Is it too late to change subjects? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
so your school is full of idiots, which school is it?
I don't think your mentality is neccesarily correct. I do three unit maths and would fail in General because i am poor at remembering practical applications.

PaintItBlack

HSC
I swapped from physics to software which was distance ed. (not taught in my school) and i was very happy
its wasnt really that much of an issue to catch up
And i dint do it illigally as BOS knew about it and stuff

yu might need to catch up on assignments and stuff depending on subject ur changing to
How did you contact BOS? Do they generally give cases like this the go-ahead?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The BOS has approved, at my school, at student changing subjects at the end of Year 11 so long as the Principal was prepared to sign off and say that student had met the outcomes of the Preliminary course.

That entailed doing the Assessment tasks for the Preliminary course during the break between the end of Term 3 and start of Term 4 (Term 1 of actually Year 12 study).

The hours are classed as 'indicative' not minimum or mandatory.

Last year I wouldn't have gone close to 120 hours in Modern History due to the number of times I lost my double period on a Friday (short double to start with 70 minutes rather than 100 and then often shorter still due to Assembly overruns, public holidays, end of term activities and other school activities). As all the students met some of the outcomes of the course they went through, did their HSC and did reasonably well.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You can talk to the KLA coordinator, but I speak with my Curriculum coordinator all the time... (not to change subjects but because of the whole acceleration thing). A few of my friends have changed subjects during the year if they could put forward a good case and also if the teacher liked them ^_^... all they have to do is change it on the computer and then submit it to the BOS and then it will be updated for them.

PaintItBlack

HSC
The BOS has approved, at my school, at student changing subjects at the end of Year 11 so long as the Principal was prepared to sign off and say that student had met the outcomes of the Preliminary course.

That entailed doing the Assessment tasks for the Preliminary course during the break between the end of Term 3 and start of Term 4 (Term 1 of actually Year 12 study).
Did the student(s) physically have to be at school for the assessment tasks?

PaintItBlack

HSC
You can talk to the KLA coordinator, but I speak with my Curriculum coordinator all the time... (not to change subjects but because of the whole acceleration thing). A few of my friends have changed subjects during the year if they could put forward a good case and also if the teacher liked them ^_^... all they have to do is change it on the computer and then submit it to the BOS and then it will be updated for them.
How far into the year did they ask to change?

stars12

HSC
Thee best thing to do is discuss the matter wif the Principal or Curriculum co-ordinator. Noone else has the authority to decline your entry or swap into any class of your choosing.

If they say 'its to late' or simply 'no', you should make an appointment with your parents or just use the following line....
"In accordance to the Board of Studies I am entitled to select MY HSC subjects....'' etc.. or makee something along those lines up :) they get scaredd trust me.

I dnt look or sound like an intelligent girl or a ''smart student'' but you'd be surprised. Ive changed my subjects three times to date and now am considering my fourth change.

soo dw :):D ull b alritee.
butt physicss iss hardd :$ or thats wat I heard.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Did the student(s) physically have to be at school for the assessment tasks?
No.

They took them home, did them and then submitted them, including the exams.

They weren't of course included in any Year 11 ranks but they achieved some of the outcomes of the Preliminary course and so were eligible to move into the Year 12 course.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ranks in the preliminary year mean nothing anyway, it's just so you can adjust to the competitive nature and is a way to get students to start pushing each other to bring everyone's marks higher in the survival of the fittest - man eat man death race known as the Higher School Certificate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)