• Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by d_carey
Is this what really happened or is it what LATHAM SAID happened.

I hope for the sake of this countries future that all the ppl here who say they support Latham are joking.
actually, it's also exactly what the cabbie said.

People make it out like Latham went and karate-chopped the cabbie's arm to break it, it was a tackle that resulted in a broken arm. And as Bambul stated, the cabbie has also said that he bears no grudge against Latham now, so get over that incident already if you're going to try to argue against Latham.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Ehtnically diverse. Nice term. The reason was Australia is so ethnically divese, and suspicious of immigrants, is that immmigrants come and cluster in there little groups (all around Sydney and Melbourne [Not the rest of the country]). Therefore these immigrants don't mix with 'mainstream' Australia and the rest of the country doesn't know anything about these immigrants except what they hear in the media (those lebanese gang rapists did a lot for public image, didn't they). There's the rest of the country and then there's those suspicious little immigrants who don't try to join the mainstream and don't try to fit in. Or atleast that's the way it seems to the rest of the country.
I know immigrants who do move out of the city and don't seek other immigrants, but try to fit in, and they are accepted. I know people who don't trust 'city immigrants' but would stand up in an instant for ehtnically different people they know. They know.
The point is that immigrants have to join the society, move outof their little encloves and try to become 'Australian'. Segration by choice (which is what they do by making their own little communities) breeds fear and hatred.
If these immigrants (I mean the ones who end up in their own little groups) want to become part of Australia, then the choice is up to them

Last edited:

Benno

HSC
i agree,

it seems to me Australians can accept other cultures they just cant accept ours

if so then they should leave, but i belive in other cultures con-exsisting with our own, each growing richer off the other
which is what is happening in Australia (mainly) beside the few groups who band together

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why (to both posts by Enlightened_One)? English is far from a uniform language, anyway.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
What do you mean why? What I was trying to say (in my own unique way) was that people come to Australia and don't try to learn our langauge or our customs and thus create a rift between them and the rest of society

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
What do you mean why? What I was trying to say (in my own unique way) was that people come to Australia and don't try to learn our langauge or our customs and thus create a rift between them and the rest of society
I agree with this idea...and I always get called a racist because of this, but meh, I guess I'm racist then. If people move here and wish to continue speaking their own language and practicing their countries customs, then thats fine...but I think an effort has to be made to also integrate into Australian culture at large. ANd I think it is possible to do so without throwing all you old customs out the window.
Otherwise, we will only wind up with pockets of other cultures scattered throughout the country, which is not my idea of a "multicultural society".

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
having a japanese restuarant in your suburb doesn't make you tolerant of other cultures. it's what you say and think that decides that. if you were to go live in china, would you avoid making friends with australians and not speak in english to them?

what is being 'australian' anyway? speak in english and live like 'mainstream' aka white australians? so much for multiculturalism. and far out, can people stop making utterly idiotic comments like immigrants should leave. my god.

Blackalicious

HSC
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
At least the economy is strong :)
the economy is only strong because Costello is treasurer, its got nothing to do with the leadership of low-life John Howard....
Go Latham!!!!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
having a japanese restuarant in your suburb doesn't make you tolerant of other cultures. it's what you say and think that decides that. if you were to go live in china, would you avoid making friends with australians and not speak in english to them?

Of course, if I went to Japan (or wherever...) and found a bunch of Aussies who spoke English, I would cling to them like there was no tomorrow! And speak English with them, and talk about Australian stuff...all of that. I don't see how anyone could find fault with that.
But-if I moved to Japan and avoided speaking to other people, or learning about the customs, etc, then I don't see how this has added to the "multiculturalism" of that country. I think it is possible to find a medium between respecting and practicing your original countries language, customs, religion, and so on, while still integrating into society at large. And I think it is this integration that will help our Americanised, white Australian cultures evolve, cos we will learn from these people, and may start to adopt bits and pieces from everywhere.

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Costello should go back to the Labor party :p
Latham + Costello + Alan Cadman = Winning Formula

dibble

Originally posted by freaking_out
yep, in response to the other thread, and recent election of latham as the opposition leader i'm am presenting this poll....btw, i choose latham (coz i'm a labour supporter) but then again, i also think that he has more chances of winning the next elections compared to crean or beazely.
You call yourself a "labour" supporter .. umm .. a strong one clearly ;)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Ehtnically diverse. Nice term. The reason was Australia is so ethnically divese, and suspicious of immigrants, is that immmigrants come and cluster in there little groups (all around Sydney and Melbourne [Not the rest of the country]). Therefore these immigrants don't mix with 'mainstream' Australia and the rest of the country doesn't know anything about these immigrants except what they hear in the media (those lebanese gang rapists did a lot for public image, didn't they). There's the rest of the country and then there's those suspicious little immigrants who don't try to join the mainstream and don't try to fit in. Or atleast that's the way it seems to the rest of the country.
I know immigrants who do move out of the city and don't seek other immigrants, but try to fit in, and they are accepted. I know people who don't trust 'city immigrants' but would stand up in an instant for ehtnically different people they know. They know.
The point is that immigrants have to join the society, move outof their little encloves and try to become 'Australian'. Segration by choice (which is what they do by making their own little communities) breeds fear and hatred.
If these immigrants (I mean the ones who end up in their own little groups) want to become part of Australia, then the choice is up to them
i think the word ur looking for is assimilation? :D

Benno

HSC
Whats the point of coming to Australia if your just going to live like you did back in your country of orgin?

to me that preety much says they should go back to that country

but if the assimulate a little, while still keeping some of the better aspects of their culture all should be good
we would end up with a diverse culture that is still mainly Australian

in other words Australian Culture can benifit greatly from other cultures, just as the people who move here benift greatly from living in Aus

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I love governments. If the economy is going down the crapper it's because of "global events", if the economy is rip-snorting it then it's because of sound economic management. Gotta love governments. The economy is an organism, it's not a machine, you can't just pull a lever and get the desired result. But you can get close.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
That's what I been trying to say. You don't have to give up your heritage, but try to fit in, atleast speak the language.
Were I to move to China, I would keep my heritage, but at the same time I would try to learn their language, and their customs, because it's THEIR country, not mine, so I have to try to fit in, not the other way around.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, i agree that ppl. shuld learn the language, but u can't force migrants to fully assimilate or get pissed off wif them for them bcoz, they carry their culture along....i mean, what abt. when the convicts came over to australia- one can ask why, they didn't learn their language (or atleast respect) the aborigine ppl. who were here for centuries.

Benno

HSC
yeah man coz there were convicts lol
the low life of Brit

i love been desedents from crims
any way the way it was done back then was move in kill the locals and build another jolly old england

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)