Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
WannaBang? said:
I'm asking because I want to do a degree in Economics and Law and I'm more than certain I won't reach the requirements of USyd or UNSW.
a guy is used to work for my brother (yes he's solicitor with his own business) completed his degree in Law and Accounting @ UWS.

trickx

HSC
If I acheived a UAI of 91.95, what average mark is required of me to transfer out of UWS Law and into ... say Macquarie Law after my first semester?

peter2

Banned
HSC
Mac isn't too much better in my opinion as I go there. You cannot transfer mid year as they do not offer Law midyear. They only offer it at the start of each year. To be honest, I found that Law at UWS was much easier to obtain better grades as it is a fuckking bitch to obtain good marks at MAC as your marks throughout the semester NEVER correspond to your final grade you receive at the end. They bring down all students marks for whatever reason. But at UWS the marking and grading is much more fairer and thus, give out much better marks than MAC. For example, at MAC I handed in one of my Contracts assignment and only obtained 13/20 (I initially obtained 10/20 since my teacher was a fucking moron and missed out on a whole valuable paragraph) when a friend handed in almost the same assignment at UWS and obtained around 75-80%. The assignment question was very similar and had involved very similar facts. Anyways do whatever you like. Hope this gave you some insight into what you want to do

trickx

HSC
peter2 said:
Mac isn't too much better in my opinion as I go there. You cannot transfer mid year as they do not offer Law midyear. They only offer it at the start of each year. To be honest, I found that Law at UWS was much easier to obtain better grades as it is a fuckking bitch to obtain good marks at MAC as your marks throughout the semester NEVER correspond to your final grade you receive at the end. They bring down all students marks for whatever reason. But at UWS the marking and grading is much more fairer and thus, give out much better marks than MAC. For example, at MAC I handed in one of my Contracts assignment and only obtained 13/20 (I initially obtained 10/20 since my teacher was a fucking moron and missed out on a whole valuable paragraph) when a friend handed in almost the same assignment at UWS and obtained around 75-80%. The assignment question was very similar and had involved very similar facts. Anyways do whatever you like. Hope this gave you some insight into what you want to do
So you transferred out of UWS and into UMAQ? How hard was it to do that? Where were you with respect to other UWS first years in terms of marks?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
trickx said:
If I acheived a UAI of 91.95, what average mark is required of me to transfer out of UWS Law and into ... say Macquarie Law after my first semester?
Credit average, maybe a bit more. I had a UAI of 94.0 and had a bit over a credit average (GPA 5.125 I think). I know people who got in with around a 90 uai and credit average...No one actually knows exactly what you need, but your UAI being over 90 helps a fair bit...that said make sure you work hard and get a good GPA

trickx

HSC
Thanks melsc!

I was wondering ...
What's the social scene like at UWS? Is it mostly faculty groups, racial groups and so on ??

I hope there are decent looking girls there too lol.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Isn't UWS getting better bcos of the med course and the fact they're about to get pharm and physio?
But I'm not going there anyways.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
it feels like UWS law is there purely for people who did not get the UAI to go to UNSW and MacU etc

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Pretty much ^

trickx said:
Thanks melsc!

I was wondering ...
What's the social scene like at UWS? Is it mostly faculty groups, racial groups and so on ??

I hope there are decent looking girls there too lol.
Almost non-existant. It's all up to you to make friends, etc.

The only strong faculty groups are the med soc and law assoc. Other fac groups are fledgeling.

Also many nursing are in a 'group' of their own.

No UWS is not receiving Pharm or Physio anytime soon.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Their design course isn't too bad, shame its in Penrith...

cowamooners

HSC
Did anyone else get offered a $20,000 scholarship (excellence academic) for the university of Western Sydney? Over a peroid of 4 years?

I only got 92.95 and had UWS as my 3rd preference- Bachlor of Advanced Science.

Declined it, because i simply do not want to go to this university.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Then why bother putting it into your preferences?

cxlxoxk

HSC
cowamooners said:
Did anyone else get offered a $20,000 scholarship (excellence academic) for the university of Western Sydney? Over a peroid of 4 years?

You are supposed to accept all offers, even if you don't really like it, if you don't you could end up with no offer :S.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
^^^
if they hand you a cheque for $20k, take it & and do a runner ie. transfer to a different uni.

lionking1191

HSC
cowamooners said:

hm how did they notify you?

and it's 5k a year over 4 years so you can't do a runner unfortunately.. 20K is far from enough for a degree at UWS i reckon..

Poad

HSC
I got a scholarship from UWS when:
a) I didn't apply for the scholarship itself
b) I didn't have UWS on my preferences

MJ-47

HSC
My Sister recieved this offer for twenty grand to do a Medicine Course with UWS. she is really excited by it but in my opinion I feel sorry for her as i see it as little more than a bribe.

This is because my sis has the potential to reach a UAI of over a 100
which implies that she could get into a university with a high reputation for excellence as well as a first rate education and hands on experience. this would be at USYD and UNSW

But now she feels compelled to go to UWS cause they are forcing money down her throat.

I also understand that many graduates at UWS have real trouble finding work early in their career and that it isn't until they recieve more experience and recomendations that they are considered for higher positions where as UNSW or USYD applicants find few obstacles standing in their paths

If any1 has any advice about my sis please post.
thks

Last edited:

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
MJ-47 said:
I also understand that many graduates of medicine at UWS have real trouble finding work early in their career and that it isn't until they recieve more experience and recomendations that they are considered for higher positions where as UNSW or USYD applicants find few obstacles standing in their paths

If any1 has any advice about my sis please post.
thks

are you fucken stupid? how many years has med been at UWS? there hasnt even been any med graduates from UWS yet.

and all med students start off at the same level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)