Is it too late to change subjects? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
You must do at least 100 hours per year of your subject. BOS requirement.

PaintItBlack

HSC
You must do at least 100 hours per year of your subject. BOS requirement.
Yeah, I know =(. Do the hours have to be supervised? Or could I take work home to do? Could I somehow cram half a year's hours into a couple of weeks?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is toooooo late, like already half way thru year 11 (Only lasts for 3 terms remember)

But your school could let you if you beg, and get your parents into it, etc..........

anywho Good Luck!

random-1005

Banned
HSC
My school still let kids who were failing 2 unit maths drop to General after the Half Yearlies, so I see no reason why you're school will refuse you. As for taking the exam, why don't you just suggest to you're teachers to change the numbers in the numerical exam questions as around 50% of the exam should just be maths based( or at least they're in my school). I don't think that you'll be able to do much with the theory questions though.

from the subjects you have in signature dragonmaster you ARE meant to be somewhat intelligent. going from 2 unit to general is completely different from going from french to physics.

general is very easy (the assumed knowledge) of 2 unit so dropping down makes no difference. whereas french and physics are different subs all together

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know =(. Do the hours have to be supervised? Or could I take work home to do? Could I somehow cram half a year's hours into a couple of weeks?
Im pretty damn sure, otherwise some people would study eight hours of physics at home and not come to school classes for a week.

in order to fulfil your hour quota, your teacher might even have to make you take after school lessons and lunchtime lessons. right now you're so far into the year that that'll probably by 30 or 45 hours (im not sure how your school operates). i think its highly unlikely your physics teacher is going to do that, unless he's an awesome dude and you're a very enthusiastic and promising student.

i hope that doesn't get you down. there is probably a glimmer of opportunity for you to change, but i cant think of any for you.

if you want, you could just keep french and do your own stuff during lessons. you could learn physics in your spare time, if you like it that much. of course, you probably want the better scaling from physics.

i was in a similar situation. i wanted to switch from biology to D&T, but the school refused despite me being amongst the top rankers.

anyway, good luck mate, tell us if you have any ideas or if you got through.

PaintItBlack

HSC
in order to fulfil your hour quota, your teacher might even have to make you take after school lessons and lunchtime lessons. right now you're so far into the year that that'll probably by 30 or 45 hours (im not sure how your school operates). i think its highly unlikely your physics teacher is going to do that, unless he's an awesome dude and you're a very enthusiastic and promising student.
Nah, I'm hardly promising, and I've never come across such a teacher as you've described. But maybe it'll happen... Maybe...

i hope that doesn't get you down. there is probably a glimmer of opportunity for you to change, but i cant think of any for you.

if you want, you could just keep french and do your own stuff during lessons. you could learn physics in your spare time, if you like it that much. of course, you probably want the better scaling from physics.

i was in a similar situation. i wanted to switch from biology to D&T, but the school refused despite me being amongst the top rankers.
Yeah, I'd want the scaling, but its more about liking the actual subject, and wanting to do 12 units. If I keep French, it would be useless as a backup (which is the point of doing 12 units, I think).

anyway, good luck mate, tell us if you have any ideas or if you got through.
Yep thanks. I'll keep you all posted. =).

PaintItBlack

HSC
I am currently in yr. 12 and i too swaped a subject in the middle of yr. 11 last year and it worked wonderfully for me
it not always hard to catch up
people in my school have dropped down in maths to general half way through maths and are doing wonerfully

so i think you should talk to your subject coordinator or sumfin and swap if thats what you want to do
Which subject did you swap into? And from what?

Yeah, I'll try on Monday, but I don't know if it's "legal", because of the whole "thalt must do [insert number] hours".

And yeah, catching up isn't an issue.

Lukybear

HSC
Na its not too late. But youve probably gota speak to the principal, because its quite late.

From memory, i think it was 120hours that you had to do. But really, from what my chem teacher tells me, you can be a "external student" who does the course at school.

I also think that mabey, you can do the prelim course out of school and join in the class with the HSC. Im not sure about that one tho.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Can you tell us more about being a 'external student'? Sounds promising.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
Considering you can't get tested on the prelim course in the HSC I don't see why you couldn't change.
If you're a student who changes schools for year 12 and not all your subjects are offered then you have to be able to choose different ones, why not for someone else?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
from the subjects you have in signature dragonmaster you ARE meant to be somewhat intelligent. going from 2 unit to general is completely different from going from french to physics.

general is very easy (the assume knowledge) of 2 unit so dropping down makes no difference. whereas french and physics are different subs all together
Things are done differently in my school. There a lot of kids in my school who do 2 unit maths without the assumed knowledge from General. General is actually like a totally different course for them.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Things are done differently in my school. There a lot of kids in my school who do 2 unit maths without the assumed knowledge from General. General is actually like a totally different course for them.
so your school is full of idiots, which school is it?

Gunner4lyfe

HSC
its not too late at alll lol...i changed subs ..in like ...the last term...2 weeks in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)