Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor? (1 Viewer)

duy.le

HSC
Look, after reading all of the post i can sense a strong dislike for tutors. ok, u do have a point. Its not necessary for someone to go to tutor to ace 4 unit. I know that very well as the guy that is coming first learnt the whole course on his own, but with that being said i dont believe that going to tutor necessarily mean that your an "underacheiver" as i am come second and ive been going to tutor for 6 years now. Its a place where you meet new people, socialize and learn new methods and question you've never seen before. And if your lucky enough to find a good tutor your greatly advantaging your self, my one is nice, funny, has loads of experience teaching and has helped me reach a potential i wouldnt of dreamed of before. (in year 7 i was a very stupid kid, i have to admit, didnt know anything about maths. but over the years my marks constantly improved, now i perform really well in both my 3 and 4 unit; both band 6, no gloating intended)

But overall im just saying, look give tutor a chance. BUT if you believe that take on the 4 unit course by yourself then by all means. GOODLUCK. (no sarcasm)

One and a bit month to go people. Practice makes perfect. please excuse bad grammar/spelling if applicable.

Last edited:

kony

HSC
"Possible" is a misleading word. Sure, it's possible. There are geniuses out there who didn't do tutoring.

But if you're not a complete natural at it? Then probably no, it's not possible.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Gah anything is possible. Tutors are obviously on the side of people going to tutoring, for obvious reasons. I'm not anti-tutor, at least not for normal subects. For the elite subjects though, such as extension 2 maths, you shouldn't need a tutor. If you do, you probably shouldn't be doing four unit.

doink

Clone
HSC
however well you do without a tutor it will always be less than how you would do with a tutor. And if u think about it what you can accomplish in 1 hour of tutoring may save you 2-3 hours of stressing and frustration trying to accomplish.

cccclaire

HSC
midifile said:
Lol. as if i'm gonna get more than 90%
I highly doubt it
you haven't gotten anything less than 93% this whole year you freak

Js^-1 said:
Gah anything is possible. Tutors are obviously on the side of people going to tutoring, for obvious reasons. I'm not anti-tutor, at least not for normal subects. For the elite subjects though, such as extension 2 maths, you shouldn't need a tutor. If you do, you probably shouldn't be doing four unit.
You're an idiot.

P

pLuvia

Js^-1 said:
Where's the logic in your statement?

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Is it possible to do well if Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

bawd said:
I like Maths when I am drumming away at a difficult question, and cannot seem to answer it. Then when it finally hits me, it's like a big HALLELUJAH and it makes me happy, lol.
You will love conics questions, maybe even mechanics

Anyway, no need for tutor. I bombed year 11 with a tutor, but doing decent in year 12 without one. It was my motivation.

Affinity

HSC
doink said:
however well you do without a tutor it will always be less than how you would do with a tutor. And if u think about it what you can accomplish in 1 hour of tutoring may save you 2-3 hours of stressing and frustration trying to accomplish.
Lies. The whole point is to go through the stress so one actually starts thinking

duy.le

HSC
namburger how did u bomb year 11 with coming second??? now that is lies. or was it...

but really tutor is something you should decide for your self, whether or not it floats your boat.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
ChockoRepublic said:
My brother did Ext 2 Maths without a second of tutoring, and he got a band 6. So yeah, tutoring does not necessarily = top band.
can you get band 6 in ext 2?

I think not.

Js^-1 said:
Your seeking advice from people like this?

Honestly.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Js^-1 said:
Haha I can't wait until people with tutoring beat your ass and you'll blame it on their "tutoring".

doink

Clone
HSC
Affinity said:
Lies. The whole point is to go through the stress so one actually starts thinking
Well then just dont study for any exams and let the stress of your impending failure quicken your learning exponentially.

samwell

HSC
Re: Is it possible to do well in Maths Extension 2 without a tutor?

depends on u. its very possible to do ext 2 without tutor but if u dont seem to work as well without one its a good idea to get one. I think the answer to ua question is YES.

aaron1097

HSC
im apparently doing the best in ext.2 math of any student either of the ext.2 teachers at my skool have ever tought. I do not have a tutor. The only thing u need 2 b doing 2 go well in ext.2 maths is do past questions, your teacher will have heaps of those, n theres heaps of books full of ext.2 questions. A tutor is just a waste of money for ext.2 cas u only really need one if u dnt understand the concepts, n if u dnt understand the concepts, u shouldnt b in ext.2

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
This is absolutely ridiculous, you don't need a tutor to do well in Mathematics Extension 2!

I wouldn't even think for a second that I am a gifted student, and not meaning to gloat, but i, in year 8 (last year), could do most of the HSC advanced maths course. Yes, i sound up myself, and really snobby, but I just go to a public high school.

In the whole of primary school I was pretty much the bottom of my class for all of my subjects! I would be in the middle of my class for maths in year 7! But in year 8, I discovered a passion for mathematics. And because of this, I decided to just do maths, night after night i would do questions out of the textbook.

What I am trying to say is that you don't have to be gifted in anyway to achieve as much as a gifted person would. You dont need a tutor, you just need to find the will to continually practice, again and again untill you can answer any question that Extension 2 throws at you. It is for this reason that you dont need a tutor, just try hard and applicate yourself.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
haha thats awesome man, wish my passion would come back
Yeh, my passion had a little bit of a road block due to some of these stupid rural alleged 'maths' teachers. But im trying to recover from this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)