Lindt Sydney siege victims sign deals with Channel 7 and Channel 9 (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
It's their job to train and do counter terror ops in area's they're responsible in. 2nd CDO is responsible for all of eastern australia, SASR is responsible for Western AU.
Damn, how do you know that?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Damn, how do you know that?
Because I'm a military nerd.

And it's on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_assault_group

TAG East draws its members from the 2nd Commando Regiment, and rotates one company through the role for a pre-determined length of time. It is also supplemented with personnel from the Royal Australian Navy's Clearance Diving Teams.[5] The Royal Australian Navy component consists of an operations officer, a clearance diver (CD) assault platoon, and an underwater medic.[6][7] Approximately 30 Clearance Divers are permanently attached to the group at any one time.[8]
Those helicopter's flying during martin place probably was 2nd CDO doing their thing, they're based off near Randwick. Clearance Diver's are our version of Navy SEALs except they don't do as cool missions, they're more focused on Underwater demolition tech work (UDT)

TAG West draws its members from the Special Air Service Regiment and rotates one squadron through the role for a pre-determined length of time. TAG West has primary responsibility for offshore recovery operations, such as ship-boarding or incidents on oil platforms, and also international/overseas incidents.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Anti_Terrorism_Exercise

Cops and DoD SOCOMD train ALL the time in preparation if shit goes down.

So yeah, I'm a huge military nerd and I know people who are active or former members in Aussie mil and US mil.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not journalism it's show business. This is going to turn into a feeding frenzy with messy details and sensationalism. The media manipulates and distorts the truth to maximise ratings. The truth is not so simple.
I agree with this. What we regard as truth by the information disseminated by mass media is simply a deliberate, often biased construction of reality, and we are often compelled to side with a particular version of any news story because of the ulterior motives of the mass media owner. The moral of this realisation is, of course, we shouldn't trust everything we see/hear without critically evaluating the validity/accuracy/reliability of the source we saw it/heard it from.

mreditor16

HSC
It's not journalism it's show business. This is going to turn into a feeding frenzy with messy details and sensationalism. The media manipulates and distorts the truth to maximise ratings. The truth is not so simple.
I agree with this. What we regard as truth by the information disseminated by mass media is simply a deliberate, often biased construction of reality, and we are often compelled to side with a particular version of any news story because of the ulterior motives of the mass media owner. The moral of this realisation is, of course, we shouldn't trust everything we see/hear without critically evaluating the validity/accuracy/reliability of the source we saw it/heard it from.
English Module C LOL!!

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
First rule of journalism: Create a bias.

That's it. Without a bias you'd have the most boring story ever written in journalism. When there's oomph and flair people will watch.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Watching it right now... It's become so overdramaticized but I think its good to reflect on the decisions which were made. Like WHY didn't they block radio transmissions?!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Watching it right now... It's become so overdramaticized but I think its good to reflect on the decisions which were made. Like WHY didn't they block radio transmissions?!
I'm watching too
Preety overly dramatic but rlly interesting tbh

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
kinda dumb to blame tony abbott for not talking to monis

like I get being upset about it be he has no say in the matter, leaders dont talk to hostage takers

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
kinda dumb to blame tony abbott for not talking to monis

like I get being upset about it be he has no say in the matter, leaders dont talk to hostage takers
it actually makes the situation even worst when you cave into to nutjobs. The government pulled all the right moves.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
it actually makes the situation even worst when you cave into to nutjobs. The government pulled all the right moves.
Really, personally I don't think there are any right moves to pull in that situation...

PS: is there video of the stories out, didn't get a chance to watch...

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Really, personally I don't think there are any right moves to pull in that situation...

What does that even mean? There's always a right move in any situation.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Just to add this out there, the police didn't shoot through the Lindt Cafe's Exterior glass panels because it is basically a really strong bulletproof one. Before Lindt Cafe had opened there, it was a bank so hence the reason they couldn't shoot through the glass panels. This is also the same with the channel 7 studios glass panels, they are bullet proof as well (if you were watching tonight you would of seen it).

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
What does that even mean? There's always a right move in any situation.
So you're saying that the right move is one that leaves 3 people dead?

You haven't heard of a catch 22 situation have you?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Hostage situations are like abortions, nobody wants to deal with one and you do it with as minimal amount of casualties as possible.

Speed6: Also I think most cops would be using hollow point bullets instead of FMJ. For those who don't know, hollow points are great for hitting flesh (expands, causing maximum damage etc) and it doesn't go through bodies (great for cops) therefore doesn't really go well through any hard surfaces. Also I highly doubt cops would be rocking with 5.56 AP rounds that would actually go through bullet resistant glass.

Wannaspoon: I'm sure if there was a clear enough shot the police snipers would've taken it a lot earlier. Remember cops are there to primarily make arrests and make the best out of a shitty situation. NSW SRT already done their best there's nothing much they can do. The cafe had MASSIVE open windows so the gunmen knew exactly what's coming for him. Not like cops could've prepped with equipment for forced entry without being too obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)