making my own formal dress (1 Viewer)

Jazicat

HSC
yeah, i have about 15 metres of bias binding and my whole folio to do.
time to freak out now.
you'll have to show me pics too!
good luck
15m is really impressive!!
i just crochet wool that is now 9m long, now to turn it into a magical neckpiece... i am so improvising everything right now with supplies i can find in my house, i totally didn't think anything through! 2 hours of portfolio now and then back to prac when my little brothers and sisters get out of the road. If i can get this done tonight, i have an entire day to do portfolio... that will help. haha we are so crazy.

evil_kitten

HSC
15m is really impressive!!
i just crochet wool that is now 9m long, now to turn it into a magical neckpiece... i am so improvising everything right now with supplies i can find in my house, i totally didn't think anything through! 2 hours of portfolio now and then back to prac when my little brothers and sisters get out of the road. If i can get this done tonight, i have an entire day to do portfolio... that will help. haha we are so crazy.
why did we not think ahead?
i feel like smacking my head against a brick wall.
but i wont. cuz ive learnt from experience that working with a deadline and concussion do NOT mix.

Jazicat

HSC
why did we not think ahead?
i feel like smacking my head against a brick wall.
but i wont. cuz ive learnt from experience that working with a deadline and concussion do NOT mix.
My only way of explaining why we don't think ahead, is because subconsciously, we know that no matter how stressed and how backwards we go, we will still (somehow) pull something amazing out of nowhere... which we will... no brick walls. I'm so ready for two days of no sleep because it'll be the last two nights of not sleeping due to looking and brown silk and black tulle and crochet and felt and wool and lace and ribbon and paint and dye and silver embroidery and sequins and last minute improvisations and portfolios and sewing through my fingers and everything. i don't even care that i have to do my drama major in a week, as long as i get this done.

just keep sewing. and whenever you really really can't stand looking at the bias binding anymore, write a paragraph of your folio. it is going to be ok. it really is. even if we are really stupid and somewhat crazy.

evil_kitten

HSC
My only way of explaining why we don't think ahead, is because subconsciously, we know that no matter how stressed and how backwards we go, we will still (somehow) pull something amazing out of nowhere... which we will... no brick walls. I'm so ready for two days of no sleep because it'll be the last two nights of not sleeping due to looking and brown silk and black tulle and crochet and felt and wool and lace and ribbon and paint and dye and silver embroidery and sequins and last minute improvisations and portfolios and sewing through my fingers and everything. i don't even care that i have to do my drama major in a week, as long as i get this done.

just keep sewing. and whenever you really really can't stand looking at the bias binding anymore, write a paragraph of your folio. it is going to be ok. it really is. even if we are really stupid and somewhat crazy.
i finished my bias binding =D
only took 7 hours..
damn curves.

Jazicat

HSC
how often on average do you wear each of your 130 shoes?
105 and rotated depending on my moods/occasion.

I have some hugely obscure shoes that are hard to find places to wear but i do anyway. like my dutch clogs, high heeled gumboots, and renaissance shoes. but i love them :)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
thinking of modeling my formal dress on this
Special Occasion Dress, Short Formal Dress- Simply Dresses

except with just a simple satin wraparound with a bow.

i kind of want to make it yellow with a white wraparound, any ideas on where to get really soft, nice coloured yellow tulle? not seeing there being enough resources around. hmm.

lychnobity

HSC
thinking of modeling my formal dress on this
Special Occasion Dress, Short Formal Dress- Simply Dresses

except with just a simple satin wraparound with a bow.

i kind of want to make it yellow with a white wraparound, any ideas on where to get really soft, nice coloured yellow tulle? not seeing there being enough resources around. hmm.
I know of a few places in Penrith, Hurstville and City that sell soft tulle.

You should only be charged about $5/m if it's of good quality. In excess of $7/m is a rip off.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I know of a few places in Penrith, Hurstville and City that sell soft tulle.

You should only be charged about $5/m if it's of good quality. In excess of $7/m is a rip off.
which ones in hurstville? pitt trading is pretty crap these days and spotlight's stuff is incredibly hard. rainbow fabrics?

lychnobity

HSC
which ones in hurstville? pitt trading is pretty crap these days and spotlight's stuff is incredibly hard. rainbow fabrics?
nah, i went there, they weren't too good imo. The place I'm talking about is a 10min walk from westfields, it was an Asian shop, can't remember the name.

EDIT: it's called "my hung fabrics" :confused:

i think they have one in parra as well

Last edited:

Freddie09

HSC
I'm in yr 12 this year and I've decided to make my own formal dress. I'm just sick of all the plain old ones that everyone wears.

Does anyone think I'm mad like some of my friends do? Is anyone else doing this? and has anyone done this and how successful was it?
hey hey, yes this is the best thing ever, you get a dress that fits perfectly and is completely unique! the dress i'm wearing in the photo on my profile (the one with the guy in it) my mum made for me. it was so comfortable and no one had the same dress as me lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)