Is Maths extension 2 hard? (2 Viewers)

MJ_98

HSC
I'm in year 11 and doing 3 unit maths.
I'm not sure if I should do 4unit maths in year 12 because my teacher said that ext 2 maths is very very hard and a lot of work.
I'm coming first in my maths class, and find mathematics easy and maths ext 1 alright.
I struggle with geometry a lot such as circle theorems.
Is maths ext 2 really really hard compared to ext1??
And is there a lot of geometry stuff?

astroman

HSC
I've created this to hopefully stem the flow of "I'm in year 11, should I do 4u?" threads that have been coming into this forum of late.

Points to note:

1. Your 3u marks should be up around 70%. This is by no means set in stone, because of varying test difficulties etc, but if, for example, you're getting 40% in 3u I'd strongly advise you against 4u.
2. You should love maths. Nothing else, unless you are extremely talented, will give you enough motivation to get through this course.
3. You must be prepared to give a substantial amount of your study time to 4u (50+% of your study time should go to 3 and 4u study).
4. If your teacher says you're not 4u material, they're probably right.
5. If you can't get through the course without spending $100 a week on tutoring, don't do it.

FAQ
Is 4u hard?
Yes.
Is it rewarding?
Yes.
Will I have to have early morning/late afternoon classes?
Depends on your school, but if you're at a selective school or a school with a lot of people then probably not.
Does 4u scale well?
Only if you work hard. Doing a subject just for the scaling is never a good idea.

If anyone wants to suggest anything else to add to this thread just post it underneath.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/14/mathematics-extension-2/75261/if-you-year-11-read-first.html

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
srs give it a go, if you're 1st goes to show you're capable and if you like it why not

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
His right. You need to be proficient at MX1, in ALL topics, in order to pursue MX2. MX2 has harder circle geo, so if u can't do the MX1 questions then you stand no chance in MX2.
Sorry if that sounded harsh

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
"Hard" is a subjective term and hence the answer to "Is Maths extension 2 hard" will vary from person to person.

His right. You need to be proficient at MX1, in ALL topics, in order to pursue MX2. MX2 has harder circle geo, so if u can't do the MX1 questions then you stand no chance in MX2.
Sorry if that sounded harsh

Drsoccerball was saying 'no', as in, it's not hard lol.

Kaido

be.
HSC
I dont think you have to love maths or spend more than 50% of your study time to do 4U
So long as you pull like a solid 60-70%, your gonna get a mark of at least 90+ which is E4

nancylime

HSC
Personally I find it no harder than 3u - if you put the work in, the concepts are really fun and encourage you to think in different ways. It has also boosted my 3 unit marks significantly. I did 3u last year accelerated and got 40/50 (being ranked 15/45) and at the moment I am ranked 2/47. I think this is due to developing my maths skills in 4u, because to be honest I don't spend a huge amount of time on 3u revision :) DO IT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)