Marketing (1 Viewer)

Hebe Tian

HSC
N/A
Chris. said:
yeh im in my 2nd last year of uni.
hey i got one fail on my transcript, am i really disadvantaged or totally fukd?
Try balance it out with a shit load of extracurric

If you have time..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ultimately, you need to draw from experience in your interviews. For example, they may ask you how you've made a difference to a team you were part of. You need to be able to explain how you've contributed, and what the results were (e.g. customer satisfaction grew by 20%, and sales increased by 10%)

HSC
N/A
I would call that telesales.

I used to do wine telesales... was fun for a while.

danielvh

HSC
Quick couple questions for Stazi:

1) Is a marketing major necessary for a brand management internship/grad position at a company such as P&G? (have you met any successful candidates who didn't major in marketing).
2) What other top brand management positions are out there? Off the top of my head I can think of Coca-Cola Amatil, Pepsico, Unilever... but not really sure of how good these companies would be for brand management or if there are other good ones out there.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
1) A marketing major isn't necessary, but it will greatly increase your chances of obtaining the position. I have, however, worked with an intern who got a CMK (marketing research) position whilst doing Arts. However, he didn't get a grad job offer.
2) The best company for brand management is Procter & Gamble. Other good companies to work in are Sony, Microsoft, Nike, Coca-Cola, Pepsico, Unilever (although now's not a great itme to enter it, as they are restructuring too much), Nestle, and many more. Not all of those have grad programs, though. Also, consider banks (although it's not strictly brand management), as they have decent sized marketing budgets and earnings potential.

michael1990

HSC
Chris. said:
LOL. Do you mean he is the manager for the marketing department of greater union or just a manager for some cinema lol.

hey stas im looking for summer vacation work for marketing this year. who do you reckon i should apply for?
ive only got 6 months of work experience at maccas lol, and i quit that because i moved houses. i have a WAM of 60, needs to be at least pushed up to 65 by the end of this sem.
Manager for the Marketing of the location. Which means he reports to HeadOffice and so forth (regional and NSW Marketing Managers).

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
Is he at the national HQ or is he only at your branch?

I doubt he'd be responsible for setting the direction of the brand. I'm guessing he manages you guys: makes sure you guys have restocked the fridge, makes sure your customers are satisfied, etc. If he does front-line management, again, he wouldn't have time to do any of the other stuff. The stuff he would be doing is the same that regular franchise managers do: again, like Maccas/Video Ezy managers.

Maccas managers get a decent amount of dosh, too, btw, if i'm not mistaken
He is the Marketing Manager for our Location. Which means he decides how our branch is Marketed and reports to HeadOffice including Regional/NSW Marketing Managers.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
why would he be supervising you, then? furthermore, greater unions don't do localised marketing, as far as i know. That wouldn't make much sense given the nature of the business. The extent of his 'marketing' work would be doing mailouts of coupons and submitting session times to the head office.

It seems like your manager is making his job out to be more than it actually is. How much does he get paid?

What specific local marketing decisions would he be making?

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
why would he be supervising you, then? furthermore, greater unions don't do localised marketing, as far as i know. That wouldn't make much sense given the nature of the business. The extent of his 'marketing' work would be doing mailouts of coupons and submitting session times to the head office.

It seems like your manager is making his job out to be more than it actually is. How much does he get paid?

What specific local marketing decisions would he be making?
He decides how the Location is marketed. Meaning, which movies to promote over others, where, when. All those.
Um... He has a Budget. I do know this.

He gets about $65 000 p.a.

It is localised marketing. But you do need to seek the approval of headoffice for somethings. He does it part time, as well as being a GU manager.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
michael1990 said:
He decides how the Location is marketed. Meaning, which movies to promote over others, where, when. All those.
Um... He has a Budget. I do know this.

He gets about $65 000 p.a.

It is localised marketing. But you do need to seek the approval of headoffice for somethings. He does it part time, as well as being a GU manager.
lol...that's basically a simple franchise manager task. For instance, when i was working at video ezy, my manager would decide which movies they would promote internally (e.g. which posters to put up, etc.) He was hardly a marketer.

Your 'part-time marketer-manager' makes very simple marketing decisions. He simply skims the surface of what marketers do by managing the cinema and doing regular franchise management tasks. However, he seems to have a big head: after all, why on earth would a manager even reveal his salary to his subordinates?

How old is he?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
stazi said:
Maccas managers get a decent amount of dosh, too, btw, if i'm not mistaken
Nah they don't. I think I make more now at my job than my managers at maccas did. Plus I remember one time on easter sunday me and this other crew trainer were running off like $30/hr, which the managers said was more than they got. (= no loading, wtf?).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
that's because managers are employed as full time employees. full time workers don't get the casual benefits of extra pay on weekends and public holidays. However, they are guaranteed 40 hours/week, and get super, share ownership plans, and best of all, paid leave.

If your managers earned $25/hour normally, that's $52,000/year.

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
lol...that's basically a simple franchise manager task. For instance, when i was working at video ezy, my manager would decide which movies they would promote internally (e.g. which posters to put up, etc.) He was hardly a marketer.

Your 'part-time marketer-manager' makes very simple marketing decisions. He simply skims the surface of what marketers do by managing the cinema and doing regular franchise management tasks. However, he seems to have a big head: after all, why on earth would a manager even reveal his salary to his subordinates?

How old is he?
I am a personal friend. As well as i know what salaries all the managers are on. As i looked them up.

I mean he works hard. He is 24.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol if he worked hard he wouldn't be the manager of a Greater Union franchise.

michael1990

HSC
stazi said:
lol if he worked hard he wouldn't be the manager of a Greater Union franchise.

I disagree.
Its a great avenue if you know to which direction you should head.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
michael1990 said:
I disagree.
If you knew which direction you should head you'd realise that it's not greater union.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
michael1990 said:
I disagree.
Did he complete university? What degree did he study, and which majors did he take?

and this is a great avenue

This is not:

michael1990

HSC
Azamakumar said:
If you knew which direction you should head you'd realise that it's not greater union.
You would have no idea.

I suppose you think about 150K a year is terrible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)