james ruse (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
if u come below-average at ruse, you won't feel so bad cos you know the standards are really high there anyway.

Just some ppl still get low self-esteem cos they don't realise that.

But if you come top ten at ruse or somethin, your family and relatives will (or should) be very proud cos basically it means you're in the very top portion of the state.

mmhmm

i really doubt self-esteem would b a problem at a school like james ruse well if it was the ppl suffering from it must be crazy but i just think it would b very easy to suffer from low self-esteem at a normal selective school.

sths

thx for the posts man

u rkn the average score in JR would be lets say....97-98?

and also katrina warren! cool (lol shes hot and imma guy)

kattrina warren what did she get in her uai?

i heard mieke buchananotha hottie from sbs spoerts and beauty and the beast got a uai of 96....

so sheez.....
these ppl are smart.

btw i go to a selective school and yes ppl are samrt but of course there are the ones who dont do any work like every other school

B

Bambul

There are people who do well who still get really stressed out (I would extend this primarily to most selective schools). There was one guy in my grade who kept on insisting that he was really bad in economics throughout year 11 and that he was going to drop it because he didn't understand anything.

He said it so much that at the end of the prelims whenever he would say it I would ask him what his rank was (he topped economics in year 11) and he would reply that he fluked it. Even though he kept saying that he was going to drop it, he never did. I rekon he would have got a UAI of 100 if only he had done 4u maths, which he could have done without a problem, but he just lacked confidence.

If you lack self-esteem when you are at the top of a school like James Ruse, I don't think that going to another school with lower academic standards would help any. And there are a lot of people like that, who lack self-esteem just because it's their pshychy, not because of a competitive school.

Carbon Suboxide

Hmmm yesterday I was just chattering to my friends about lacking self-confidence at this school... Most of them got a higher UAI than I did, and they're wondering why they kept on worrying if they would do well enough in university in their course, when they really shouldn't need to :rolleyes:

Schemin

Me!
Agricultural High Schools

For some reason the agricultural schools (Ruse, Hurlstone, Farrar, plus any others I may have forgotten) got to do the selective school tests with the selective
What about Yanco Ag High? Does anyone here even have the foggiest about whatever happenned to it? lol

drolle

Woah I had no idea the UAIs at JR and selective schools were so high! I go to a somewhat rural school, and I'd say 5-10% get above 90, and I think the highest UAI in the history of the school was like 98.45!

I spent so much time on these boards, I didn't think 96.45 (my uai) was all that flash (especially since I know I could have done A LOT more work) but all my friends (and relatives) responded to it like it was HUGE, which really tripped me out. It just goes to show what a massive difference being a) at a city school, and b) at a selective school can make to your marks. It does make some sense though since we have practically zero access to any study help outside of school (even our library has nothing useful in it).

Also it's pretty funny that people would think of below 90 as bombing out, since Only 4 of my friends made it into the 90s and I know 3 people who got under 50. :lol:

Btw, is it true that people who get a band 6 in a subject usually did 16 hours of study per week just for that subject? This is what my physics teacher told us, but I doubt most of us did more than 16 hours in the whole year :p

edit: hmmm... < 16 hours of study all year..... most uais below 90.... is it just me or could there be some kind of connection here? :D

Last edited:

Pretz

mmm, not really. my highest mark was in general maths and i studied around that much for the whole year. the only study i did for the actual exam was during the day before. but then it was general maths, so yeah.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by drolle

Btw, is it true that people who get a band 6 in a subject usually did 16 hours of study per week just for that subject? This is what my physics teacher told us, but I doubt most of us did more than 16 hours in the whole year :p
hahaha ur physics teacher has a gud imagination :D

kini mini

HSC

edit: hmmm... < 16 hours of study all year..... most uais below 90.... is it just me or could there be some kind of connection here? :D
I got band 6 or band E4 for 13 units and I'm happy to tell you that your phys teacher is either trying to scare you or has no idea. I did 7 subjects, so that would be 112 hours of study a week :rolleyes:. Even if you count school I wouldn't get there!

spice girl

magic mirror
If that is true then all the people on the merit list did more than 11 hours study per day, 7 days a week!

drolle

The most obvious thing would be that he got confused and meant 16 hours pw total for all subjects, which is about 3 hours per subject. It still seems like a lot to me but it's much more realistic! :)

kini mini

HSC
The most obvious thing would be that he got confused and meant 16 hours pw total for all subjects, which is about 3 hours per subject. It still seems like a lot to me but it's much more realistic! :)
That sounds much more like it - I used to get at least 10 hours done on weekends (more if I didn't have a game on Sat), 2-3 hours Mon-Thu...

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kini mini

That sounds much more like it - I used to get at least 10 hours done on weekends (more if I didn't have a game on Sat), 2-3 hours Mon-Thu...
was that extra study or homework/assessments?

jomingara

Originally posted by spice girl
pffftr...how many year 6's know about world issues?
do they spend their lives watching BTN or something?

and yeh, median UAI last year was 99.00, so for some of us, as Bambul mentioned in another thread, we only refer to our UAI by the last two digits, e.g. "point seven five", cos the first two digits are assumed 99.

And as for teachers, some are crap, some are alrite, and some are really good. But the ppl stuck with the crap teachers usually try to scab stuff off the ppl with the better teachers, so it's not that bad.

someone said that the new yr7's are full of FOB's, like they can't speak english properly, cos FOB's don't need to do the english selective test. So that's a bad sign.

The lowest UAI i've heard so far is 88 pointsomething. I haven't been asking around much tho.
hey
do you know when this person got 88? my cousin went to ruse and got 88 a few years back. i'm curious to know if this is the guy you're talking about.

Josh

Carbon Suboxide

Some of the people have to try very hard, some of the people seem to know far beyond high school level stuff, some of them just never need to study much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)