Lecture notes and tutorials (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Do you need to print out every single lecture notes and bring them to tutes & tutorials?
Also, will they provide us with answers to all the tutorial questions ??
What happends if i'm unable to complete the set tutorial questions?

Is it possible to pass the subject by just reading through the lecture notes for most subjects like Business statistics, Integrating Business Perspectives & Economics for Busienss.

Last edited:

m-j24

HSC
Uni Grad
Lecture notes for lectures are a good idea (not everyone prints them though). They aren't required for all tutorials, however I've had some classes where they were needed during the tute.

In subjects like Accounting, they don't post the answers online because it is expected that you go to the tute and work through the answers with the tutor. Economics will post them at the end of the week (once all tutes on both campuses have finished). To get the answers you mostly have to go to the tute and work through them. If you don't understand them/can't complete them, take the opportunity during class to ask the tutor. If it's a tutorial submission assignment that's due during the class, email your tutor before the due date and ask them questions.

I haven't done Stats or IBP, but for Economics I found that I needed more than just the lecture slides - I used the textbook, made my own notes, studied the graphs (notes, practiced drawing them), attempted the mock exams and reviewed all my tutorial work (the weekly exercises/questions).

Hope this is helpful.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Is there any practice exam papers or past papers for any of the subjects at UTS??

m-j24

HSC
Uni Grad
Economics provides a mock mid sem & final which they go through in the lectures. Accounting pre-releases 12 possible questions (6 theory, 6 practical) for the mid sem - you're expected to practice & study them and be ready for the two that they pick for the actual exam. Subjects such as Marketing Foundations released an example of the exam layout but there were no questions.
The only subject I've done that had a past paper (that I know of) was one of my tourism subjects, but I didn't use it in my study.

Other subjects might but I'm not sure.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
IBP kind of tells you the generic questions, but doesn't tell you the scenario for them.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Do you know for Economics, will i need to also buy the "Reading between the lines book as well" or just "Economics" book will be enough?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing economics this semester, and from what my friend told me, he only bought 1 book as far as I know, which was the required textbook, if the other is just a 'recommended' textbook, I dont think there's any need.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Do you know if i need to buy the "Fundamentals of Business Law" book for IBP ?

Last edited:

m-j24

HSC
Uni Grad
Economics only needs one book - which is Economics 6th edition.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know if i need to buy the "Fundamentals of Business Law" book for IBP ?
Do you "need" it? No.

Will there be content from it though? Yes, some.

You can get by without it, however they do use the same book throughout the course (IBP/Accounting/Marketing (I think) and a few other subjects) so they recommend you buy it anyway. You could still get by with just the lecture slides though.

m-j24

HSC
Uni Grad
what about the MyEconLab thing, what does that do?
It comes with the textbook. It's completely optional to use. It's just some multiple choice online quizzes. I used it once or twice, but didn't find it helpful for my study so I just ditched it and studied in other ways.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
If it is useless then i shouldn't worry about it. What about the reading between the lines book that comes with it?
Because i'm thinking of only getting the Economics book secondhand

m-j24

HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly never heard either the lecturer or tutor mention that book. It didn't come with mine and I don't think any of my friends have it either, so I have no idea what the book is for/whether it is any good.

You might find MyEconLab useful if that's how you study, but I personally didn't like it.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
Is is possible to not go to lectures at all for IBP and just read the lecture slides?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You're better off going. It may not seem that interesting but you'll learn more in lectures, and the final exam isn't really marked easily even though it seems easy.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
How do you study for uni? like will be doing the tutorial questions for Business stats or economics be enough to pass?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Enough to pass? Depends how much info you some in, if you understand it, etc... I don't think it'll be enough for stats, might be for economics (provided you actually understand everything).

There are people who do just that and end up failing by a few marks, so just don't be one of those.

As for study methods, you'll have to see what works for you, reading notes, book, lecture slides, making notes, etc... whatever works.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
What happends if i can't do the tutorial questions at all. Will they check homework?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Some do, such as accounting, some don't. I don't think they're compulsory for most subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)