Jarhead (1 Viewer)

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
anyone watched it? suppose to be out today..

just read some funny quotes from the film.. argghh.. wanna watch it now..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I've seen it. Downloaded it a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was that bad but there isn't any action and it's not particularly funny.

icecreamdisco

HSC
i thought this started brilliantly and evoked the boredom and lethargy of war really well, and i was beginning to wonder why it'd been ignored and even maligned by US critics so much... then i realised it doesn't offer much more than soldiers goofing off and going through the occasional emotional breakdown, and it's depiction of boredom just became plain boring. and i would've liked the final scene if mendes didn't feel the need to accompany it with a redundant voiceover; it kills an otherwise resonant visual coda. still, it's better than american beauty and donnie darko was really good for once. and the scene with the horse on the oilfield was really ethereal and haunting.

Last edited:
HSC
I liked the movie, totally different to what I expected it to be

critiek

HSC
Yeah awesome movie, don't listen to the knobs who complain that the movie has no action. It's an awesome movie, movie of the year ;)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
bit of a statement to say movie of the year...

i liked the beginning of it too, the "things i'd rather not show you", very effective. I like some of the jokes. Bits of it dragged. I enjoyed the movie though.

I paid a lot of attention to the music. Thomas Newman. Now I swear he did charlie and the chocolate factory. Appropriate music. The war sounding type, except with a little bit circus-y, very cute.

I still prefer munich to this movie for this year...

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Yeah the horse was a good touch. I read a review in the paper the other and it just leaked the whole film and all the good bits + ending (although readers who have yet to see the movie wouldnt have noticed).

Thats the problem with War movies. Everyone rushes to buy tickets expecting some sort of Black Hawk Down meets Saving Private Ryan film, only with Jarhead they get male masturbation and a bucket-full of language. Its merely a depiction of War through and how Swafford saw it.

7.62 BOS said:
The acting was awesome and from a technical viewpoint it's excellent. But yeah some of Swofford's colleagues have dismissed the film and book as utter BS. Here's a link: http://www.grose.us/gulfdir/jarhead.htm
Obviously noone in the Marines are going to admit to anything in the book being true (even in the film when the media arives and the Staff Sergeant orders them to limit what they say). That review on that site is utterly BS in its own. Just a bunch of non-backed rant and a guy who thinks Swafford sold the book so that he could look like a hero.

This letter is funny though http://www.grose.us/gulfdir/jhemail8.htm

'Welcome to the suck'

---> Platoon + Apocalypse Now

Last edited:

Valo

HSC
i really enjoyed it. it was different. alot of the stuff was taken from Full Metal Jacket.

Spunge12

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
it's better than american beauty and donnie darko was really good for once. and the scene with the horse on the oilfield was really ethereal and haunting.
Owning 2/3 and having seen 3/3 movies mentioned, i can vouch that this statement is utterly retarded at best.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I thought it was pretty good.
Got its point across, acting was good.
The lit oilfields were spooookay.

icecreamdisco

HSC
Spunge12 said:
Owning 2/3 and having seen 3/3 movies mentioned, i can vouch that this statement is utterly retarded at best.
wait, what was wrong with the horse scene?

and yes, i think american beauty is one of the most overrated films ever made, and gyllenhaal hasn't impressed me before; servicable, but not worthy of his accolades.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't mind Gyllenhaal, but his sister is a better actor that gets far less love.

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
i actually like gyllenhaal a lot, ad not just because im female! i've seen a lot of the films he's in, but he's definately getting better - jarhead and brokeback were two damn fine films for him.

i thought jarhead was great, really engaging... i didn't love american beauty like a lot of other people seemed too, though i didn't think it was terrible. I never saw road to perdition though, so i can't really judge mendes as a director.

and i agree with the above, i think maggie gyllenhaal kicks arse any day, i find her to be very realistic in all her roles (that i've seen her in), which is great, because there's a lot of actors out there who i can't see as being a character, merely an actor playing a character, if that makes any sense... tom cruise... yep, i said it!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Pilgrim said:
watch donnie darko.

anyway this shit is so gay. fucking 80's style.
Donnie Darko, or Jarhead? Because only one of them is '80's style', and it ain't Jarhead.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Pilgrim said:
and yes jarhead is sooo damn gay. talk about maserbation then out of nowhere u see him jacking off to his cheating girlfriend.
jacking off to a girlfriend is gay?

jacking off after 9 months out in the desert with no women in sight but still getting off with a photo of a woman is gay?

Pilgrim said:
what is even more gay is the lack of gun shots on iraqis.
I think you missed the point of the movie. You saw the word "war" and equated it to a blockbuster movie with explosions... hey, I don't blame you. Although I feel you would've empathised with the troops. They too desperatley wanted to shoot people. Did you watch the movie?

Pilgrim said:
plus jamie foxx seemed to be copying samuel L mother fucking jackson in pulp fiction.

ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT?
Can't think of any parrallels except they're both black and they're both generally tough....

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Pilgrim said:
Hey, i didn't come to this site to argue with a lesbian. Bitch Please.

i understand the point of the movie and i do think me (a guy) watching another guy jack off IS gay.

When i buy tickets to a movie about war, i expect to see muslims get shot. Its just natural, like you commiting suicide. I understand all that pussy shit about how war is pointless and stupid and i agree. But if i needed this shit i could have just read a book.

And WOW im SO FUCKING SORRY that i relate too guys with the same character and abilty to yell "MOTHER FUCKER" every two minutes.

Jesus Christ there are some stupid people in this world.
hey, i was pretty civil to you. I even said, "i dont blame you"

I think next time you watch a movie, you should check the plot on the net, same place where you find movie times.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)