• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

It's that time of semester... (1 Viewer)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
These big-percentage finals always suck. No idea why they haven't erased that concept. That'd be something we can be proud of; first uni to no longer have stupidly fat finals.

p__D

HSC
N/A
I've been running on about 5-6 hours of sleep a night (I really need 9-10) for the past few weeks, mostly for vocal studies. Ideally this only needs to go on for a week or two more, then I am done...!

End note: Music students are insane. The courses are thrilling, but there's significant room for structural/pace improvements.

X

xeuyrawp

P_Dilemma said:
These big-percentage finals always suck. No idea why they haven't erased that concept. That'd be something we can be proud of; first uni to no longer have stupidly fat finals.

p__D
Yeah. Or even scrap assessments altogether!?!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Also pwar finished super early last semester, if I remember correctly, and he felt sorry for no one, so I wouldn't be feeling sorry for him ;) :p

X

xeuyrawp

I don't like any of you anymore. :(

I finished early because none of my subjects had exams in the exam period, and I finished on like a Wednesday or something. :-/

But I had to go to Egypt the next week!

And lol at Lenny.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah. Lol, they need a reality check.

I've got a 100% essay due the end of this semester. :-/
100% weighted take-home that is only given 24hrs to do with full referencing, and if its an minute late - immediate zero. Plus its a pre-req for the second semester subject which if u cant do next semester screws your law program up majorly!

I've got:
6th June - International Law Final essay - 3000 words
11th June - Property Law take home exam
16th June - Constitutional Law final essay - 200 words

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
100% weighted take-home that is only given 24hrs to do with full referencing, and if its an minute late - immediate zero. Plus its a pre-req for the second semester subject which if u cant do next semester screws your law program up majorly!
That's horrible - which subject is that? That really goes against some of the Senate suggestions for assessments.

maka

HSC
The subject is Property and Equity in 1.

The rationale behind the 100% exam is that the Dean of Law is promoting some new workload model for staff and his advice was that the best assessment format was the 100% exam.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
The Dean is whacked. I cant believe thats what they've done to Property. It was bad enough when it was back the way it used to be 2 years ago. That is just insane. It doesn't encourage learning at all; it encourages rote learning, so you can just forget it as soon as you've handed in the work. Thats it. And full referencing? Awful :headbang:

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
The Dean is whacked. :headbang:
It's so strange. He must be something like 30 and he's a full Professor and the head of a division. Has done a few degrees, finished with a PhD at Macquarie, did half a year of admin at the shitty MQ City campus, published prolifically and is now put in charge of a division. :-/

And boy, what a sleazy jerk if I've ever met one.

rwc

HSC
MaryJane said:
It doesn't encourage learning at all; it encourages rote learning
exactly, i had hope that rote learning would end with high school

Tabris

HSC
Theres the division of law and theres the department of public law. According to my labor law convenor. Division of law became a black letter law sausage factory and theres only 1 or 2 lecturers in public law who didnt want a black letter law sausage factory.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/AltLJ/1999/7.html

In other words, regurgitate the law not critique it and analyse its contextual background.

X

xeuyrawp

DarrylKerrigan said:
Who.....him??

Prof. Tyrone Carlin
LLB (Hons) (Syd), BCom (UNSW), Grad Dip Fin (ASIA), LLM (Hons) (Syd), MCom (Hons) (UNSW), PhD (Macq), FFin, CA, CPA, MFP
Dean, Division of Law, Macquarie Uni

What a fucking title whore!! ROFL@ CPA, CA AND FFin (sure you've got enough ??)
I know - LLB(Hons) + BCom (not concurrently) = at least 6 years
GradDipFin (how long?),
LLM (Hons) = a year I assume?
MCom (Hons) = also a year
PhD = let's say he was speedy and did it in 3 years.
+ all those qualifications.

I assume he did some at the same time and likes to study, but seriously... :-/

Although I would usually never judge someone like that, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. :p I was talking with him at a stupid F. Arts thing with one of my lecturers, and we were both pretty unimpressed with his attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I hear Arts is getting someone for UWS for dean :O

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
.... gtfo.
Stalling for money apparently, which has brought Mitchell Dean back into the fold, but we'll have to see (Mitch is insulted by this I think).

HSC
N/A
it's 8:30pm, and I'm still having some issues writing the bridge to a song. The rest is done. Heck, the rest is even transposed one semitone up, and I've practiced enough that I can play it.

I'm watching Youtube videos in the hope that it gets my creativity going :/ I don't quite understand why I'm so stuck...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)