Marks deducted for using advanced method (1 Viewer)

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
Over the past two days, the teacher has made it quite clear to our class that she strongly dislikes this individual (the advanced method guy). If the situation escalates to one of student discrimination, what can/should he do?

Last edited:

cassieagill

HSC
Today, in the absence of our unfortunate friend, the teacher commented "... I slashed him wherever I could". Over the past two days, she has made it quite obvious to our class that she strongly dislikes this individual (the advanced method guy). If the situation escalates to one of student discrimination, what can/should he do?
go to the principal and the year level co-ordinater, report this teacher immediately, gather witnesses, discrimination is unacceptable and will effect his final scores unfairly

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol thats why u cant act too pro.
sometimes i feel like doing some cheap stuff but i know it can be dodgey so i refrain and stick to the normal stuff.

badquinton304

HSC
This is a joke. You should not be marked down for using a method that may be out of the syllabus, unless the question indicated that either information from a previous part of the question should be used or using the (shells/newton/etc....) method find _____. Human civilization will never move forward by using the same tried and true methods. The fairest solution to this problem would be to give the guy the marks, sack the teacher and send her to work at a supermarket where she will always be putting things on shelves and scanning barcodes using the same methods.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
In a recent 3u exam, my friend used a method that a tutor taught him that goes beyond the syllabus. In this test, he used definite integrals or something to skip the whole evaluating the constant part of the working out in projectile motion (I think).
Now it obviously works since he got all the answers right, but the teacher that marked it HATES tutors (she's a dumb b*tch who thinks tutors are useless etc.) and wrote 'I have never seen this method before. This is not a valid method, you must use what you have learnt in class.'
Because of this, my friend lost 3 marks (he used the method in 3 different questions, losing a mark for each time) costing him first place.
So my question is: is the teacher allowed to do that?
LOL.
Valid but not approved.
Definite integral method is really awesome, saves time but I don't want to be a fool and try something different to risk losing marks.

What the HECK is the definite integral method ?

Do you mean breaking it down such that you have

x acceleration = 0

y acceleration = 9.8

Then integrating from there and subbing in initial conditions ?
This is the indefinite integral method everyone is familiar with:

y" = - g

y' = - g dt

y' = - gt + C

When t = 0, y' = y'0

y' = - gt + y'0

There were limits in the integral sign.
I'm curious how that even works in the HSC.
I don't think we were even taught that in 1st year physics.
The indefinite integral method is best applied to solving differential equations via the separable method which is in MATH1231 (First year session 2) you remember?
So that person should lose marks anyway lolol sucked in.

I think what he means by the definite integral method version is:

[maths]\frac{\mathrm{dv_{y}} }{\mathrm{d} t} = -g[/maths]

[maths]dv_{y} = -g\; dt[/maths]

[maths]\int_{v_{y0}}^{v_{y}}dv_{y} = \int_{0}^{t}-g\; dt[/maths]

[maths]v_{y} - v_{y0} = -gt[/maths]

[maths]v_{y} = -gt + v_{y0}[/maths]

Which is pretty much the same solution as the indefinite integral method.

AND FUCK TUTORS this is why you don't use redundant methods offered by tutors.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Mathematics is one of those wonderful subjects where there is not just one way to reach an answer. There are multiple ways and thank goodness, because by doing that, new things can be discovered.

For a teacher to slash marks because she does not approve or know a method is ridiculous and shows a narrowness of thought that a mathematics teacher should not have.

The person who was marked down should take the paper to the Principal. Don't muck around.

For anyone to say that only "approved methods" should be used is STUPID and restrictive and against the basic premise of thought and inquiry that the school system is supposed to engender.

You can be sure that at Uni, if original thought was put into a question, it may be worth extra marks. There used to be a mathematics competition out of UNSW that gave extra extra marks for showing how certain questions could be done multiple ways.

There is nothing wrong with cross fertilising your knowledge from one subject to another. To compartmentalise subjects, methods and such is stupid, confusing and narrowminded.

GO TO YOUR PRINCIPAL NOW! Take witnesses to the teacher's further remarks because this is plain and simple BULLYING and should not be tolerated.

It would be interesting to know the school this is happening at.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
it really depends on which method was used and if most markers know the method. Heaps of students lost marks in our exams for using a Truong method, so yeah, depends.
Which Truong method is this?

q3thefish

HSC
Today, in the absence of our unfortunate friend, the teacher commented "... I slashed him wherever I could". Over the past two days, she has made it quite obvious to our class that she strongly dislikes this individual (the advanced method guy). If the situation escalates to one of student discrimination, what can/should he do?
Lol @ this teacher man, I swear. Egg her or somethin already :/

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
It really depends on the teacher. I go to a coaching college which assumes that maths is easy - so we get taught a lot of advanced methods.

At my school, we have two MX1 classes, my class being the more advanced one. Hence my teacher allows us to use any method, whereas the other teacher often has a problem with it (I've been marked down because of it - e.g. using implicit differentiation, sign of y' instead of second derivative when sketching).

However in the HSC, I think any method is suffice.

kitemask

HSC
The teacher is an idiot. Yes, I am fortunate enough to share the same teacher as Youngminii.

LOL.
she's not THAAAAT bad...to girls...HAHA.
but you do realize...our principal's not gunna do anything at all.
has he even asked his own teacher?

ascentyx

HSC
write ur method on ur dick then turkey slap that whore so it imprints on her face.

shaon0

HSC
In 4unit, i think you can use the definite integral method but don't know about 3unit & my teacher has stated that you should state what method or theorem you have used as you can't be punished for knowing too much math BUT it's adviced that you should use a method in the syllabus ie. you can't use separation of variables method or other methods in the HSC.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
I think you can use eulers theorem for complex numbers as long as you prove it first (only like a 5 line proof). Simplifies many questions...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
(I've been marked down because of it - e.g. using implicit differentiation, sign of y' instead of second derivative when sketching).
That's a 4U method, and should be allowable in a 3U exam.

Like how I used integration by parts in an inverse trig exam, and the teacher marking it laughed (and got full marks too).

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Do u need to prove it? I don't think u do...

Anyway how it is simpler?

micuzzo

HSC
In a recent 3u exam, my friend used a method that a tutor taught him that goes beyond the syllabus. In this test, he used definite integrals or something to skip the whole evaluating the constant part of the working out in projectile motion (I think).
Now it obviously works since he got all the answers right, but the teacher that marked it HATES tutors (she's a dumb b*tch who thinks tutors are useless etc.) and wrote 'I have never seen this method before. This is not a valid method, you must use what you have learnt in class.'
Because of this, my friend lost 3 marks (he used the method in 3 different questions, losing a mark for each time) costing him first place.
So my question is: is the teacher allowed to do that?
thats not a special method and is not beyond the syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)