Latham's Book (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This is the book that some publishers refused to print because of the nothing but muck throwing. I suspect it's about as readable as his economics books though.
What a spectacular was to go down as an utter arse hole.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
It seems as though everyone has a story now-a-days, (personally I am a huge fan of Latham). Should be an interesting read.

Generator

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...in-tellall-book/2005/06/28/1119724631604.html

Mr Latham says Labor is now a party without hope, being led by a man with no vision.

"Labor got the leader it truly deserves," he said.

"The old party has become a very conservative institution, run by conservative machine men (from all factions) so it is well suited to a conservative, stand-for-nothing type of leader.

"It's beyond repair, beyond reform. That's sad for those Australians who see Labor as our best hope for social justice in this country. But I've got to be honest about it. It's false hope."
Iron woman said:
What a spectacular wa[y] to go down as an utter arse hole.
Heh, that's true.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Iron woman said:
This is the book that some publishers refused to print because of the nothing but muck throwing. I suspect it's about as readable as his economics books though.
What a spectacular was to go down as an utter arse hole.
Despite my long-held affection for the former Labor leader, I certainly agree with you on the book's unpopularity.

Of course, Mark now's this too...so I think, to sell books, his recent outburst against Beazley were an attempt to push sales along. It was uncalled for an unprovoked - this is the only solution.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well Latham did great things for the Labor party.

FOr example he presided over giving the Liberals control of the senate and making his party virtually irrelevant

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
zahid said:
It seems as though everyone has a story now-a-days, (personally I am a huge fan of Latham). Should be an interesting read.
at least i'm not they only one.
Personally I don't blame poor Mark at all - the people I suspect he'll be mud-slinging deserve all of it. The people who were supposed to support him and help him backstabed him, and then threw him to the wolves.
We should be greatful that he's doing the book now - long before the next election.
Meanwhile, good on Faulkner for launching it. I knew I liked him fro a reason :)
In a scathing appraisal, Mr Latham - who quit politics suddenly, citing health problems - argues that Mr Beazley is not worthy to lead the ALP
Im a labor girl, and even *I* dont think he's a very good leader.
*sigh*

Generator

HSC
N/A
As my previous post suggested, as an outsider, he didn't stand for a conservative and bland Labor party run by the factions. Latham may not have been the best person to lead the party (unlike others, I thought that his performance as leader wasn't that bad, even without a law degree under his belt :p), but at least he sought to push the party onto a distinct political path (as much as he could, anyway). Beazley may be liked by many as the conservative yet verbose man that he is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the best person to lead a party that has been in opposition for so long. The ALP is in need of something new yet relevant, and it seems as though Beazley and the faction system will only deliever what is relevant. If the ALP is to account for the 'why fix what isn't broken' idea at the federal level, then something has to change.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
hah! compare latham to billy mcmahon will you!

bill mcmahon was a lad with stars in his eyes and fire in his loins, and he always saluted the national standard on weekdays AND weekends

Collin

HSC
N/A
"People got to see a glimpse of how Carr, Beattie and Gallop are A-grade arseholes. All their provincial bluster and posturing made no difference to anything. Never does."

Ouch.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Are Beattie and Brumby Labor-in-name-only the same way Carr is?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
JKDDragon said:
"People got to see a glimpse of how Carr, Beattie and Gallop are A-grade arseholes. All their provincial bluster and posturing made no difference to anything. Never does."

Ouch.

You cant argue with latham there.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Latham did a brilliant job, the party was on track for a far worse performance under crean - a litteral wipe-out. Not the metaphoric one bandied about which has seen a couple of seats change hands but a litteral one which would have seen Labor become truly irrelevant holding just a handful of seats.

Like him or loathe him he dragged the party from the precipice of ruination.

I believe that politics in general needs more passion and more flair, so in that way Latham was a step in the right direction. I share many of his passions but do not necasserily concur on their solutions.

heybraham

HSC
Generator said:
As my previous post suggested, as an outsider, he didn't stand for a conservative and bland Labor party run by the factions. Latham may not have been the best person to lead the party (unlike others, I thought that his performance as leader wasn't that bad, even without a law degree under his belt :p), but at least he sought to push the party onto a distinct political path (as much as he could, anyway). Beazley may be liked by many as the conservative yet verbose man that he is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's the best person to lead a party that has been in opposition for so long. The ALP is in need of something new yet relevant, and it seems as though Beazley and the faction system will only deliever what is relevant. If the ALP is to account for the 'why fix what isn't broken' idea at the federal level, then something has to change.
exactly! Latham, in comparison to Australia's newfound conservative political environment, could even be considered as revolutionary.

Recalling the proposed policies for the 2004 campaign, who recalls his $8 billion hospital plan for elderly people (forgot what it was called, something involving a senior gold pass), i mean cmon, that was a potential policy of pure genius?

and Howard's reply? $12 billion increased funding to hospitals. yeah just throw money at it why don't you. the last time i've heard anything close to Latham's idea and display of leadership from the Howard government is porbably the *cough*medicare safety net*cough*. (IMO that was one shitty plan, no one understood how it worked...why? because it doesn't.)

and in light of his tasmanian forest policies. he lowered his political rating in TA for the sake of a radical environmental plan. When's the last time you seen Howard do anything like that for the sake of the environment? (or even Beazley) That's not leadership, that sacrifice.

The media's influence is quite scary; the majority in this thread already seem to show at the very least, minor convictions that affirm the general consensus of the media. He called the Liberal party "a congo-line of suckholes"...cmon you gotta give him something for that. Not only is he bloody hilarious, he's also honest with his feelings too. and you what? it's true. the liberal party have just been sucking up to everyone for the last decade they've been in office; the elderly, the taxpayers, the taxpayers who pay top marginal rate (so they can 'work harder' but in reality it's just so the party can recieve more donations to the party from the big shots), home owners (blatant interest rate promises), even our buddy Mr. George Walker Bush

He could have been the Gough Whitlam of the 21st century; albeit Gough Whitlam screwed up the economy [during a time a global recession due to backdoor oil trading] he has remained the most revolutionary political figure in Australia (think medicare).ps. in case you don't know Whitlam was Mark's mentor during the 80s...and he also has a bachelors of economics degree at Sydney uni...with honours. (he may have screwed up in liverpool, alright, give him a break. then again the incident was more probable than not, taken out of context)

the autobiography is Mark Latham's explicit opinion, which should be respected instead of rejected. i can't wait to read it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)