure your not (or at least I hope your not becasue that would be really strange)
he is crying.

you uncovered his secret identity

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Tutors aren't bad, they are meant primarily for underachieving students in order to help them get better marks. My point is, students doing four unit maths shouldn't be 'underachieving', hence they shouldn't need tutors.

cccclaire

HSC
lol wut?

am i secretly a guy? sweet.

midifile said:
Yea, but we'll see what happens in the trials when your all like "I totally get motion" and i'm all like 'Circular whattion?"
"totally get" is just a way of me saying, "i'm not as useless as I was at it before, which was ridiculously usless", you'll still get >90% and I'll get a 70ish mark hopefully.

Js^-1 said:
Tutors aren't bad, they are meant primarily for underachieving students in order to help them get better marks. My point is, students doing four unit maths shouldn't be 'underachieving', hence they shouldn't need tutors.
that's stupid. Are we supposed to immediately understand every concept in 4 unit maths, one of the hardest subjects you can possibly do? Obviously there are some hard concepts, and I think its perfectly acceptable to get a tutor to help.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cccclaire said:
lol wut?

am i secretly a guy? sweet.

"totally get" is just a way of me saying, "i'm not as useless as I was at it before, which was ridiculously usless", you'll still get >90% and I'll get a 70ish mark hopefully.

that's stupid. Are we supposed to immediately understand every concept in 4 unit maths, one of the hardest subjects you can possibly do? Obviously there are some hard concepts, and I think its perfectly acceptable to get a tutor to help.
Lol. as if i'm gonna get more than 90%
I highly doubt it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)