james ruse (1 Viewer)

B

Bambul

Everyone excpet for the principal, he wishes that he never existed. It goes against the whole idea of doing well in high school and going to uni which he promotes so much. He mentions Dr Catrina Warren at every occassion possible though. The prefects managed to sneak Jabba into a prefect assembly one year, normally we have past school captains or ex-students who are now officers in the army or great scientists or whatever, not someone who bumbed their HSC and is now on national television.

You had to do Ag up until year 11 (accelerated, so you did your HSC in year 11) until 2000. For my year they made it optional for year 11 because of the change in the HSC. The school did a survey of what we would do if agriculture was and wasn't compulsory. They found that if it wasn't compulsory, the 30 or so students (plus the 25 new people) that chose not to do it chose primarily humanities (which used to be compulsory in the hold HSC) so that some subjects like drama or languages now had enough people doing them. So if agriculture was kept compulsory we would lose the option to do a lot of those subjects.

But agriculture is compulsory up until year 10 for everyone.

Twintip

I'd love to go to a selective school simply because it would probably raise my UAI. Not through better teaching or anything, but through the fact that the rest of the year does well too, aiding the scaling of your school.

mmhmm

in the long run i think non-selective schools are still good considering that in a selective school u r most likely to have low self-esteem which will not always help ur performance and the scaling wont help that much!

Twintip

I don't think that really had an effect, as is shown in evidence from this years' HSC. Selective schools do better. No one can deny that. All this self-esteem stuff is BS in my opinion. I don't buy it for a second. It wouldn't affect someones mark (the proof is there too in the results).

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
Everyone excpet for the principal, he wishes that he never existed. It goes against the whole idea of doing well in high school and going to uni which he promotes so much. He mentions Dr Catrina Warren at every occassion possible though. The prefects managed to sneak Jabba into a prefect assembly one year, normally we have past school captains or ex-students who are now officers in the army or great scientists or whatever, not someone who bumbed their HSC and is now on national television. [/QB]

Haha, I suppose the mooning stunt he pulled at the BDO wasn't repeated? :D
[QB]
You had to do Ag up until year 11 (accelerated, so you did your HSC in year 11) until 2000. For my year they made it optional for year 11 because of the change in the HSC. The school did a survey of what we would do if agriculture was and wasn't compulsory. They found that if it wasn't compulsory, the 30 or so students (plus the 25 new people) that chose not to do it chose primarily humanities (which used to be compulsory in the hold HSC) so that some subjects like drama or languages now had enough people doing them. So if agriculture was kept compulsory we would lose the option to do a lot of those subjects.

Interesting idea :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by mmhmm
in the long run i think non-selective schools are still good considering that in a selective school u r most likely to have low self-esteem which will not always help ur performance and the scaling wont help that much!
I don't think you can generalise about self-esteem. It is so dependent on personality you have to make an individual judgement.

Grammar has the interesting arrangement of partial selectivity. Quite a few people enter in year 7 through the scholarship and entrance programs. But there are also many who got in in kindergarten by applying first. I suspect some of these people get discouraged by the large gap in ability and just give up trying. By the time they start to realise that they do need to work, say in year 11, it's too late. Animosity towards the streamed class people does not help either.

pri

HSC
N/A
. So James Ruse isn't a selective school, technically speaking. At the time there were only 6 selective schools (Sydney and North Sydney Boys/Girls, plus 2 more, Fort Street was one I think
damn strait fort street was a selective! it was the first selective school or "model school" as the book says.

James ruse jumped up the the top in the early 90's and stayed there, I think it was grammar that was up there bfore that.

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by sths
hey just looking at everyones marks here...makes me jjealous

i got 95.55

but congratulations to everyone

i heard that everyone here goes to james ruse
is it true and whu does?
You got 95.55 and you're jealous of everyone else?

OMG WOMAN! (if you're a guy, then.. sorry. :p)
I would be stoked to get a UAI of 85!

Be very very happy with that UAI... although, if you didn't get into what you wanted.. then.. bugga.. but still, that's a great UAI.

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Everyone excpet for the principal, he wishes that he never existed. It goes against the whole idea of doing well in high school and going to uni which he promotes so much. He mentions Dr Catrina Warren at every occassion possible though. The prefects managed to sneak Jabba into a prefect assembly one year, normally we have past school captains or ex-students who are now officers in the army or great scientists or whatever, not someone who bumbed their HSC and is now on national television.

Your assemblies sound pretty interesting/amusing!

Did most people at JR enjoy/want to do agriculture, or were they mainly there because of the school's selective rep? I mean you've got the state's best and brightest being forced into a compulsory subject (agriculture or otherwise), wouldn't that be a bit limiting?

Also, you must have so many people at JR on the same UAI if there are only 21 uais above or equal to 99, and it being the median score. You would no longer feel special (tho it may be easier to remember ur friends' uais if they all had the same...) Anyway does sound like an interesting school to go to...being surrounded by really smart people all the time.

Pretz

Then you have my school, which is also interesting, in that you'd be surrounded by idiots all the time ;)

nah we were all pretty smart i think, but mostly pretty lazy too.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by timmii
Anyway does sound like an interesting school to go to...being surrounded by really smart people all the time.
Doesn't feel very different, if it's the only school you've been to for the last 6 years...

B

Bambul

In 1984 (I think that was the year) if you went to James Ruse, then in year 11/12 you *had* to do the following subjects:
2u English
3u Maths
2u Agriculture
2u Chemistry
2u Physics OR 2u Biology (atleast one)

Then you got to choose one more (your humanity subject - as in social science, language, etc, not as in to keep you "human"). That year (1984) about 16 year 10 students said that they would be leaving James Ruse to go to another high school because the choice of subjects was too strict and they were willing to leave in order to have a wider choice. We got told that story while we were deciding whether or not to keep agriculture compulsory or not.

I guess some people want to come to Ruse because it offers agriculture, though very few. Most come because it is selective and performs the best academically. I would assume that people who come from farming families that want to do agriculture would go to somewhere like Hurlstone because you can do boarding school there (as they would live pretty far away on their farms) and you can do agriculture in other schools now anyway (like Giraween, even though it is selective, it is the one that comes to mind).

It is quite an experience being at a school like Ruse for your whole high school life. eg. in the maths competition, if you get a HD you get given it out in class because there are about 100 money prize winners each year who get their prizes in assembly and that takes a long time during assemblies. There was a friend of mine who was looking at his report in year 12 and said "look at my rank in English, 56th (or something like that) in the school" and my friend would reply "Just tell your parents - hey look, 56th in the state!"

Then we would go to university open days and when a lecturer would say "The cut-off is quite high, you need to do pretty well, above 90" you would try to hold in your laughter, since about 80-90% of the grade in your school will get a UAI of 90+.

kini mini

HSC
It is quite an experience being at a school like Ruse for your whole high school life. eg. in the maths competition, if you get a HD you get given it out in class because there are about 100 money prize winners each year who get their prizes in assembly and that takes a long time during assemblies. There was a friend of mine who was looking at his report in year 12 and said "look at my rank in English, 56th (or something like that) in the school" and my friend would reply "Just tell your parents - hey look, 56th in the state!"

Then we would go to university open days and when a lecturer would say "The cut-off is quite high, you need to do pretty well, above 90" you would try to hold in your laughter, since about 80-90% of the grade in your school will get a UAI of 90+.
LOL! Such a surreal experience in the elite of NSW ;)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
In 1984 (I think that was the year) if you went to James Ruse, then in year 11/12 you *had* to do the following subjects:
2u English
3u Maths
2u Agriculture
2u Chemistry
2u Physics OR 2u Biology (atleast one)

it's still true... 1984=2002.... everyone did pretty much the same thing.

and some poeple in our grade got <80 so it's not impossible. just a couplea years ago someone got <30.

sorry if i'm slow, but spice girl, who are you?

and bambul, yes, i agree, the principal is a tossa, if that is what you were saying...maybe i'm just dumb...

i think i already bitched in some thread yonks ago about people in my grade who did the point-whatever thing... hehe...

and soice girl : yeah, i still sometimes coem onto this thing though nowhere near as much during trials/exams...hehe..

=)

B

Bambul

Most people do those subjects, but they are not compulsory anymore so people can do more combinations, like me (4u maths/phys/ecos/mod).

I didn't call MJQ a tosser, you'll have a hard time trying to get me to say something bad about him. That doesn't mean I like him, I think he does his job adequately.

jomingara

Originally posted by MinAi
My school is selective, but like, crap
Manly High School...it was the best school on the northern beaches region (according to the Daily Telegraph's list yesterday), yet it was caned by all the private schools in the Northern Suburbs region.

I think we got 5 ppl over 99 this yr
over 90, close to half our grade (50-60 out of 120)
so that probably places me about the top 25 at my school (I got 95.25)

I heard from my economics teacher that he was at some conference with the head teacher - social science at ruse, and couple of yrs back, the head teacher said "yeah, we had one student completley bomb out, he got 88" :rolleyes:
my cousin went to ruse and got 88 a few years ago. it could have been him but he was happy with that and i would be too

SkAnDi

HSC

I guess some people want to come to Ruse because it offers agriculture, though very few. Most come because it is selective and performs the best academically. I would assume that people who come from farming families that want to do agriculture would go to somewhere like Hurlstone because you can do boarding school there (as they would live pretty far away on their farms) and you can do agriculture in other schools now anyway (like Giraween, even though it is selective, it is the one that comes to mind).
Yeah, i think the vast majority of boarders at HAHS, do agriculture (i'm not really sure, but nearly everyone!), then you get some day students who elect to do it since they enjoy it. (it's compulsory up to year 10.)

I reckon nowadays the students choose to go to HAHS not for the agricultural school, but for the academic selectiveness of it, looking through the years, you see a growing trend of fobbiness in the grades, i doubt asians want to learn farming *that* much.

Even so, Ag is pretty interesting, and in the junior years fun, i mean who wouldn't want to stick their arm up a cow's anus!

jomingara

hey steve

its josh. used to go to primary school with u as well as HAHS. im in yr 12 now.
do u know what UAI's your friends got? i havent heard much of the results from our school yet

Josh

SkAnDi

HSC
Originally posted by jomingara
hey steve

its josh. used to go to primary school with u as well as HAHS. im in yr 12 now.
do u know what UAI's your friends got? i havent heard much of the results from our school yet

Josh
Joshua Tang?

I'll contact you through PM :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)